Help Me Plan a Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKA

Train Attendant
Hello Train Lovers,

I have been busy so I haven't joined the forum for a while. I have 15,642 miles in two trips on Amtrak. My last trip was almost a year ago. My problem is that I don't know where to go. My first trip was: ATL, WAS, CHI, PDX, LAX, NOL and back to ATL. My second trip was ATL, NOL, CHI, EMY, PDX, CHI, WAS and back to ATL. Both trips were about 8 or 9 days. The vacation was riding the train so I only stayed in a hotel one night in NOL. As you can guess I live in the ATL area. I traveled in a Deluxe Bedroom on my other

trips and would want to do so again on my next trip. I have thought about doing the first trip backward ie. ATL, NOL, LAX, etc. I would be grateful for help and ideas. I would like very long segments if possible with good connections (nothing requiring overnight stays off the train). My total time for the trip is a max. of about 10 days. Thank you in advance for your help.

RKA,

Sadly you've already done most of the LD trains that make same day connections, per your requirement to not overnight in a city. Removing that restriction would of course increase the number of possible trips, especially when it comes to the longer trips to the west coast.

However here is one possible east coast based itinerary, that would meet your requirement of no layovers.

ATL-NOL on the Crescent, day 1.

NOL-JAX on the Sunset, days 1 & 2.

JAX-WAS on the Star, days 2 & 3.

WAS-BOS on the Federal, days 3 & 4.

BOS-CHI on the Lake Shore, days 4 & 5.

CHI-WAS on the Capitol, days 5 & 6.

WAS-ATL on the Crescent, days 6 & 7.

You could also include a quick round trip on the Hiawatha Service between Chicago & Milwaukee for a few extra miles.

If you wanted to allow for a single overnight in DC, then you could take the far more scenic Cardinal from Chicago to DC. This would also give you one more night away from home, and you could also toss in a ride on the Acela Express if you haven't already done that. After overnighting in DC, you could catch an early morning Acela to NYP and then pick up the Crescent there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back