Hearland Train to DFW Airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maria

My family and i (hopefully) will take the Heartland train from Norman, OK to Fort Worth but need to get to DFW Int'l Airport. Is there a shuttle/train/bus that takes us there?? I am a bit confused about the DART or the TRE. Don't really understand -- anyone?? help??!!! And, how long does it take?? Or, should we just taxi and how much would that be??

The Trinity Railway Express stops at the same station in Ft. Worth as the Heartland Flyer. It is then about a 25 min ride to CentrePort/DFW Station where a free shuttle takes you to the airport.

Things to keep in mind:

Fare is $3.50 per person each way.

You will likely have an hour+ wait for the transfer.

Be sure looking at the schedule that your return flight will get you to CentrePort in time to catch the TRE to get to Ft. Worth ITC in time to catch your return Heartland Flyer.

TRE does not operate on Sundays.

No baggage help on TRE.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Dart' is the public transit system in Dallas. 'The T' is the public transit system in Fort Worth. TRE is the train that runs between the 2 cities multiple trips per day except Sunday.

I have done DFW-FTW once - it worked fine. It is a surprisingly long ride from the airport terminal to the Centerport TRE station. IIRC, I actually had to change vans once midway. So it takes some time but it works fine. TRE is surprisingly well patronized.

I have taken the TRE from Dallas to DFW and from DFW to Fort Worth on

several occasions. It is convenient and thrifty. I have had to wait

on the bus and train, but I consider it much better than a $60.00 cab

ride.

'Dart' is the public transit system in Dallas. 'The T' is the public transit system in Fort Worth. TRE is the train that runs between the 2 cities multiple trips per day except Sunday.

I have done DFW-FTW once - it worked fine. It is a surprisingly long ride from the airport terminal to the Centerport TRE station. IIRC, I actually had to change vans once midway. So it takes some time but it works fine. TRE is surprisingly well patronized.
Why the surprise about the TRE?

I think the suprise is the implication that the bus goes from CentrePort directly to the terminals. It does not. One boards the bus at CentrePort/DFW TRE Station, rides for 10 minutes to REMOTE SOUTH parking area and then transfers to the shuttle that takes them to the correct terminal. One goes to Terminals A & C, one goes to Terminals B & E, and one goes to Terminal D. Depending on the terminal, the internal airport shuttle can add 20 minutes to the ride, NOT INCLUDING waiting times at REMOTE SOUTH.

Oh - if the suprise is referring to ridership, that's no suprise. They've been running better than 2 million passengers per year (6500 persons per day) since service began to Ft Worth in 2002.

I think the suprise is the DROP in ridership in FY2010 of 2.5 Mil vs 2.7 Mil the previous two years.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a resident of DFW, pretty much all statements are correct. Your Heartland Flyer train arrives into FTW at 12:39 PM. The next Trinity Railway Express (TRE) leaves FTW at 1:51 PM. Children and Seniors can ride at a reduced rate of 85¢ one-way. Adults are $3.50 one-way. Assuming you catch the 1:51 PM train you'll arrive at the Centreport/DFW Airport Station at 2:15 PM. There will be a yellow bus waiting to drive you up to DFW Remote South Lot that leaves at 2:19 PM, and then you transfer to another shuttle depending on which terminal you go to. I wouldn't plan on arriving at your terminal until around 2:50 or 3:00 PM. So make sure your flight leaves after 4:00 PM or later! As you may know, DFW Airport is very spread out which is why it takes awhile to transfer around the terminals and down to the parking lots.

Of course all the schedules I gave you are only good on a weekday or Saturday. The TRE does NOT run on Sundays. If you happen to be coming in on a Sunday you might can look at Super Shuttle or one of the other shared van ride companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back