Heartland Flyer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We drove the 2.5 hrs to OKC Friday and spent the night in OKC as there were no more rooms available in Guthrie for 5 of us. So we woke up at 5am and drove to the Oklahoma Railway Museum (ORM) where we rode a school bus driven by ORM (Steve Davis) to Guthrie to catch the train. We had about 17 or 18 people ride up. The train was at the depot when we got there holding the crossing gates down that are right next to the depot. It had stormed all night, but the rain had pretty much moved out when we got there. There is a cafe in the depot which was open for breakfast and a model train club had a very nice running display in the room behind that. It's a nice old depot who could use some daily train service. We had P-42's on both ends sandwiching a couple el capitans and a superliner coach. Consist was such:

82 lead unit

They put everyone in the center car which has the snacks. The train was clean and in very good shape with a good crew. We pulled out on time and my wife was out in no time to the gentle sway of the car. Tracks were very smooth through here and with many passenger being rail buffs, Railroad talk filled the air. It was over all to quick as we arrived in OKC 20 minutes early. There was a good size crowd waiting to get on in OKC, if only I was joining them for the trip onward to FTW. We then boarded our yellow chariot back to ORM. I would like to thank Steve Davis for grinding the gears up and back on the bus and all those who helped make this happen especially the folks at ORM and Passenger Rail OK. Hopefully it helped out the bluegrass festival in Guthrie also. I'll try to post the couple of pictures I took on my site soon. Can't wait for our next trip in Dec and hope it goes great like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back