Here is an Idea... 2 sets needed.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GP35

Lead Service Attendant
Run the Crescent 2 days past NOL to SAS. Do the same with the CONO. Now you have daily service between SAS/Houston

to NOL. Trust me, daily to NOL would be highly used. You also have Houston to ATL/NYC/WAS 2 times per week.

And Houston to MEM/Chicago.

2 train sets are needed. 1 set of Superliners, 1 set of single deck.

Run the Crescent 2 days past NOL to SAS. Do the same with the CONO. Now you have daily service between SAS/Houston to NOL. Trust me, daily to NOL would be highly used. You also have Houston to ATL/NYC/WAS 2 times per week.

I'd rather leave the Crescent as it is. Taking the Superliner equipment out west is better, so I think it'd be better to do it with the CONO. Nice idea. You can just connect to the Crescent in NO.

Run the Crescent 2 days past NOL to SAS. Do the same with the CONO. Now you have daily service between SAS/Houston to NOL. Trust me, daily to NOL would be highly used. You also have Houston to ATL/NYC/WAS 2 times per week.

I'd rather leave the Crescent as it is. Taking the Superliner equipment out west is better, so I think it'd be better to do it with the CONO. Nice idea. You can just connect to the Crescent in NO.
The problem with connecting the SL with the Crescent is the SL arrives at 4pm and the Crescent leaves at 7AM.

Here is the PRO's to running the Crescent on Tri-weekly to SAS.

1. Schedule.

Arrives in NOL at 7pm...light maintanance

Departs NOL 10PM

Arrives Houston at 7:30 AM... NYC,Philly,DC, ATL depart train leaving nearly empty train to SAS. Now we have a Morning train

from Houston to SAS. Every seat in coach will be filled.

Arrives SAS at 1pm

leaves SAS at 3pm Again, every seat in coach will be filled

Arrives Houston 7pm... coach empties out..new passengers in coach and sleepers get on for east coast.

Arrives NOL 4AM

Then back on Crescenrt schedule.

It makes sense for the Crescent to take advantage of the nations 4th and 8th largest cities. Houston now

have 2 trains;Sunset to El Paso, Arizona, Los Angeles, Crescent to Atlanta,DC, NYC

The main problem with your plan, GP, is that Amtrak doesn't have half a Viewliner to spare. The Viewliners look like **** because they don't even have enough to take some off for a paint job.

Question: Where do you live, approximately?

and how many more employees. I would guess 50
WRONG.... The Sunset crews between NOL and SAS sit around the pool in Beaumont 2-3 days getting paid with no Amtrak revenue.

A tri-weekly Crescent to fill in the tri-weekly SL schedule would put those crews back on the train and away from the pool and earn Amtrak money.

Everything is already in place. It would be cheaper for Amtrak to run the Crescent tri-weekly to SAS.

As an Example, A conductor arrives in Beaumont on the Sunset Limited, instead of 3 days of pool, leaves out on the Crescent the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back