HD Radios on board train

• Thread starter Roger Dodger the III
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roger Dodger the III

I have an Insignia portable HD Radio and I was wonder how reliable is to receive the regular HD channels and the HD+ (i.e. HD-2, HD-3 etc) on board an Amtrak, specificially train #91 or #97.

The Silvers go thru some rather rural areas. I am not sure you could get digital FM stations in those portions of your journey.

I have taken my portable AM/FM/SW radio on the train and have not been able to get a clear signal at most times.

If we are in a station and I put the radio to the window, I can get a signal clear enough to listen.

If you have success with a HD radio, do let us know.

What is an HD radio? Have I missed something, I didn't know we had that yet. I am still dealing with the loss of all TV reception in rural areas last year.

If you are referring to satellite radio, you will get recption if your window faces the satellite. When the train turns around curves you wll have dropouts.

A few years ago I experimented with GPS and computer wi-fi from Amtrak, and found that both work much better from the upper level of a superliner (if you have a choice) than downstairs. If you have an external antenna with a rubber suction cup to stick on the window, you will do OK. If your device sits in your lap, forget it except for the wi-fi in metropolitan areas.

If you are upstairs in a sightseer lounge car, you should also be OK.

Having windows between you and the bird(s) is always the key.

XM or Sirius should do pretty well :cool:
Is this true?

The antenna needs to see the sattellite (more or less) directly

without any metal in the path. I would think that the body of

the car would interfere unless you can "see" the sattellite

through a window.

--

Bud

What is an HD radio?
HD = Hybrid Digital
It means that the radio stations are broadcasting a digital and analog signal at the same time on the same frequency (the opposite of the TV deal, which was analog and then digital). Purveyors of the hardware attempt to make it sound like it's "High Def" and it's significantly better than "regular" radio, much like a HD picture on TV is much better than SD, but that isn't the case.

You may be able to do Sirius/XM decently, but that's going to be highly dependent on being able to see the satellite through a window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back