HELP ME!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

goodgirl

All I need is just strait info on if there is train services that go from St. Louis to Montreal. How much the tickets are ect..................

For some reason, I cannot find strait answers. It is either a vacation package or other useless info to me. This site is the closest I have come only the link to the amtrak area I need is unclickable right now.

To give you more info. You will first have to take Amtrak to Chicago (on either train #22 or #304) then switch to another Amtrak train to Toronto (on train #364/7088). From there you will have to make a seperate reservation with VIA Rail Canada for rail service from Toronto to Montreal. Most likely your intinerary will require an overnight in Chicago and an overnight train between Toronto and Montreal (the Enterprise).

Thank you very much! That was a little closer! My only problem now is finding "connecting routes" I am so dense at this stuff!

Maybe I am wrong, but economically speaking you are better to use as much of Amtrak instead of VIA - even if you travel a greater distance. Amtrak has often great deals, while the deals on VIA are less frequent.

It is worth to check out the Amtrak rail sale or other opportunities.

The current "normal" fare I do see from St. Louis to New York is $143 if you use trains #422 from St. Louis to Chicago and the train #48 from Chicago to NY.

The New York - Montreal fare I do see is $68 on the train #69.

You may get lucky if you look at the rail sale http://tickets.amtrak.com/Amtrak/railsale

What I do see now is that there is a sympathetic fare of just $33.20 between CHI and BOS if you go by train#448 or just $33.00 between CHI and NY if you go by train #48.

So I would try following:

1) buy the regular St. Louis -> Chicago on the train#322. I would try to use the 25% off promo (code H30). This yields me a price of $15.75. The train departs St. Louis 8:45 am and arrives Chicago 2:25 pm

2) buy the Chicago -> Albany on the train #448 via Amtrak Rail Sale (it is $30.80). The train departs Chicago at 7:00 pm and arrives Albany at 11:00 am next day. (This train seem to be difficult to get the sale tough). The train #48 has the same pricing but arrives 10 minutes earlier. I would never count on a 10 minute connection, but you MAY get lucky. (5% chance) - see below.

3) The Albany -> Montreal is only $45, but the train#69 departs at 11:00 am which is a definitly BAD connection, so you could land up waiting an entire day!

As you see, the most critical and expensive part of the travel would be the big leg from CHI, while the one from St. Louis to CHI or from ALB (NYC) to Montreal seem to be easy. Depending on your time you can get more creative and try a CHI -> Pittsburgh->NYC connection. The CHI -> Pittsburgh is now only $22.00 via "rail sale" and the Pittsurgh -> NYC shouldn't be a problem.

Therefore the lowest fare I did discover so far is $15.75+$30.80+$45 = $91.55.

If you would use the H305 promo on the Albany -> Montreal portion, you can get that portion further down to $30.75 which would mean the absolute minimum possible fare would be today $77.3 for the entire trip.

This couls of course change if you would see a NYC -> Montreal "promo" coming up next weeks or an other good promo from CHI eastwards. I would also watch the CHI - WAS price and snap it if it goes low.

Good luck!

gyuri_ft said:
2) buy the Chicago -> Albany on the train #448 via Amtrak Rail Sale (it is $30.80). The train departs Chicago at 7:00 pm and arrives Albany at 11:00 am next day. (This train seem to be difficult to get the sale tough). The train #48 has the same pricing but arrives 10 minutes earlier. I would never count on a 10 minute connection, but you MAY get lucky. (5% chance) - see below.
Actually, between CHI and ALB, trains 48 and 448 are the same train. Some cars are designated 48, others 448. Eastbound, the train is split at Albany, with #448 continuing to Boston and #48 heading to New York City. These trains depart Albany at different times, but the arrival is the same. I'm not sure why the reservation system shows different arrival times. In either case, 48/448 tends to run late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back