Hi from Montana!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone! Pleased to join this site as I start my train travel adventure.

I have never been on Amtrak. In fact the longest train ride I have ever been on was a 4 hour trip as a teenager in New Zealand.

In fact before I even get to ride Amtrak I will be spending 2 weeks running around England on a First Class Britrail pass starting in 10 days. Looking forward to that.

We live 150 miles south of Whitefish MT, which would make it our closest Amtrak station. I am planning a trip next spring for my wife and I from here to Seattle, overnight there then south on the Coast Starlight to Emeryville to visit family for a couple days, then the California Zephyr to Chicago. Stop there for 3 nights then the Empire Builder back to Montana. Start to finish will be 11 days. Then because the train arrives in Whitefish at 10 pm (God willing) we'll probably stay in a hotel there and drive home the next morning.

I am sure I will have lots of questions as I get started with these new adventures, hopefully at some point I will be able to contribute some knowledge.

Hi everyone! Pleased to join this site as I start my train travel adventure.

I have never been on Amtrak. In fact the longest train ride I have ever been on was a 4 hour trip as a teenager in New Zealand.

In fact before I even get to ride Amtrak I will be spending 2 weeks running around England on a First Class Britrail pass starting in 10 days. Looking forward to that.

We live 150 miles south of Whitefish MT, which would make it our closest Amtrak station. I am planning a trip next spring for my wife and I from here to Seattle, overnight there then south on the Coast Starlight to Emeryville to visit family for a couple days, then the California Zephyr to Chicago. Stop there for 3 nights then the Empire Builder back to Montana. Start to finish will be 11 days. Then because the train arrives in Whitefish at 10 pm (God willing) we'll probably stay in a hotel there and drive home the next morning.

I am sure I will have lots of questions as I get started with these new adventures, hopefully at some point I will be able to contribute some knowledge.
I've used the bus between Whitefish and Denver (change at Missoula and Billings) and you're in a beautiful part of the country. P1040644.JPG

Welcome to AU, that sounds like a great trip you've got planned. You're probably aware that there are ongoing efforts to restore passenger service to Missoula and the rest of southern MT. I have driven through Missoula many times and I would love to take a train that way. I have been thru MT on the Empire Builder as well.

Free parking at Whitefish so we would run up there in our "farm truck" (2003 Chevy Silverado) which nobody would break into or steal. Better than leaving a Touareg TDI or Infinity Q for 11 days.

Amtrak to Missoula will not happen in my lifetime...

Back