HEARTLAND FLYER PICKS UP SPEED

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's Amtraks official press release on this:

The Heartland Flyer (Trains 821 & 822), the daily Amtrak trains between Oklahoma City and Fort Worth, will have a new schedule reflecting a 16-minute faster trip, effective January 12.
The service is operated by Amtrak under a contract with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) and with the support of the Heartland Flyer Coalition, a grass-roots group representing the communities along the 206-mile corridor.

The Heartland Flyer operates over a route owned by the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway and recently the BNSF completed an upgrade of its signal system that will allow the train to reach its top speed of 79 M.P.H. over more of its route.

The signal system improvement was supported by ODOT federal safety funds and is the first in a series of planned infrastructure upgrades designed to develop a corridor that went for 20 years without regular passenger train service.

"ODOT is working with Amtrak and BNSF to make more improvements to reduce the scheduled travel time and further improve the service," said Paul Adams, ODOT's Deputy Director.

BNSF will carry out a track improvement project in February that will result in another service enhancement for the Heartland Flyer, Adams added.  

"Additional 'tweaks' to the schedule are anticipated in the new year," said Tim Cooper, the Fort Worth-based Amtrak manager responsible for the Heartland Flyer's operation.

Departure times from Oklahoma City and Fort Worth are unaffected by this schedule change, but new arrival times will be in effect on Jan. 12 for the six stops made by the Heartland Flyer.

Train 821 (southbound)

Dp. Oklahoma City, OK 8:25 a.m.

Dp. Norman 8:49 a.m.

Dp. Purcell 9:06 a.m.

Dp. Pauls Valley 9:31 a.m.

Dp. Ardmore 10:20 a.m.

Dp. Gainesville, TX 11:01 a.m.

Ar. Ft. Worth 12:39 p.m.

Train 822 (northbound)

Dp. Ft. Worth, TX 5:25 p.m.

Dp. Gainesville 6:41 p.m.

Dp. Ardmore, OK 7:22 p.m.

Dp. Pauls Valley 8:11 p.m.

Dp. Purcell 8:36 p.m.

Dp. Norman 8:53 p.m.

Ar. Oklahoma City 9:39 p.m.

For more information about the Heartland Flyer, call 800-USA-RAIL or visit the www.amtrak.com or www.heartlandflyer.com websites.
You can find the full release on Amtrak site by clicking here.

BNSF_1088 said:
Has anyone on the forum rode this train before. :)
Unfortunately, I haven't, but I'd really like to since the Flyer uses a couple of rebuilt Santa Fe hi-level cars for its coaches. I like the Superliners, so I'd like to ride in one of the hi-level cars that "inspired" them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back