Have you ever been the only passenger on a train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Haithcoat

Engineer
Honored Member
A current post refers to the Kentucky Cardinal sometimes operating with zero passengers. That sparks this question. Have you ever been the only passenger on a train, and the answer for me is "yes".

It was on the Georgia Railroad mixed train from Atlanta to Augusta probably about 1970. A mixed train was a freight train which hauled passengers in some kind of facility, sometimes a coach, sometimes a caboose. Usually they were on branch lines, not a main like this.

The Georgia R.R. got some kind of huge tax break by continuing to haul "passengers" so they usually had a coach(actually a former streamlined coach from the pre-Amtrak Crescent, ironically enough) but with no running water or heat or air. Very dirty and dusty. Jugs of bottled water for use. There were usually only or or two passengers a MONTH. Almost 99.9999 percent railfans. The public was not even meant to take it seriously It was purely a tax break.

It had a printed schedule but that was meaningless---it left whenever the train got made up---hours early or late either one....what you did was call the classified yard dispatcher to see when it would leave that day. A trip which would take a normal train or bus four hours took this train 12 hours the day I rode it.

On a more conventional note---the question is about being the only passenger. I read an article not too long ago in TRAINS magazine that said one day the Broadway Limited (pre-Amtrak) left Philadelphia with no passengers. Apparently somebody must have ridden it from NYC to Philly. Perhaps some got on west of Philly, I don't know.I have also read of a Southern R.R. train in the Carolinas running one day without a single pssenger the entire trip.

Come to think of it, about four years ago I was the only passenger on the Piedmont when it left Raleigh in the morning---but others did board further down the line.

A friend of mine and I once rode Virginia Railway Express (VRE). We were on a reverse-peak train, that is, inbound from Manassas to Washington, DC in the evening. We were the only two passengers on board. Since he lives in Virginia he got off in Alexandria, leaving me with my own commuter train consist from ALX into Washington Union Station where I would board Amtrak home. Since the VRE train was running late, and this train had a quick turn as a revenue outbound evening rush hour train, there were hundreds standing on the platform at Union Station waiting to board as I, the sole passenger, disembarked.

Bill Haithcoat said:
It was on the Georgia Railroad mixed train from Atlanta to Augusta probably about 1970. A mixed train was a freight train which hauled passengers in some kind of facility, sometimes a coach, sometimes a caboose.
My father would call a mixed train like this a "hog 'n human", whether or not the freight it was hauling was hogs. Actually, because he had to ride so many trains back in WWII, he doesn't care much for rail travel and calls ANY train a "hog 'n human". :lol:

seajay

Well, as far as the only passenger on a train, I have to say no (fortunately). That would be pretty bad for Amtrak if I was the ONLY passenger on an entire train! About the closest I have seen to this is when I was only one of eight people aboard a Capitol Corridor train between San Jose and Oakland. More people boarded in Oakland though.

I have been, however, the only passenger on an Amtrak California Thruway Motorcoach once, between Bakersfield, CA and Chatsworth, CA on the San Joaquin line. It was kind of strange, too, since the motorcoach driver/engineer went through an entire five minute list of motorcoach guidelines over the P.A. system and made the announcements as if he was transporting a full load (when I was the only one on board, sitting in the seat directly behind the driver/engineer).

Good topic!

jccollins said:
Well, as far as the only passenger on a train, I have to say no (fortunately). That would be pretty bad for Amtrak if I was the ONLY passenger on an entire train! About the closest I have seen to this is when I was only one of eight people aboard a Capitol Corridor train between San Jose and Oakland. More people boarded in Oakland though.
I have been, however, the only passenger on an Amtrak California Thruway Motorcoach once, between Bakersfield, CA and Chatsworth, CA on the San Joaquin line. It was kind of strange, too, since the motorcoach driver/engineer went through an entire five minute list of motorcoach guidelines over the P.A. system and made the announcements as if he was transporting a full load (when I was the only one on board, sitting in the seat directly behind the driver/engineer).

Good topic!
FYI the driver was a moron

if that was me (you cant pay me enough to drive the Amtrak buses) I would have told you directly those rules. weirdo driver.

those guys do too many hours probably and he was delerious heheh

:blink:

I have been the only person in my car on a Capitol Corridor train several times during the summer south of Oakland. One night I was one of 10 on a train between San Jose and Emeryville. I too have been in the situation where I was the only one on an Amtrak California bus from Fremont to Oakland on several occasions.

Viewliner said:
I'll bet the driver would've made the announcement even if the bus were empty. :lol:
Actually he's probably required to make those announcements, no matter how many people are on the bus. While it does seem stupid and rediculous, if that one person is a state or federal inspector, the driver could get written up for not making the announcement.

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
I'll bet the driver would've made the announcement even if the bus were empty. :lol:
Actually he's probably required to make those announcements, no matter how many people are on the bus. While it does seem stupid and rediculous, if that one person is a state or federal inspector, the driver could get written up for not making the announcement.
I meant compeletely (i.e. only him)

1966 - rode the San Joaquin Daylight Bakersfield to Mojave, then took an ATSF mail train back. Equipment all head-end cars with a 'rider coach' for the crew. They were flabbergasted! Crew said they had never seen a passenger before, and weren't even sure they were supposed to carry passengers!

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
I'm not sure if the bus drivers are supposed to make standardized announcements or not. Most of the time when I'm on the bus between Bakersfield and Chatsworth the driver only says "welcome aboard," or if they do make announcements they hardly say anything, maybe just the stops for the bus. The driver I'm referring to announced everything in the book, from the stops (even though he knew where I was getting off) to how to walk down the aisle while the bus was in motion. He was probably, (like you mentioned, Alan) doing everything by "the book." I thought it was unnecessary for him to stop at all the drop off only stops before mine on the way to Chatsworth, too. If they are drop-off only and no passengers will be boarding, why stop at all of them instead of going directly to my stop? I think he must have been new or something... :rolleyes:

In the late 80's I had a whole coach to my self on Amtrak. This was the New Orleans to Kansas City through coach. I had this car to myself most of the night. I thought that was pretty cool.

Many of the TA's for the Palmetto say that Business Class is frequently empty, or with a few passengers. I have been by myself in a car a few times, when the 42-43 coaches are empty as we leave the Tri-County area down here. I have also been by myself in a Tri-Rail cab coach that was DHing back to MIA after a light rail test in SFD-ORL. That was pretty cool being in the (disabled) control room just looking back on the empty tracks. The best feeling though is being in the cab when you're going forward though (TEE-HEE!).

Steve 4031, that brings back memories. That Missouri Mule(or whatever it was called, connecting with the City of NO) is one of those trains which I wish I had ridden but never did.

Once, about 8 years ago or so, my dad and I were taking a day trip up to Milwaukee on the Hiawatha. It was the first one of the day, think it left Chicago at 8:00 (before the newer earlier one was available). He and I were the only two on it from CHI to MKE. It was a pretty neat experience too, because that was when they were still doing the push/pull with the old metroliner cab car, and we were being pushed! So what happened is, we went up to the cab, and the engineer, conductor and the two of us just BSed the whole trip. It was a great time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back