Holiday 2005/SWC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Frank

i'm interested in taking my family of 4 (spouse, myself, 2children ages 11 and 14) on the Southwest Chief from Kansas City, Mo to San Bernadino, CA over the Christmas holiday break. We would book 2 bedrooms. Can anyone tell me what we could expect? Would we get any sleep? How about motion sickness? Weather related problems this time of year? Thanks.

Weather can always be unpredictable, but usually the trains do get through. They tend to be subject to far less problems than the airlines.

As for sleep, no one can predict that. Many people, including myself, sleep quite well on trains. I always get a bedroom though, but I know people who sleep quite well even in coach. On the other hand, I do know people who don't sleep well on a train. It really depends on the individual. Sorry, but that's the best answer I can give you.

As for what to expect, expect to be late, as Amtrak runs at the mercy of the freight RR's. Amtrak does not control the tracks or the signals. Additionally, you can expect to take all of your meals in the dining car for free. Although tip and alcohol are not included.

You should also find coffee, tea, and juice in the sleeping car. An attendant who will put your beds down at night for you upon request and return them in the morning. You should expect to spend some time enjoying the scenery from the Sightseer Lounge car, with it's floor to ceiling windows.

Finally you may wish to check out these hints & tips from On Track On Line.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to come back and ask. :)

Ps. I'm moving this topic over to the Amtrak forum, where you will probably get more responses from other people.

Southwest Chief is one of the few trains that is usually ontime. As for bad weather, airlines are usually stop to standstill while trains can continue its journey, except for severe snowstorms or floods. As for SWC, the worse area would be Chicago area and Mississippi areas. It's very rare.

As for sleeper class, most people will have some adjustment to sleep on the first night, but on the second night and later, you'll be already adjusted to it.

As for motion sickness, it's minimal, better than car sickness. Middle part of the car is the least movement.

Have a great trip!

AlanB said:
As for what to expect, expect to be late...
:eek: Alan, we are talking about the Southwest Chief here. This train RARELY runs more than five or ten minutes late... usually it is early or on time into all station stops.

jccollins said:
AlanB said:
As for what to expect, expect to be late...
:eek: Alan, we are talking about the Southwest Chief here. This train RARELY runs more than five or ten minutes late... usually it is early or on time into all station stops.
Aloha

I have ridden this train and it was never late But I think I would second the comment "expect to be late"

Then I add this is a great ride, enjoy!!!

I've ridden the SWC many times, even back when it was the South West Limited, and I've NEVER had a moment of unhappiness. Good weather, bad weather, horrible blizzard, I always made whatever connection I needed to make. The crews have always been young, job-loving professionals. Sounds hokey, but I honestly have had a great time each and every time.

The route still has the Santa Fe Railroad tourist billboards, blue and white, pointing out all the sights along the way, especially in New Mexico and Arizona. there are quite a few places where, if you're a movie buff, you'll recognize the scenery.

Past experiences include riding the train as it rolled THROUGH a forest fire; a thunderstorm on both sides of the track; a huge Christmas Eve blizzard; plus my getting to tell the Phantom Brakeman story in the lounge to a bunch of now-scared kids on Halloween (trick-or-treating was a but short for thenm that year). I still get Christmas cards from a family I helped out in Dodge City, Kansas (where dodge ball was invented) some 18 years ago.

Back