Hello from Western PA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

profwebs

Service Attendant
Hey everyone, I've been reading the forums for about a week and booked my first trip Saturday. I'll be heading from PGH to LYN with a layover in D.C. I Can't wait!! I have been wanting to take a trip on the train for many years now, so since I have to go to Virginia for a wedding and I need a vacation anyway, I decided to go on the train. I'm guesing I'll be spending most of my time in the sightseer lounge, assuming the Capitol and the Crescent both have them.

Just a couple of questions. What can I expect to pay for Breakfast since I will be getting on the Capitol in Pittsburgh at 5:30a.m.? (provided it's on time) And can anyone recommend a tour in D.C.? I'm guessing I'll have to do the tour on the way back due to the Capitol's history of being late into D.C.

Cheer's for now, and I'll probably write a blog post or 2 with pictures about the experience when I get back.

Brian

Welcome!

If you book the coach, then you'll be paying meal. Usually for breakfast and lunch is about $10-15 while the dinner is the most expensive which is range from $15-25.

For sleeper, the meals are included in sleeper fare.

Just a couple of questions. What can I expect to pay for Breakfast since I will be getting on the Capitol in Pittsburgh at 5:30a.m.? (provided it's on time) And can anyone recommend a tour in D.C.? I'm guessing I'll have to do the tour on the way back due to the Capitol's history of being late into D.C. Brian
Aloha Brian

You are beating me to DC, but I don't Have to worry on what to see as my sister will be my guide. My arrival will be July 16 on an Acela YEA.

Looking forward to your report.

Mahalo,

Eric

And can anyone recommend a tour in D.C.?
This website offers a few ideas:

http://domenici.senate.gov/services/vw_tour.cfm

Or, from Union Station you can walk a couple of blocks to the U.S.Capitol and the National Mall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Mall

Highlights of the Mall include "The Conservatory" in the United States Botanic Garden,

and the "National Gem and Mineral Collection" in the National Museum of Natural History.
Yeah I plan on at least walking to the Capitol and possibly down the mall this coming Saturday, depending on how much time I have and how much I tour Union Station.

On the way back I'm thinking about trying to get on the "Duck" : http://www.dcducks.com/

Thanks for the tips everyone and hopefully after the first trip I'll have a good experience and be hooked. I can see taking many more trips in the future. I think the second trip may be on VIA's "The Canadian" though. It looks like it is really the "destination"

Brian

I think the second trip may be on VIA's "The Canadian" though. It looks like it is really the "destination"
For this one, be sure to check out the North America Rail Pass from Amtrak (assuming that it remains available). This pass gives you 30 days of unlimited travel in the USA & Canada, including "the Canadian". You may find that for Coach fare, the price of the pass is substantially LESS that travel on the Canadian alone!

I think the second trip may be on VIA's "The Canadian" though. It looks like it is really the "destination"
For this one, be sure to check out the North America Rail Pass from Amtrak (assuming that it remains available). This pass gives you 30 days of unlimited travel in the USA & Canada, including "the Canadian". You may find that for Coach fare, the price of the pass is substantially LESS that travel on the Canadian alone!
Do you know if one can upgrade to sleeper on board as one can on Amtrak if space is available?

Do you know if one can upgrade to sleeper on board as one can on Amtrak if space is available?
I don't know if you can do an onboard upgrade, much less if there is any benefit to doing so, but you can certainly do an upgrade when you make the reservation. That assumes that the pass continues to be offered.

I don't know if you can do an onboard upgrade, much less if there is any benefit to doing so, but you can certainly do an upgrade when you make the reservation. That assumes that the pass continues to be offered.
Guess what I was driving at is bucket pricing and if Via uses that concept as Amtrak does, therefore making it the best price to upgrade on board.

And can anyone recommend a tour in D.C.?
This website offers a few ideas:

http://domenici.senate.gov/services/vw_tour.cfm

Or, from Union Station you can walk a couple of blocks to the U.S.Capitol and the National Mall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Mall

Highlights of the Mall include "The Conservatory" in the United States Botanic Garden,

and the "National Gem and Mineral Collection" in the National Museum of Natural History.
Yeah I plan on at least walking to the Capitol and possibly down the mall this coming Saturday, depending on how much time I have and how much I tour Union Station.

On the way back I'm thinking about trying to get on the "Duck" : http://www.dcducks.com/

Thanks for the tips everyone and hopefully after the first trip I'll have a good experience and be hooked. I can see taking many more trips in the future. I think the second trip may be on VIA's "The Canadian" though. It looks like it is really the "destination"

Brian
If you search washington dc tours, you'll find Segway Tours that seemed very intersting to me, but I have leg issues that prevents me from doing it. About $65 for 2-3 hr tour!

Guess what I was driving at is bucket pricing and if Via uses that concept as Amtrak does, therefore making it the best price to upgrade on board.
I was just now poking around on the VIA-Rail Reservation Website.

There is no evidence that they use any kind of Bucket Pricing.

To travel from Toronto to Vancouver BC (Coach Fare) would cost $787 Canadian ($708 cdn discounted) for multiple travel dates around June 3 and July 29 and October 1 and 15. From July 1 through 28 the entire Train is sold out (Coach), so peak-season travel would need early reservations.

Beginning Oct 16 they have off-peak rates of $591 Canadian ($512 cdn discounted), same for random dates like April 1 and for busy dates like Jan 1 (when superdiscount inflexible nonrefundable tickets are already Sold Out).

Of note to anybody planning such a Trip is the CanRailPass:

http://www.viarail.ca/planner/en_cart_canr.html

"Explore Canada from one end to the other! You get 12 days of unlimited travel in Comfort class (Economy) during a 30-day period. Just show your Canrailpass each time you obtain a ticket for a trip during this 30-day period."

Peak period: June 1 to October 15 Adults $837 Canadian

Off-peak: Adults $523 Canadian

These prices compare well to the cost of the Toronto to Vancouver run alone.

Also available from VIA-Rail is the North America Rail Pass...

Peak period: May 23 to October 15 Adults CAN $950

Off-peak: Adults CAN $675

So for a modest increase, the entire AMTRAK System can be added to your travel plans for Canada (and Canadian travel could be up to 30 days out of 30, instead of 12 out of 30).

Also of note: "Buy your North America Rail Pass from our web site!"

This is a service which AMTRAK does NOT offer.

Latest posts

Back