Hello from Yuma AZ.... on the Sunset Route...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My name is John and my wife is Nancy, we have travelled a number of Amtrak routes including the Coast Starlight, California Zephre, Southwest Chief and the Sunset.... plus from Chicago to the east coast and on the North East corridor. Looking forward to our next trip....
welcome to AU

My name is John and my wife is Nancy, we have travelled a number of Amtrak routes including the Coast Starlight, California Zephre, Southwest Chief and the Sunset.... plus from Chicago to the east coast and on the North East corridor. Looking forward to our next trip....
Welcome to the forum. It looks like you've seen lots of great routes. Did you have a favorite among them?

Welcome to the forum. It looks like you've seen lots of great routes. Did you have a favorite among them?
Thanks for the welcome..... Nancy and I agree that the California Zephyr was our favorite so far..... Have only been on the Empire Builder from Chicago to the Twin Cities but looking forward to finishing that trip.

Hi, my wife and I lived in Yuma for 26 years and we relocated to California only six months ago. We traveled in and out of Yuma many times from the local station (at least the remainder of the historic depot), going mostly to and from Los Angeles to connect with other trains. Too bad we didn't meet while I resided in Yuma!

That is too bad, we moved from Oceanside CA to Yuma 17 years ago.... Our first ride out of Yuma was the Sunset / Texas Eagle to St Louis... a great trip and at the time left at a reasonable time....

Welcome to AU!

The Sunset Ltd was my first LD Train ride as an Infant and have been thru Yuma months times, both driving and on the Train.( as you said, the calling times now are Horrible!)

I'll wave ( in my Sleep!😄) as I roll thru Yuma on the Sunset in October on the way home from the Gathering in San Diego.

My sister lived in Yuma some years ago, and other than the military installation, test flights, and related activities, I can't think of a good reason to be there. But maybe things have changed. All I really remember about the visit was it was the hottest place I've ever been (or am likely to ever visit, at least while I'm alive)

My sister lived in Yuma some years ago, and other than the military installation, test flights, and related activities, I can't think of a good reason to be there. But maybe things have changed. All I really remember about the visit was it was the hottest place I've ever been (or am likely to ever visit, at least while I'm alive)
Can't be any Hotter than the rest of Arizona,Nevada,the Desert in California and Central Texas right now!🥵

Thanks for the welcome..... Nancy and I agree that the California Zephyr was our favorite so far..... Have only been on the Empire Builder from Chicago to the Twin Cities but looking forward to finishing that trip.
My overall favorite is the Coast Starlight but the best areas of the Zephyr manage to outshine it. I have yet to ride the Empire Builder but some day I intend to check it off the list as well.

My sister lived in Yuma some years ago, and other than the military installation, test flights, and related activities, I can't think of a good reason to be there.
I always thought this (presumably long gone) view looked really interesting and inviting.

ZC5KUEc.jpg

Welcome to AU!

The Sunset Ltd was my first LD Train ride as an Infant and have been thru Yuma months times, both driving and on the Train.( as you said, the calling times now are Horrible!)

I'll wave ( in my Sleep!😄) as I roll thru Yuma on the Sunset in October on the way home from the Gathering in San Diego.
If I am around when the train goes by I will wave back... I have met friends on both #1 and #2 at zero dark thirty...

I have made several visits to Yuma over the past 10 years. I have attended the Southwest Arizona Geocaching events that are(were) held in February. Sadly this event will not continue. I also have rented a car and walked across the border into Los Algonones for some dental work and to find some Mexico geocaches. On February 2, 2022, My wife and I were at a geocaching event for 2-2-22 at 2:22PM next to the big old steam engine. The next day I got my dental work done.
The best way that I found to get to Yuma at a reasonable time was to take the SL onward to Tucson and rent a car and drive back. On the return trip I had a roomette and I got the last steak from the dining car. As I was sitting alone cutting my steak in the dining car the kitchen had a small fire and I had to take my meal back to the roomette. The SCA brought me my desert about 20 minutes later

Now that's service if you ask me.... diner catches fire but desert is not to be missed. I have been here 17 years... have done a bit of geocachining. Have a friend that is heavily into it and is always involved in the Feb geocache event. Sad to hear it won't be occurring again. I help keep the steam engine 2521 clean. Taking the train to Tucson and then renting a car there is an interesting concept. But then I have thought about taking the Sunset Limited again but either going up to LA and starting there or driving to Tucson to board it. I have a pretty good dentist in Algadones too.

Back