help 1st time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joe castrovince

traveling this weekend from denver co, to murray ,ky area. i have a 4 1/2 hr layover in chicago. i am 6'2" large frame male,will only have seat to travel from and would like to know if this will be a small area (like greyhound) from which to enjoy a new and more painfull way of travel or will the trip be of a less painfull way to travel :D any info on to what awaits me like can you get up and move around ,do seats recline that sort of thing. i would be most graitfull,many thanks ..... BULLWHACKER P.S im not sure how this site works so i will include my e-mail [email protected] again thanks

You should have a good trip. Coach seats on the train are way better than an airplane, somewhat better than a bus. They recline, have leg rests that flip out from underneath and foot rests from underneath the seat in front of you. The biggest difference is way more leg room than planes or buses. Also you can get up and walk around, go to the diner or lounge car, watch a movie, freshen up in the restroom. If you really want to splurge, once you are on board, ask the conductor if you can upgrade to a sleeping car. If they have rooms available you can have for a discounted price a bed of your own and meals in the diner included. Get out and walk around downtown Chicago during your layover, its not too bad of an area and good to stretch your legs.

you'll love it! The coach seating on Amtrak trains (the coaches I've been on) are the same as first class seating on Alitalia airlines (believe me, I've done both).

Lounge car loads of fun.

Happy travels

We too have about a 4 hour layover in Chicago. Would love to wander around outside Union Station, but what do you do with luggage? Can you check luggage that early? What about carry ons? Are there lockers you can put them in?

Luggage lockers were still at Chicago Union Station and open for use when I was there at the end of January. I believe it was $3 for a small locker/$4 for a large one for however long you need it - I believe 24 hrs max.

Coach on Amtrak isn't bad. I'm 6'0 and in coach can stretch my legs out straight in front of me without hitting the seat in front of me. It's not bad for one night - that's the longest I've been on Amtrak without having a sleeper. See if you can upgrade once on board. I was able to do this from Los Angeles to Chicago for an additional $141. Well worth it considering all my meals were then included.

Ditto everything above...and I have to add that not only do you get more leg room, but the seats are also much wider than the bus. You should enjoy the trip. I'd be interested to hear your comments afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back