Heritage Dorm in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donctor

Conductor
There's a Heritage Crew Dorm sitting in the Chicago yard. It's in Phase VI paint (complete with the new "wave" logo) and appears to have been recently cleaned. Someone on YouTube got a video of it deadheading on the Hoosier State a while back. Any idea what it's doing in Chicago? Does it serve as a backup in the event that a Viewliner is bad-ordered?

There's a Heritage Crew Dorm sitting in the Chicago yard. It's in Phase VI paint (complete with the new "wave" logo) and appears to have been recently cleaned. Someone on YouTube got a video of it deadheading on the Hoosier State a while back. Any idea what it's doing in Chicago? Does it serve as a backup in the event that a Viewliner is bad-ordered?
Its a car used by the Amtrak Inspector Generals office. Its basically similar in nature to Beech Grove or the like. Its not used for revenue.

Car 10021, the "Pacific Command". A former Heritage sleeper turned crew dorm turned inspection car.
Thanks for the info.

So what is done when a Viewliner is bad-ordered in Chicago? I've never had that happen out of CHI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Car 10021, the "Pacific Command". A former Heritage sleeper turned crew dorm turned inspection car.
Thanks for the info.

So what is done when a Viewliner is bad-ordered in Chicago? I've never had that happen out of CHI.
Most of the time they substitute with an Amfleet II coach, which is what just happened on July 29th when I rode the LSL out of Chicago. Thankfully for me, it was a NY sleeper that was bad ordered and I was in the Boston sleeper.

But several crew members, as well as several paying customers spent the night in a special coach, rather than the expected sleeper.

Thanks for the info.

Most of the time they substitute with an Amfleet II coach, which is what just happened on July 29th when I rode the LSL out of Chicago. Thankfully for me, it was a NY sleeper that was bad ordered and I was in the Boston sleeper.

But several crew members, as well as several paying customers spent the night in a special coach, rather than the expected sleeper.

That isn't half as bad as back when the great Viewliner debackle happened. I have a pic of the LSL (before it was turned to a NY based consist, with the stub to Boston) and one NY sleeper was replaced with a Horizon coach :lol: :rolleyes: , there was no BOS sleeper (not even a car in for it :eek: ). That consist looked horrible :eek: !

Thanks for the info.

Since there are only two Viewliner trains (a total of 4 Viewliner cars) out of Chicago, and they do try to maintain a spare Viewliner in Chicago, usually they can sub it out. You need 50% of the cars to go bad for a oddball sub to happen. Especially since one of those trains are tri-weekly. That is probably why it is so rare. The VL train I see missing a car most often is, unsurprisingly, the Crescent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back