here she goes again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in less than ten days, I will take my third trip cross country by rail..and I simply can't wait

flying is great, if time is of the essence..

this will be my first solo trip; without my favorite traveler, who abandoned me for the "other side of the puddle"

am anxious to talk with others who have traveled recently; last trip was in 2004 and while it wasn't without it's"bumps",

I'm quite sure it will be amazing...

Last edited by a moderator:
this will be my first solo trip; without my favorite traveler, who abandoned me for the "other side of the puddle"
Welcome!
hi.gif

This "traveler" would never abandon you!
mosking.gif

aw, thanks traveler

she's still taveling, all over the world now - and I'm really proud of her...

even at two she was cheerful and interested in wherever we were going

I've read some of the travelogues here, and can't wait to read more

looking for practical advice - coach to chicago from the east coast, sleeper to cali

like pack lots of snacks or wing it in the diner car on the first leg? are there lots of

places to charge phones, computers, ipods? (didn't bring anything but a phone last time..

anyone have suggestions for a three hour layover in chicago? would it be practical to hop in a cab

and goto shedd aquarium or the art institute?

so many questions

looking for practical advice - coach to chicago from the east coast, sleeper to cali like pack lots of snacks or wing it in the diner car on the first leg?
I would start with snacks myself. That way you can be sure to pack something really tasty and nutritious and not eat junk food the whole way.

are there lots of places to charge phones, computers, ipods? (didn't bring anything but a phone last time..
On the routes I travel it's a little hit or miss but they seem to be adding more plugs over time. So long as you bring an extension cord or a plug multiplier you can probably find a place to connect.

anyone have suggestions for a three hour layover in chicago? would it be practical to hop in a cab and goto shedd aquarium or the art institute?
I think the Shedd could work, although the likelihood of catching a show you actually want to see seems a little slim and you might be competing with lots of kids and families to get through each area depending on the day and time. I would say the Art Institute would be less of a problem as it's something you can do at your own pace and there won't be as many kids and families clogging up your walkways.

This Google Maps Link shows the relative distance of Union Station [A], Art Institute , and Shedd Aquarium [C].

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure which train you are on from the east to Chicago. If it is the Cardial, it will be the single level Viewliners with outlets at every seat. The multple plug recommended by other is also on my list of what to take. You might be told where to sit but if not you can choose your seat. The front seats have more legroom but you are forward of the window and there is no tray table. In the last row of seats the recline is not as great as in the other seats.

What to do in Chicago? First check into the Metropolitan Lounge (as you have a sleeper going out) and leave your luggage. They have a room to store it. It will become obvious how to do this as there will be others doing the same - just get in the line. When you check in at the desk in the lounge they will give you a card with the time to reappear in the lounge to board your next train. We always head first to breakfast - (which serves as brunch or lunch as we have had breakfast on the Cardinal) at a nearby restaurant. Since we arrive on the Cardinal there is not a tremendous amount of time before the CZ boards.

Before the stop in Denver take your camera and go to the lounge to get a seat. Departing Denver you will travel through some spectacular scenery between Denver and Glenwood Springs.

If you have any more questions, just ask, this is one of my favorite trains.

I will be taking the Cardinal - in coach; am beginning to regret not doing the sleeper the whole way but it saved a couple hundred dollars

which I thought I'd have more fun spending in California

because of this, packing has become a little complicated (snacks etc..)

and I had forgotten all about the Lounge; it appears that there will be about three hours before the CZ departs, another member gave me some great ideas via maps but is there much in walking distance to do/see? I can't remember; any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

I did this trip years ago and LOVED it; am looking forward to relaxation and spectacular scenery..

(hate to ask but did they do away with the smoking car? just in case)

No Smoking except on "smoke stops" and the Auto train! You dont want to get put off in the middle of nowwhere at 0 dark thirty for sure! Depending on the weather in Chicago (it can change fast this time of year), you can walk around clear to the Lake, go up in the Sears (nee Willis )Tower a couple of blocks from the station, eat in the food court upstairs or Lou Mitchells or Giordanos Pizza close to the station! If its nice you can walk along the river, ride a sight seer bus (they load by the Tower)and dont forget to visit the Great Hall in CUS! You can stock up on snacks while waiting also, thereis a Walhgreens and CVS close to CUS, some grocery stores that you can Google in the area also! Have a great trip, of course it would be better in a sleeper but the train ride is the important thing! :cool:

Lou Mitchells is not to be missed. Don't plan to eat "just a little bit" It is at 565 W. Jackson - Leave the terminal via the Jackson Street door. It is just a block away. It is cash only. You can see the menu at www.loumitchellsrestaurant.com You sit at long tables with others. If there is a wait for tables they pass out Milk Duds or something to those in line. Our favorite in the food court is Corner Bakery. There are a couple of tables which are usually taken but you might get lucky. You can see all the restaurants in the station at www.chicagounionstation.com then select retail on the left side. The Gold Coast Dogs is Chicago style hot dogs.

Outside the Metropolitan Lounge is a rack with lots of brochures - Amtrak schedules and some about what to see nearby and maybe a little map of the area.

The coach on the Cardinal is not too bad. Just be sure not to sit in the very front seats nor the very back seats. There is not a real diner but there is a food service car. It gets rather crowded. The scenery through the New River Gorge is some of the best on Amtrak. The New River is actually very very old. Very poplar with rafters. The only way through the gorge is by train or raft. At mile 684 you will stop at White Sulphur Springs, WV home of the Greenbrier, across the street from the station. About 50 minutes later you will pass through the Great Bend Tunnel. Legand has it that this is where John Henry "laid down his hammer and he died" from a race with a steam drill while working inside the tunnel. His statue stands on State Route 3 above the east entrance to the tunnel. After Hinton, you will be in the New River Gorge until Montgomery. About 35 minutes from Prince, WV you will pass under the New River Gorge Bridge 876 feet above the river.

hey thanks for that chicago and jim..

great info; will definitely refer to it again when I'm en route!

(I will pack this away with my cashews and dried fruit..)

since planning this trip, I've had more than a few people question

my sanity (again); my only response is -

if you've never done it, you wouldn't understand

I plan to totally enjoy the journey, the best part of the trip will be when I hop off in california

some of the people I love most in this world will meet me
rolleyes.gif

Can't wait to hear all the details of your trip. Departing Chicago between Chicago and Naperville is "The Raceway" very fast and passing lots of trains. The next day after leaving Denver - remember to go to the Sightseer Lounge before the Denver passengers get on, get a seat on the left side of the car and have your camera ready. You'll get better views in both directions about the middle of the car. What looks like a long coal train without an engine going up the front face of the Rockies is a string of rock filled coal cars to break the wind and prevent trains being blown off the tracks. You'll pass through 27 tunnels in 25 miles. Moffat tunnel is East portal at milepost 50 (50 miles west of Denver) You exit the tunnel at milepost 57 and will see the ski lifts at Winter Park crossing the tracks. Keep your eyes open and camera ready until the pretty red brick station at Glenwood Springs. Before that you will follow the Colorado River and across the river see I-70 built on stilts so as not to blast into the mountain. By the way, the mileposts are on small white markers next to the track

The Cardinal/Zephyr route is my favorite combination of routes.

Good points, but I want to make 2 small corrections.

The next day after leaving Denver - remember to go to the Sightseer Lounge before the Denver passengers get on, get a seat on the left side of the car and have your camera ready. You'll get better views in both directions about the middle of the car.
1) I would sit on the right hand side departing Denver.

2) If you sit in the middle if the car, the opposite side will be blocked by the stairway and upper serving area. I would rather sit towards either end, where you can see out of both sides without moving!
rolleyes.gif

My roomette was on the right/North side from Denver west on my last trip and I thought I had a more scenic view too. Either side is nice, but I am one of the few that enjoyed the scenery and the FOUR HOUR FASTER trip along the Wyoming bypass. The canyon crawl is scenic, but not efficient transit. I alone say leave it for a tourist railway.

Back