Heritage Diner in Phase IVb

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
If you scroll to the bottom of page you will notice a photo of the first Amtrak Heritage Diner in Phase IVb. The "DINING CAR" lettering is not consistant with that on the Amfleet cars and it has no red stripe. Still looks better than when they were in Phase IV though. Any other opinions?

The paint isn't bad, but I don't Like "DINING CAR" in caps, maybe if it were more like Diner and had the number on both ends. Otherwise it's not that bad. Does this mean its the beginning of the end? :eek:

Thanks for the link.

Viewliner said:
The paint isn't bad, but I don't Like "DINING CAR" in caps, maybe if it were more like Diner and had the number on both ends. Otherwise it's not that bad. Does this mean its the beginning of the end? :eek:
Thanks for the link.
I think it should read Dining Car like on Superliners. Well, this is the beggining of Phase IVb/VI, but most likely the last paint scheme these Heritage cars will see in their lifetime. Somewhat sad considering they've been working non-stop for 50 years and when retired will be 55 years old.

You know they are built good when they last 55 years though, sure they have been refurbished many times, but the design withstood the tests of time. Those diners have probably been through alot of good times and bad times, especially during the 60s and 70s, yikes. Im sure if they could talk they would have all kinds of intresting stories!

Will I like the Photo of the Heritage Diner Car in Phase IVB and so how many Heritage Diner Cars are in Phase IVB?

Amtrak Railfan said:
Will I like the Photo of the Heritage Diner Car in Phase IVB and so how many Heritage Diner Cars are in Phase IVB?
Just one right now. I also think this Diner just came back from Beech Grove after some interior work was done.

It seems like the lunch counter idea was scrapped, since it says that this one doesnt have it!

The lunch counter idea was indeed scrapped, it was determined that the space could better be used as a staging area for the rest of the car, salads, dinners, dessert, etc. Some of the cars have had the stools removed, others still have them (the only people who will ever sit at the stools these days are crew members hanging out in the Dining car). As for the identity of the Heritage Diner in VI it is known to be 8528, this has been reported by a Silver Service Engineer, no confirmation from another source though.

I wonder why they didnt put one of those neat looking red "Safety Stripes" along the bottom of this diner, I think that would have made it look more sharp.

P40Power said:
I wonder why they didnt put one of those neat looking red "Safety Stripes" along the bottom of this diner, I think that would have made it look more sharp.
I agree about the safety strip. It is amazing when you think about it, 5 paint schemes under Amtrak, plus being painted in the predecessors colors, all of the people that have used the cars in the past. I am looking forward to "Heritage Replacements" though (presumably Viewliners).

Amtrak has to have some kind of record for most different Paint Schemes for like any railroad!! I mean are more then the 5 Phases, youve got the regional service ones like California and Cascades, as well as Lava Lamp paint jobs, the Turboliner II paint job, etc. The list just goes on!!

But for the heritage diners, they have probably seen much more paint in their Amtrak years then when they ran for their original owners, most roads left them pretty much silver through out and just applied the roads name to the car and such!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back