Heartland Flyer discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaseMeBro

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I'm sure this ground has already been covered, but I'm not having much luck with search.

In a few days, I've got a work trip to OKC, followed by an extra day where I don't need to get home urgently. Rather than flying home from OKC, I'm taking the Heartland Flyer down to FTW, and flying home from Dallas. (Simply because I've never taken that train before, and it seems like a good way to spend a half day).

Question 1 - I know I've seen resources for on time performance before, but all I can find searching are pretty dated reports. Does that train tend to run pretty close to on time (arriving into FTW about 12:30 pm)?

Question 2 - Any tips for getting from FTW to the airport? (DAL/Love Field, not DFW). On Google Maps transit, there's an option involving a bus and two DART rail links, or the possibility of taking DART to DFW, then a shuttle from DFW to DAL - those all seem to take ~2 hours. It seems that it's best just to take an Uber, which will cost $60-70, and take about an hour.

I'm looking at a flight leaving DAL around 3pm. So, if the train arrives about 12:30, it seems like I could very conservatively get to DAL using an Uber by 2, which is fine for a 3pm flight. That's my first choice of flight, though there are later flights I can SDC to without penalty or extra cost.

Question 3 - Is the seating assigned? When I booked the ticket, the only choice was "upper or lower level" (I chose upper). I'm most used to the Surfliner, where lower level is mostly for passengers with mobility concerns, and seating upstairs is open. Would getting a window seat be mostly luck of the draw?

Question 4 - Any recommendations for breakfast near the OKC station?

There is the shiny new Texrail that can get you from FTW to DFW. From there you can transfer to DART and need to transfer to a bus for the final leg to Love Field.

This sounds like quite a time consuming option, so if you are pressed for time an Uber might make more sense.

Last edited:
There is the shiny new Texrail that can get you from FTW to DFW. From there you can transfer to DART and need to transfer to a bus for the final leg to Love Field.

This sounds like quite a time consuming option, so if you are pressed for time an Uber might make more sense.
Thanks, yeah.. that's how it looked on Maps / Transit. I think I agree with you, that an Uber is the way to go. I could take a later flight, and deal with transit, but it's a lot of extraneous "stuff", which will end up taking twice the time, to save maybe $30.

Plus, if I take the Uber, I would likely make the earlier flight, and have the later flight as a backup if there's more storms/delays that come through. If I take transit, I'm pretty much stuck with the later flight as my only option.

Thanks, yeah.. that's how it looked on Maps / Transit. I think I agree with you, that an Uber is the way to go. I could take a later flight, and deal with transit, but it's a lot of extraneous "stuff", which will end up taking twice the time, to save maybe $30.

Plus, if I take the Uber, I would likely make the earlier flight, and have the later flight as a backup if there's more storms/delays that come through. If I take transit, I'm pretty much stuck with the later flight as my only option.
Very much so.

I think the transit option only really makes sense if having done that is going to be part of the experience of it all.

There are several Hotels with Cafes in the Tourist oriented Bricktown,and various Cafes located around the Bricktown Baseball Stadium which is close to the Amtrak Station. ( Unstaffed/old Santa Fe).

But keep in mind that the Heartland Flyer leaves fairly early ( usually on Schedule)so you might want to just grab a Cup of Coffee or Tea and order "Breakfast" from the Downstairs Cafe on the Train.( its one of the few Snack Coaches that Amtrak has)

Also keep in mind that the Traffic in the DFW Area can be Brutal( not as bad as Houston but bad!)and you could run into delays enroute from FTW to Love Field!

You could also ride TRE from the Ft Worth Station to Union Station in Dallas, then take a Ride Share or Cab to Love Field.( I did this last Spring when I flew out of Love and it was $30 from Union Station to Love Field.)

Last edited:
You could also ride TRE from the Ft Worth Station to Union Station in Dallas, then take a Ride Share or Cab to Love Field.( I did this last Spring when I flew out of Love and it was $30 from Union Station to Love Field.)
Yeah, if the schedule for the TRE works it might be a good ride and if it were me I would probably like to try it. If there's traffic could it beat the Uber? There is a stop a bit closer than Union Station called Medical/Market Center, a 50 minute ride from the Fort Worth station. Maybe just take an Uber from there to Love Field.

Yeah, if the schedule for the TRE works it might be a good ride and if it were me I would probably like to try it. If there's traffic could it beat the Uber? There is a stop a bit closer than Union Station called Medical/Market Center, a 50 minute ride from the Fort Worth station. Maybe just take an Uber from there to Love Field.
That's an excellent idea!

Having taken the Flyer in May, there is no assigned seating within floors but I recommend the upper floor if you can make it up the stairs. I recommend a seat on the right-hand side as you are facing the direction of travel (south). Conductors will shuttle you in a specific car or two if you're direct to FTW, as platform space at the intermediate stops is at a premium.

From what I remember in the data I looked at, the Flyer is punctual heading from OKC to FTW. Just be mindful of going on the day of your flight in case of a late cancel or a big delay. In theory your proposed schedule to fly out at 3pm is probably fine if it is in Switzerland but that makes me a little nervous in the USA; you have to count on everything being on time if you're using Amtrak and TRE.

TRE crossing their DFW stop (e.g, the Irving Wall) will cost you $12, even one-way. You'll need to buy a regional day pass. However, that price includes DART buses and trams to DAL. TRE isn't that interesting, especially if you've been on Coaster or Metrolink or GO in Ontario - but it's definitely more time on the high iron.

For breakfast spots in OKC it might depend on where you're staying. There might be something in Bricktown, which is quite close to the station. StellaNova is close by if you're downtown. I ate at Hatch Early Mood Food on N. Broadway at NW 10th and can recommend it. From there you can grab the streetcar at 10th to head to the station.

That seems like it could potentially work really well. There's a TRE departure from FTW Central at 12:52 PM, which seems like I'd have excellent chances of making from the Heartland Flyer.

And the Medical/Market Center station is only about 4 miles from DAL. Not only that, at least the one quick check I just did, it seems like getting an Uber around that station is super easy/available.

Having taken the Flyer in May, there is no assigned seating within floors but I recommend the upper floor if you can make it up the stairs. I recommend a seat on the right-hand side as you are facing the direction of travel (south). Conductors will shuttle you in a specific car or two if you're direct to FTW, as platform space at the intermediate stops is at a premium.

From what I remember in the data I looked at, the Flyer is punctual heading from OKC to FTW. Just be mindful of going on the day of your flight in case of a late cancel or a big delay. In theory your proposed schedule to fly out at 3pm is probably fine if it is in Switzerland but that makes me a little nervous in the USA; you have to count on everything being on time if you're using Amtrak and TRE.

For breakfast spots in OKC it might depend on where you're staying. There might be something in Bricktown, which is quite close to the station. StellaNova is close by if you're downtown. I ate at Hatch Early Mood Food on N. Broadway at NW 10th and can recommend it. From there you can grab the streetcar at 10th to head to the station.
Thanks for the info on seating - that seems just fine with me. Was just hoping to get a window seat, and I'll keep in mind to try for a right hand seat.

I'm not super worried about getting the 3pm flight. I'm travelling carry on only, have Clear and PreCheck, and am generally pretty adept at clearing airport "stuff" quickly. I can also same day change my flight without financial penalty, and there's a couple options, with varying degrees of convenience, that would work if I miss the 3pm.

I'm staying at the Bricktown Omni - I had planned to just walk over to the station (barely half a mile away). Hatch Early Morning looks good, especially if there's a streetcar as an alternative to walking 1.5 miles each way. For that smoked salmon benedict, even the walk might be worth it..

Just be mindful of going on the day of your flight in case of a late cancel or a big delay. In theory your proposed schedule to fly out at 3pm is probably fine if it is in Switzerland but that makes me a little nervous in the USA; you have to count on everything being on time if you're using Amtrak and TRE.
The close connections could be kind of 'thriling' if anything goes wrong.

There wouldn't be much time for lunch, although there are probably some hospital cafeterias in the Medical/Market center.

I'm not sure what kind of menu the Heartland Flyer has but that might be lunch.

I'm not super worried about getting the 3pm flight. I'm travelling carry on only, have Clear and PreCheck, and am generally pretty adept at clearing airport "stuff" quickly. I can also same day change my flight without financial penalty, and there's a couple options, with varying degrees of convenience, that would work if I miss the 3pm.
I'd be more worried about the Flyer canceling as that's the only run of the day. It isn't the Surfliner where you can hop on another train earlier or later.

I'd be more worried about the Flyer canceling as that's the only run of the day. It isn't the Surfliner where you can hop on another train earlier or later.
That's a good point, but if it does, it does, I suppose. I'll be in OKC anyway and there are flight options home from there as well (that's actually what I originally had booked). Especially if it did cancel, I'd know pretty early in the day and could work around that.

Thanks for the info on seating - that seems just fine with me. Was just hoping to get a window seat, and I'll keep in mind to try for a right hand seat.

I'm staying at the Bricktown Omni - I had planned to just walk over to the station (barely half a mile away). Hatch Early Morning looks good, especially if there's a streetcar as an alternative to walking 1.5 miles each way. For that smoked salmon benedict, even the walk might be worth it..
The mentions of Lunch reminds me to say don't plan on eating Lunch @ Love Field.

The place is a Zoo, and there are always Lines @ the Fast Food type places that feature Airport/Stadium Prices ( ie $10.50 for a Chick Filet Sandwich/Coke $5 etc ) with few places to sit as so many are waiting for flights.( its Southwest Airlines Major Hub)

Also theTSA Security Lines are extremely Long and slow most of the time, but you did say you had Status so perhaps this won't slow you up?

The mentions of Lunch reminds me to say don't plan on eating Lunch @ Love Field.

The place is a Zoo, and there are always Lines @ the Fast Food type places that feature Airport/Stadium Prices ( ie $10.50 for a Chick Filet Sandwich/Coke $5 etc ) with few places to sit as so many are waiting for flights.( its Southwest Airlines Major Hub)

According to the Amtrak web site the Heartland Flyer does have Cafe service. For some reason when I try to see the menu the 'page cannot be found'.

They might have food on the plane but by then it will be almost dinnertime.

According to the Amtrak web site the Heartland Flyer does have Cafe service. For some reason when I try to see the menu the 'page cannot be found'.

They might have food on the plane but by then it will be almost dinnertime.
Just Google up HeatlandFlyer Cafe Menu/ it'll show the Offerings and Prices/ pretty much Standard Cafe stuff, including Breakfast and Lunch items,and Drinks including Alcohol!

The Conductors and LSAs on this Route are known for their Friendliness, in a way it reminds one of the Downeaster.

That sucks but at least you got early enough notice to make necessary changes and were prepared for necessary changes. I have thought about a weekend type trip to OKC just to ride the Heartland Flyer myself.
True. I finished teaching a class as part of my trip to OKC, to a night shift.

My plan had been to head to hotel, nap a couple hours, then relax on the train til Dallas, and catch a flight home.

Ended up snagging an early flight from OKC instead, and on a layover as I type this.

Missed trying out the train, but fortunately no other consequences.

Was back out in OKC a few days ago, and decided to have another go at it.

This time I stayed at the Wyndham Grand (formerly the Renaissance), just adjacent to the the train station. I can recommend that hotel if you're looking for somwhere to stay nearby. Good service, clean room and common area, spacious bathroom, quiet AC, and a decent (for pay) breakfast. The decorating was a little dated, but everything was in good shape.

Arrived to station a few minutes after 8, wandered around a couple minutes, boarded about 8:10 for an on time departure.

Only one of the two passenger cars was in use, and we all boarded into that car. Amtrak site said the train was about 30% full (Monday morning departure), and that looked about right to me.

Vast majority of passengers boarded in OKC, and stayed on til FTW, with only a handful of turnover at the few intermediate stops.

Cafe car opened within about ten minutes of departure, and was announed over the PA. I only went by once, but they seemed well stocked and service was absolutely friendly. Prepack blueberry muffin was tasty. The coffee was... well, lets just say it was hot, and leave it at that.

At seat power was working, windows more-or-less clean. Baggage storage downstairs was pretty full (for a lightly loaded train), but nearly all the overhead space was available.

OKC station (shown below) was really pretty. FTW station.. um.. I'll be charitable and call it "less pretty".

Arrived just in time to see the Eastbound TRE departing. Debated taking an Uber to DAL (Dallas Love Field), but ended up following the idea @tgstubbs1 suggseted above. Hung around an hour, bought a $12 "cross region" daypass on my phone. Took the TRE to Medical/Market, then a short/cheap Uber from there to the airport. About 50 minutes on the TRE, plus ~10 for the Uber - so honestly probably very close to what a mid-day Uber would have taken.

@Bob Dylan DAL was pretty busy, but moving well. With Clear + PreCheck I was through security in maybe 3 minutes tops. The general security line I'd guesstimate at 20 minutes-ish.

Attachments

• feeds.JPG
    feeds.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 0
  • station.JPG
    station.JPG
    254.8 KB · Views: 0
Back