"headphone rule"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've never had anyone ask me to turn the scanner off or put headphones on when I've had my door closed. Mind you I also don't turn the sound up super high either.

If however I open my door, then I've already put my headphones on. I don't wait to be asked, as I don't think that it is fair to my fellow passengers.

I personally don't use headphones on my scanner for a few reasons. I'm usually in the lounge where there are Conductor radios picking up the same stuff, headphones are cumbersome when walking throughout the train, and in a setting like the lounge where people are talking anyway it's not necessary. Now mind you this is a scanner we're talking about in the lounge. As for TV's, radios, etc. in the coaches you will usually be asked to put on headphones. In a sleeper however, as long as the device isn't blaring, it's your room, do what you wish.

Have traveled on multiple trips on virtually all the US lines as well as VIA, both coach and sleeper. I do not have headphones, and have never been asked to use them or turn off my scanner (which I always have on). I keep it low out of courtesy in sleeper, but have it on full in lounge (nearly all other passengers are intrigued and interested in scanner traffic and "what's going on")

That's been essentially the reaction I've gotten. While it means little to the average Joe Shmo (since not many people know where some of these places are, i.e. Palm Center, Delta, Ridge, etc.), it means something to me. It's actually sort of funny, some of the extra board Conductors will look at me when someone asks how long til we get to _____, as I know the territory better than some of them. :lol: And most of the time I'm right to within 5 minutes under normal circumstances.

I use my laptop/DVD player and our scanner in the sleeper and we have never used headphones - we even asked our neighbors on our last trip if we were disturbing them at all (and they said no). I would never want to disturb anyone onboard but I think that using headphones in coach is a must but in a sleeper not as big of an issue.

I use earbuds which aren't very cumbersome at all whenever I have my scanner with me when I'm out in public just because not only do I not want to disturb people around me but they don't need to know what I'm listening to either :)

I have never had any trouble on Amtrak, although on a private excursion I did once. I like being able to hear the sounds of the train while listening to the scanner, so I have never really seen headphones as an option.

Unless there really good, sound proof, head phones, one can hear the train sounds with them on. I don't like using big bulky head phones either, I go with the ear piece ones if it all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back