Hello there!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthEncantoGirl

Train Attendant
Just a quick introduction. What a great thing, to have found this site! I was throwing 'Coast Starlight' into every search engine I knew of, and reading trip reports and such. This i site is by far the most informative, and the only on with which I officially registered.

I live in San Diego (have most of my life), and have always loved trains, but almost always as an observer, never one who actually rode the rails. But life is short, and time is wasted simply wishing.

A couple of weeks ago, I (very impulsively) booked a quick turnaround trip (with a roomette) to Sacramento, just to have the experience of riding the CS. I can't tell you how much I look forward to the trip. As I posted in another thread in this forum, I feel very confident about the entire journey! I've already learned so much. I decided not to lurk, but to become part of this community.

Looking forward to learning even more (and even doing a little posting),

Lace

Just a quick introduction. What a great thing, to have found this site! I was throwing 'Coast Starlight' into every search engine I knew of, and reading trip reports and such. This i site is by far the most informative, and the only on with which I officially registered.

I live in San Diego (have most of my life), and have always loved trains, but almost always as an observer, never one who actually rode the rails. But life is short, and time is wasted simply wishing.

A couple of weeks ago, I (very impulsively) booked a quick turnaround trip (with a roomette) to Sacramento, just to have the experience of riding the CS. I can't tell you how much I look forward to the trip. As I posted in another thread in this forum, I feel very confident about the entire journey! I've already learned so much. I decided not to lurk, but to become part of this community.

Lace
Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited. We are train buffs of various porportions and are happy

to have you join.

I have taken the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Seattle and can say that you will

enjoy your experience traveling on the CS. You are wise to book a roomette which gives

you access to the Pacific Parlor Car. It is a real treat that is only available on that

train. Have an enjoyable trip and submit a trip report when you return.

Lace
Welcome to Amtrak Unlimited. We are train buffs of various porportions and are happy

to have you join.

I have taken the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Seattle and can say that you will

enjoy your experience traveling on the CS. You are wise to book a roomette which gives

you access to the Pacific Parlor Car. It is a real treat that is only available on that

train. Have an enjoyable trip and submit a trip report when you return.
Thank you for your greeting! I'm looking forward to spending time here and getting to know everyone.

:hi: Welcome to the Forum! Once the "Train Bug" bites there is no Cure except to Start planning the "Next" Trip, sometimes even before the one you are on ends!! ^_^ As was said, youll Love the Starlight and the Surfliner from San Diego to LAX is a nice ride too! Living in the West like you do gives you easy access to the Western Trains like the SWC,CZ,SSL,EB and of course all the Trains that run in California and the Cascades in Oregon,Washington and B.C. :cool: Then its time to head East and South and ride all the other Trains! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AU!
hi.gif

You have made a great choice for you first LD (long distance) train trip - not to long but not to short either. And some great scenery both on the Surfliner and the Coast Starlight (CS)!

If you have ANY questions, please ask them, and I'm certain someone will provide an answer. And since nobody has mentioned it, you should join Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) before your trip. AGR is similar to an airline's frequent flyer program, with rewards including FREE Amtrak travel! Since you live in San Diego (SAN), you can travel to most of CA by train or Amtrak bus starting at 1,500 points one way. (However, that does not include the CS, which costs more points!
sad.gif
) If you would like a referral to AGR, send me a PM (Private Message - just click the envelope under my name) with your email address.

:hi: Welcome to the Forum! Once the "Train Bug" bites there is no Cure except to Start planning the "Next" Trip, sometimes even before the one you are on ends!! ^_^ As was said, youll Love the Starlight and the Surfliner from San Diego to LAX is a nice ride too! Living in the West like you do gives you easy access to the Western Trains like the SWC,CZ,SSL,EB and of course all the Trains that run in California and the Cascades in Oregon,Washington and B.C. :cool: Then its time to head East and South and ride all the other Trains! :lol:
That bug sunk its teeth in but deep. You are so right--even as I anticipate my upcoming trip, I'm thinking about other possible trips I could take. I think this is going to be a lifelong love affair for me...

Welcome to AU!
hi.gif

You have made a great choice for you first LD (long distance) train trip - not to long but not to short either. And some great scenery both on the Surfliner and the Coast Starlight (CS)!

If you have ANY questions, please ask them, and I'm certain someone will provide an answer. And since nobody has mentioned it, you should join Amtrak Guest Rewards (AGR) before your trip. AGR is similar to an airline's frequent flyer program, with rewards including FREE Amtrak travel! Since you live in San Diego (SAN), you can travel to most of CA by train or Amtrak bus starting at 1,500 points one way. (However, that does not include the CS, which costs more points!
sad.gif
) If you would like a referral to AGR, send me a PM (Private Message - just click the envelope under my name) with your email address.
I do think that finding out about AGR points is something I want to do. A quick question: did I more or less forfeit points because I've booked already? If I join before I actually take the trip, will I still get those points?

Thanks for the affirmation about my going to Sacramento. I was thinking I wouldn't get the 'full experience of the CS, but, for now, venturing up to No. CA just feels right to me. I wish I could stay longer in Sacramento, actually, but when I say turnaround, I mean it--I'll only be in Sacramento overnight. Have to get back to the job and all.

Thank you for making me feel more than welcome. I'll PM.

Lace

A quick question: did I more or less forfeit points because I've booked already? If I join before I actually take the trip, will I still get those points?
You're fine. So long as you join AGR within 90 days of your trip you will receive the 500 bonus points. You don't actually need any sort of referral link or code to earn the bonus. You only need to time the opening of your account to occur within 90 days of your trip and you'll receive everything that is currently available to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick question: did I more or less forfeit points because I've booked already? If I join before I actually take the trip, will I still get those points?
You're fine. So long as you join AGR within 90 days of your trip you will receive the 500 bonus points. You don't actually need any sort of referral link or code to earn the bonus. You only need to time the opening of your account to occur within 90 days of your trip and you'll receive everything that is currently available to you.
Thank you for the tip! So, since the trip is in a couple months, I can sign up now, and still be in the 90 day window.

Good stuff!

Back