Hialeah facility woes continue!!!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
What a day!!!! :(

Walked in this morning and got "slammed" as usual.

First thing I see is Lancer Electric trucks all over the yard and people all over the place. We also have 2 construction companies doing improvements in the yard. Keep this in mind!!!!! :blink:

1) The 480V ground power took a major "dump", Friday night. :ph34r: Folks in the yard saw flames shooting over the power lines and that the ground was vibrating!!! :eek: We have no power on the running side, we're using locos for power. The underground conduit, 4 control boxes and the main transformer are gone. They started repairs, no estimate of cost and maybe 12 days to finish. The rain isn't helping.

2) RAIN!!!! :angry: Probably caused the 480 problem. ;) Tommy, the "go-to man", was called in Sunday night at 700pm. The wheel lathe, wheelpit and test pits were flooded!! :( He had portable gas pumps, trying to empty the pits an was failing miserably!! :angry: The more he pumped, the more they filled. :blink:

DOT has 2 companies on the property. Project #1 is putting a drainage system on the property. It's been 4 months and still going!! Amtrak called the company, which sent a large vacumn truck. $600 just to show up. :eek:

They suck out the pits and proceed to the main drain pipe. Over $1200 dollars now!! :eek: After 30 minutes of sucking the pipe, it's determined that the new line is totally blocked. :blink: 2 months ago, while working that area, I had noticed smoke coming out of the ground. Found out that smoke is used to look for joint leaks and the pipes are blocked off for testing. When they looked in the drain, a 4 ft plug was 10 ft down!!! :blink: It's been pretty dry the last 2 months. SURPRISE!!! :huh:

They will eat the tab now, but the lift motor and controls were under water. Can't change wheels. :(

3) No wheels!!! :huh: With all the bad cars last week and the wheel lathe not able to cut Amfleet wheels, we're in bad shape. We have 3 sets and have to save them for the LDT's. All cars in PM are stacking up!!! Hoping for wheels from BeechGrove in a few days. Hopefully, More trucks are planned. I need 5 sets already.

HEY!!!! :eek:

I forgot to tell ya's. I'm still working as a foreman!! :p Tommy Farr noticed that the PM line needs 2 and was slowing production.

I dread tomorrow!!! :(

Miami Joe B)

Well the improvements to the actual yard seem like some positive news, despite the affect on actual work being performed on the cars. The weather also does not seem to be helping either. Hopefully, brighter days to come.

Amfleet said:
Well the improvements to the actual yard seem like some positive news, despite the affect on actual work being performed on the cars. The weather also does not seem to be helping either. Hopefully, brighter days to come.
Unfortunatley this is fl and just getting into the hottest part of summer. The higher temps and humidity make it all the more likely for thunderstorms and lots of them. :(

I hope you can keep getting the cars out, and amtrak finally realizes the importance of Hialeah.

Hopefully in the near future you guys wont have as many problems.

The TMI diners and V/L's are starting to show their age. :(

This facility never made the effort to anticipate what parts would be needed in the future. We're finding defects and no parts on the property. Some parts are not in the Amtrak inventory, so we are at the mercy of the vendors and Amtrak's deplorable inventory management.

I find myself doing the groundwork that materials should be doing, but they are struggling too. I can't find freezer compressors for 2 lounges. Had to send 28014 out with b/o ice bins. Things are getting weird!!! :ph34r:

Miami Joe B)

And today's Silvers are not doing any better. The closest to on-time is 92 at just under two hours late. 98, 91, 97 all 3 to 4 hours late. I guess the hurricane may be contributing to the southbound lateness. Palmetto seems to be doing ok in both directions, though. Yesterday's northbound 98 + 92 were also 4 - 6 hours late into Jax, they came past WPK both within a short time of each other last evening, followed shortly by a northbound freight, so I am guessing there was some kind of track blockage somewhere south of WPK on the "A" line. Trains arriving late into MIA must just make a bad situation worse at HIA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back