Highball Chicago Amtrak #30

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Viewliner said:
I'd like to see an NJT feature, as well as Amtrak. Its a good way to see how late your train is.
NJT has way too many trains to track during rush hour. You'd have to have seperate maps for each line otherwise you'd just have one huge dot on the map. :lol:

Even with sperate maps for each line it would still be tough to show all of the trains, especially around the major terminals.

AlanB said:
Viewliner said:
I'd like to see an NJT feature, as well as Amtrak.  Its a good way to see how late your train is.
NJT has way too many trains to track during rush hour. You'd have to have seperate maps for each line otherwise you'd just have one huge dot on the map. :lol:

Even with sperate maps for each line it would still be tough to show all of the trains, especially around the major terminals.
Even more so, imagine a map of the NEC with every train pin pointed on the map. Whether it be MARC, SEPTA, NJT, LIRR, MN, SLE, MBTA, Amtrak, and even localized freight moves. It would be one crowded map, thats for sure. My credit goes to all the dispatchers who actually have to deal with these situations.

Then again Alan CTEC is divided into different sections. Not that their job isn't hard, but it makes it more managable. The guy with the hard job is the Chief who has to call some of the hard shots.

battalion51 said:
Then again Alan CTEC is divided into different sections. Not that their job isn't hard, but it makes it more managable. The guy with the hard job is the Chief who has to call some of the hard shots.
Which is exactly my point. To put all of the NJT lines onto one screen would be nightmarish. If Amtrak is dividing up the NEC, then NJT would need to divide it's various lines onto various screens.

With 8 transit lines all on or near the NEC and some of those lines stretching more than 80 miles in length, placing all of that on one computer screen at a resolution of 800X600 is too much data. At any given moment during rush hour, NJT could easily have 50 to 60 trains in motion. That many trains squished into one screen showing a few hundred miles of track, would be far too confusing. One train's label would simply overlap another's.

NJT has seperate dispatchers for it's vaious lines, so therefore if they were to make a real time system, then it should show each line on one screen. Not all lines in a jumble.

In NJT's case, and some of the larger companies like MBTA, that operate a lot of trains very frequently they would be better off with a screen that shows approximately how close to on time trains are running as a whole, rather than individually. However in a situation like VRE, Tri-Rail, and MARC, they can get away with it since they don't operate trains nearly as often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back