Help with Anniversary Trip to NOLA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Davey

Ran across this very informative site and thought I would ask a couple of questions.

My wife and I are going to NOLA in March of 08 and wanted to know if the Roomette or the bedroom would be better for viewing the scenery outside? I am a fairly large/tall individual and my wife is 'normal' size but wanted to know if I would be squishing her in one room compared to another. It is a day trip so I am assuning that we would be taking a nap in the afternoon and wanted to know personal experience with the rooms.

Can the meals be served in the room and if not are the dining cars 'tight' or is there some room to dine comfortably. What about the bathrooms? I know they are small but is it ridiculously small? Thanks for everyone's help. We are very excited about the trip and just wanted to get some pointers to make it enjoyable and not forgetable.

Ran across this very informative site and thought I would ask a couple of questions.
My wife and I are going to NOLA in March of 08 and wanted to know if the Roomette or the bedroom would be better for viewing the scenery outside? I am a fairly large/tall individual and my wife is 'normal' size but wanted to know if I would be squishing her in one room compared to another. It is a day trip so I am assuning that we would be taking a nap in the afternoon and wanted to know personal experience with the rooms.

Can the meals be served in the room and if not are the dining cars 'tight' or is there some room to dine comfortably. What about the bathrooms? I know they are small but is it ridiculously small? Thanks for everyone's help. We are very excited about the trip and just wanted to get some pointers to make it enjoyable and not forgetable.

By all means take a bedroom--hands down. I am a large person myself.

The toilets are ok in the bedroom since they are large enough to also include a shower. But they are kind of ridiculous in the roomette, and you are seen by the other passenger. Whereas the toilet is enclosed in a bedroom.

The dining car seats are usually ok. That can vary.. Yes, you can be served in your room. You might try both ways, just for the fun of experimenting.

But---hands down---take the bedroom. It is possible to nap onthe sofa while the othe person sists in a chair, in a bedroom. No such in a roomette.

Te roomette is a quite small room, INHP best suited to singles rather than couples.

Last edited by a moderator:

You haven't said what train you would be taking. If you are on the City of New Orleans, I beleive it is Superliner equipped, thus no restrooms in your actual room (at least not in the roommettes. If you are on the Crescent, it is Viewliner equipped (I think!) and those cars have small restrooms within the various compartments. I can only speak for the Superliner equipment; you and your wife will be comfortable in either the roommette or bedroom. Especially if it is only a day trip. In the roommette, you will be in seats facing each other (each large enough for one good-sized adult). You probably won't be putting down the upper berth for a nap, as that would encroach on your headroom. I haven't taken a bedroom trip in some time so not able to comment on those accomodations, but I would have no qualms about booking a roommette for your trip.

You haven't said what train you would be taking. If you are on the City of New Orleans, I beleive it is Superliner equipped, thus no restrooms in your actual room (at least not in the roommettes. If you are on the Crescent, it is Viewliner equipped (I think!) and those cars have small restrooms within the various compartments. I can only speak for the Superliner equipment; you and your wife will be comfortable in either the roommette or bedroom. Especially if it is only a day trip. In the roommette, you will be in seats facing each other (each large enough for one good-sized adult). You probably won't be putting down the upper berth for a nap, as that would encroach on your headroom. I haven't taken a bedroom trip in some time so not able to comment on those accomodations, but I would have no qualms about booking a roommette for your trip.
If you are on the City of New Orleans, yes, it is superliner equipped. That means the roomettes do not have a toilet but the bedrooms do. These are the large double deck cars and the view at the top would be considered better than the Viewliner view for most people.

And, yes, The Crescent is Viewliner equipped ( single level) which means all rooms have a toilet though somewhat larger in the bedroom. (well, maybe not the seat itself, but the way in which it is enclosed in a room which also serves as your shower).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back