Hiawatha CHI-MKE turn during Chicago visit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentuckian1977

Service Attendant
I'm thinking of doing a CHI-MKE roundtrip on the 333/338 Hiawatha Service trains while in Chicago this weekend during my upcoming Cardinal/CONO roundtrip. First off, I assume since they are unreserved trains anyway I might as well just wait and get my Hiawatha tickets at Union Station on Sunday? I have never been in Wisconsin and always like to mark another state off my list when I have a chance, and obviously the more train travel the merrier too! I was google mapping the area near the MKE station, and was thinking I could head over to the Grand Avenue Mall during my layover there - is this an OK walk? Anything else nearby I should check out? Would like to get a pic or two of the outside of the old former Warner Grand Theater (it is still there?) - I'm also a major classic film geek, and one of my favorite old movies with Jack Carson had its premiere there wayyyyy back when (way before my time, but then most of the stuff I'm into was. :giggle: )

I'll be in Chitown from 10ish AM on Saturday until the CONO leaves Sunday night, and then I'll also have about 8 hours there between the CONO and the Card on the way home. Planning to do the Sears (NOT Willis) Tower first thing when I get there Saturday, and then probably ride the L out to either Linden or Kimball and back before checking into my hotel. Going to then hit State Street and Michigan Avenue Saturday evening. Then do Lou Mitchell's followed by the Milwaukee roundtrip on Sunday morning/early afternoon. Then maybe Giordano's before time to catch the CONO. :cool: During the layover on the way home on the 15th, I'm planning to do the Art Institute and maybe whichever L roundtrip I don't do on Saturday.

The Mall and Wisconsin Ave, the main business/tourist drag, are a 5 minute walk from the station. I have been the mall and it is the typical collection of chain restaurants and cell phone kiosks so I cannot endorse it as destination of itself. Milwaukee markets itself with the art museum silhouette and the grounds are worth a visit as well as the shore of Lake Michigan from Lakeshore State Park if you can stand the cold and/or snow. Both are a walk down Wisconsin Ave proably about half a mile each way.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/lakeshore/

Also book the tickets in advance if you can utilize a AAA/NARP/AARP discount.

The Mall and Wisconsin Ave, the main business/tourist drag, are a 5 minute walk from the station. I have been the mall and it is the typical collection of chain restaurants and cell phone kiosks so I cannot endorse it as destination of itself. Milwaukee markets itself with the art museum silhouette and the grounds are worth a visit as well as the shore of Lake Michigan from Lakeshore State Park if you can stand the cold and/or snow. Both are a walk down Wisconsin Ave proably about half a mile each way.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/specific/lakeshore/

Also book the tickets in advance if you can utilize a AAA/NARP/AARP discount.
Thanks. Cold doesn't bother me (in fact prefer it to heat) and hopefully the weather forecast will hold up, as it is to be sunny and 39 Sunday in Milwaukee (isn't that a heatwave up there this time of year? :giggle: )

It's more like a 1 mile+ each way from downtown to the lake via Wisconsin Avenue, with a little bit of a hill between the river and the lake. But doable, seeing you have 3 hours.

BTW, the Hiawatha is almost never late, so don't count on that. :giggle:

I've been in the mall. Nothing great. Though I do enjoy eating in the Culvers there. If you do somer research on Yelp, you might find a restaurant to your liking in the area.

It's more like a 1 mile+ each way from downtown to the lake via Wisconsin Avenue, with a little bit of a hill between the river and the lake. But doable, seeing you have 3 hours.

BTW, the Hiawatha is almost never late, so don't count on that. :giggle:
Milwaukee is a great place to spend a few hours!

I walked out to the lakeshore and the art museum when I had a six hour layover in MKE last summer. It was very enjoyable, quite doable, and there is some very interesting late 19th century architecture along the way. There are also paths along the river that are interesting to explore.

The train station is also just a few blocks from the (trendy/historic) Third Ward neighborhood, which has a large variety of restaurants as well as the Milwaukee Public Market.

Google maps also has Transit directions (if a city participates - Milwaukee does) and walking directions.

There's a little icon for each when you input directions.

Nicely detailed with times, routes, schedules, mileage, length of time, etc.

Google's maps app has the same capabilities.

Came in handy when I was in NYC.

Enjoy! Sounds like a fun trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Milwaukee is a great town!! I'd stay away from the mall. Nothing good goes on there. I'd just take a long walk and look at the beautiful buildings. Take a cab ride to USINGER SAUSAGE COMPANY... the very best!! :mellow:

Thanks everyone...I do think I'm going to take a walk through downtown...take pics of the old theater and some of the downtown buildings, and maybe do part of the riverwalk if it is not too cold and get a pic of the bronze Fonze, lol.

Thanks everyone...I do think I'm going to take a walk through downtown...take pics of the old theater and some of the downtown buildings, and maybe do part of the riverwalk if it is not too cold and get a pic of the bronze Fonze, lol.
While crossing the river on Wisconsin, don't miss Gertie the Duck.

gertie_the_duck.jpg

While crossing the river on Wisconsin, don't miss Gertie the Duck.

gertie_the_duck.jpg
Oh gracious, I didn't know about Gertie, will def. have to get her pic while on the way to get Fonzie's, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back