Help me plan a LD "bucket trip" for my mother and myself

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trip is finally booked:) We got roomettes opposite one another on the upper level at the end. Now I need to book the airfare to San Francisco!

If anyone has any advice about where to stay overnight close to the EMY station, I'd love to hear it. We'll be flying in, then staying the night to board the CZ in the morning.

Yes, I saw that. I'm trying to figure out if it's best to stay in SF (there is a bus that will bring us to the station in the morning) or get ourselves out to Emeryville and then just have to cross the tracks to board the train.

Staying in SF is so expensive, but OTOH the night's sleep one might get in a hotel abutting a train hub could be problematic (the reviews on TripAdvisor talk about this.)

The Hilton Garden inn at Emeryville was where I stayed a while back... it was quite reasonable and just a short cab ride from the station. (I walked it!)

If you haven't been to San Francisco then I guess staying in town even for one night would be my choice... You could even stay cheaply out near the airport if you are just interested in the train ride. I am not too sure of the airport to Emeryville station options in the morning though...?

Ed :cool:

The hotels don't have the accommodations I want, so I'm going AirBnB (which I love.)

Man, this trip is actually going to happen! So stoked.

If we both have our own roomette, can we keep our just-over carryon sized bags in our respective roomettes? Is there room?

Thanks.

In terms of special items to pack, I've read arguments for the following:

A few coils of duct tape

A packet of Clorox wipes

Eye mask and ear plugs for sleeping

Slippers

A thing to increase the number of electrical outlets in the roomette

Anything else I've missed?

Shampoo/conditioner. Amtrak provides soap, washcloths, and towels.

Thanks.

I have another question about common spaces on the train.

Is there a club or observation car on the Eastbound California Zephyr? I assume you can't sit in the dining cars all day and just stare out the window, so wondering where else people gather.

Isn't there a crush to sit in any good "common" seats with a view? Are there protocols around sharing those good seats?

There is a lounge car (SSL) on the CZ. It will be between the coach cars and the diner, so if you're in a sleeper, just walk through the diner to get to it (or back to your room. I think many here say that after an hour or two, if you notice people standing around looking for a seat, then you should get up and let them have your seat. Half the car has seats facing out and half has booths. Downstairs is the cafe with some booths and a bathroom.

Car diagrams here: http://www.craigmashburn.com/amtrakcardiagrams.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, thanks.

So the experienced folks would perhaps know going in what would be the good times to be in such a seat in order to see the worthy sites.

On an east-bound CZ, are the best views to be had (I assume in Colorado in the mountains) on day 1 of the trip, or day 2?

The California Zephyr runs Superliner Equipment and thus has a Sightseer Lounge in the consist which is located next to the Diner!

Since you are traveling East Bound you would want to snag a seat, (first come, first served) there are tables on one end of the car and " couches" and individual chairs on the other/ the cafe is located downstairs)

after the Grand Junction stop for the trip through the Rocky Mountains and along the Colorado River! (Famous for the Mooners that welcome the Train!)

If its not dark yet the trip down the front range into Denver is spectacular and even in the dark the lights of Denver are something to see!

I've traveled the CZ at various times of the year, and it was unusual to have a problem finding a seat in the lounge car. But I travel alone. If you are with someone else or with a group and you all want to sit together it could be significantly more difficult. But folks are usually very friendly and accommodating.

What a saga getting to SFO today. There was some kind of police activity in Nj and my mom's train (Keystone) into NYP was an hour and twenty min late. We nearly missed our flight.

The train leaves EMY tomorrow morning at 9:10 am. We wonder whether breakfast will be served....?

What a saga getting to SFO today. There was some kind of police activity in Nj and my mom's train (Keystone) into NYP was an hour and twenty min late. We nearly missed our flight.

The train leaves EMY tomorrow morning at 9:10 am. We wonder whether breakfast will be served....?
No, your first meal will be lunch. Others may have recommendations for breakfast near the station.

We are onboard the train and settled in to our roomettes. They are upper level, rooms 6 and 7 on the final car of the consist. I'm thrilled with their location... Second to last rooms on the final car of the train, so there will be very little passing foot traffic and they are also as far away from the train horn as possible.

The roomettes ARE small, but we each have our own, at least.

Before boarding, we took a cab to a grocery store and loaded up on snacky favorites: a bag of clementines, baby bell cheese, some pistachios, our favorite soda, apples, carrots, fresh cut fruit for breakfast today, luna bars, and a bottle of Pinot Grigio:) I have an eBags crew cooler for the perishables and already got ice from the pleasant attendant, Ricardo.

We are chilling in the observation car now.

Thanks to everyone on the forum who helped me plan this trip. It was a Christmas gift for my mom and so far she is very pleased.

Update: after a night not sleeping in the roomette, I'm quite sure I will never book another sleeper trip. Awful.

Update: after a night not sleeping in the roomette, I'm quite sure I will never book another sleeper trip. Awful.
Could you elaborate? I find I don't sleep well on my 1st night mainly because of the excitement of the trip.

The quality of the bed and bedding was very poor, the loudness of the train noise penetrated my earplugs, and the quantity of motion/bumping/swaying made it impossible to sleep. Everyone was bleary-eyed this morning

The scenery exceeded my expectations however, and the food is less horrible than I fully expected (and prepared for.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back