Hello from new member

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flowergirl

Train Attendant
Hello everyone,

Just found this board a few days ago, and I'm amazed at the information available for Amtrak travelers. Our family of four traveled about 700 miles by car four years ago to board the Sunset Limited in Lafayette, La. for our first trip. Took the train to LA and then boarded a Surfliner for Anaheim, where we spent a week. Returned to LA on Surfliner and traveled back on Sunset. We rode coach both directions on Sunset, and it worked out fine. Met some wonderful people and didn't experience any of the things we had been warned about in coach travel...crying babies, BO, snoring. Babies were on board but didn't cry.

In October 2008, we drove about 500 miles to Savannah and boarded the Silver Star for NYC, where we spent the night. Next day, we boarded NE Regional for Boston. Next Downeasterner was scheduled later that evening, so we took Amtrak bus on to Portland, Maine, and spent the night there. Next day, we returned to Boston and took NE Regional to Washington, D.C. Had some layover time to spend in D.C. and see the sights and then returned to Savannah on the Silver. Another great trip. So that's our rail travel until now.

But we have another trip, [in celebration of our 20th anniversary] coming up on trains we haven't traveled on, and I have some questions that I will try to post to the appropriate thread. Our next trip will be cross country, beginning at Memphis where we will take CONO to Chicago and connect with Empire Builder, spend night in Seattle and then take CS to LA. We will spend two nights in LA and return to Chicago on SWC and then back to Memphis. We will be in roomettes on all these trains, which will be a new experience for my husband and myself and our two teens. When I first found this board, I thought I had two questions. But after reading a lot of the posts, I now have more questions. So thanks in advance for any answers to my questions.

Welcome! :) And Happy (early) Anniversary! :cool:

You picked some great trains on your trip out west! Especially the Coast Starlight - be sure to spend some time in the PPC! :cool: And maybe have some meals in there. (The menu is different from all other trains!) And if you're lucky (like I was a couple of years ago), you may have dinner in southern California while the CS is stopped waiting for a freight - next to the shore while the sun drops into the Pacific! :D

And if you have ANY questions, ask away!

Back