Hi all, question about late trains.....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Breeze

Train Attendant
Hi everyone.. I'm not back home yet, but I am in Boston!

Nice trip it was :) I really liked it, but the Lake Shore Limited was late by 6 hours, but it was still a good trip!

I have a question though... if the Lake Shore Limited is late going back to Chicago, when I leave Boston and I miss the Southwest Chief, what do I do? Would I have to wait until the next day to catch it? The Lake Shore Limited leaves at 11:50am on the 11th and the Southwest Chief leaves at 3:15pm on the 12th.

Thanks all who put up with me and my millions of questions.. I really do appreciate it :)

Glad you enjoyed your trip! 6 hours late - now you know why they call it the "Late Shore Limited". :(

That is definitely a guaranteed connection in Chicago, and if Amtrak cannot get you to the Chief in time, they will not leave you high and dry. They will have to either transport you somewhere down the line to catch the train, or they will have to put you up in a hotel for the night.

No Anthony.. don't say a hotel! lol

I just hope that I catch my train on time, especially the Southwest Chief.. that's a great train! Not that Lake Shore Limited is bad, because that train is good as well.

See the Capitol Limited was running late, so that made my train run late, but I'm not too sure why the Capitol Limited was late, but we didn't leave until hour and half later.

Breeze, i am so glad you enjoyed your trip. I just knew that once you got on board and actually SAW things with your own two eyes that it would all make a lot more sense than you were afraid it would make. I did track your progress, probably others here did also, and was annoyed at your late Lake Shore delay.....having been relieved to see you were 5 minutes early into CHI from LA.

For the record, this morning's Lake Shore Ltd arrived into CHi 5 minutes early. However, today's train into BOS is about 2 hrs late. So you never know.You have almost six hours between trains in CHI so there really should not be too much of a problem.

Breeze,

I'm glad that your trip went well overall, even though you were a tad bit late getting into Boston. :lol:

Odds are in your favor that you will make the connection when you return. The trains are not usually that late.

However as Anthony mentioned, Amtrak will make sure that you get where you are going no matter what. So on the off chance that the train is late, just follow the instructions of the conductor and the station personel in Chicago. They will tell you what they are going to do to complete your trip.

If things are that late, then Amtrak pays for the hotel and they will give you meal vouchers so you won't starve. They will also get you to and from the hotel.

Again though, I wouldn't worry too much. Out of 365 days in the year, Amtrak probably only misses that connection about a dozen times a year. So the odds are in your favor, that you will arrive in time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back