Help with placing a hold on a reservation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eagle 1

How do i make so i receive a trip itinerary or put a hold on a trip?

There real not a way to put a hold on a ticket.
You have to book and pay for your tickets then you may have at least 24 hours to change things. The actual days ahead you purchase, and type of tickets will determine what the refund can be.

https://www.amtrak.com/planning-booking/changes-refunds/refund-and-cancellation-policy.html

It’s confusing. So if you need to arrange other aspects of your vacation book early. Capacity is very tight on some trains.

Last edited:
I have placed a week hold on reservations in the past (assuming the trip is not in the near future). I have done this by phoning the AGR number (since I am a member of Amtrak Guest Rewards). If I am unsure if I can make the trip, I ask to place a hold prior to paying. I do not recall the time frames, but I think if the trip is upcoming (like within a month), they will hold for 3 days; otherwise the hold is 7 days. If you do not pay within the time period, the reservation will be canceled.

I was given a reservation number and an itinerary (sometimes), but never a ticket until I paid.

I believe this has to be done by telephone with a live agent.

I have placed a week hold on reservations in the past (assuming the trip is not in the near future). I have done this by phoning the AGR number (since I am a member of Amtrak Guest Rewards). If I am unsure if I can make the trip, I ask to place a hold prior to paying. I do not recall the time frames, but I think if the trip is upcoming (like within a month), they will hold for 3 days; otherwise the hold is 7 days. If you do not pay within the time period, the reservation will be canceled.

I was given a reservation number and an itinerary (sometimes), but never a ticket until I paid.

I believe this has to be done by telephone with a live agent.
I did not know that. Very useful information.

That was how it was done, in the days before the website. Arrow would assign a hold date automatically, based on how far in advance the reservation was made. Sometimes, an agent would let you extend that date somewhat...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back