help

• Thread starter Steve from the UK
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve from the UK

I saw that the texas eagle goeas to LA.....it is my guess that it connects with the sunset limited..is this so.......trying to decide wether to go via portland or via texas

thanks for your help

Steve :D

Steve, welcome to the boards. We could help you more if you could tell us your origin and destination. It's easier to get a baisic idea on where you're going and what train you need to get there. :)

The Texas Eagle has through cars that connect to the Sunset Limited in San Antonio. So, If you board in Chicago bound for LA, you never have to switch trains.

Have you considered taking the Southwest Chief, which goes directly from Chicago to Los Angeles?

What ever route you take (and from wherever) keep in mnd that the Sunset Limited has a serious problem with lateness.

Also keep in mind the differences in scenery, Sunset limited and Southwest Chief have a lot of desert, the route to Portland a lot of mountains, some of the Rockies, etc. As pointed out, you did not specifiy where your trip would actually begin.

If you are traveling out of Chicago, I would suggest taking the California Zephyr to Emeryville, CA, spending a day or two in San Francisco, and then heading north to Portland. The Zephyr has the best scenery.

However, be careful of the dates that you travel on the Zephyr, because it is being rerouted during the summer on certain dates so that repairs can be made to the Moffat Tunnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back