Horn Sound

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trainfan

Service Attendant
Just wondered if the engineer can change the sound or pitch of the air horns? Most the time on the

P-42s they sound the same but the other day I was at a crossing in Mi when P-42 31 went by

and the horn made the most awefull screeching noise I ever heard !!!! If the crew couldnt do anything

about it , they must have been crazy by the end of the trip along with the passengers on the

first couple cars!!! (it reminded fingernails on a chochboard)

Trainfan

Just wondered if the engineer can change the sound or pitch of the air horns? Most the time on theP-42s they sound the same but the other day I was at a crossing in Mi when P-42 31 went by

and the horn made the most awefull screeching noise I ever heard !!!! If the crew couldnt do anything

about it , they must have been crazy by the end of the trip along with the passengers on the

first couple cars!!! (it reminded fingernails on a chochboard)

Trainfan
Sometimes they have to switch out the horns for one reason or another, or maybe the original one was damaged. In these cases a replacement horn is put on. In this case you described, its possible the horn just needed replacing. The engineer can alter the pitch or sound by how far he presses down on the "HORN" button in the cab. Many different levels and pitches can be reached, but all within reason. The sound you described is probably not something the engineer did on purpose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have noticed that the pitch of the horns on trains changes with the altitude as trains traverse up and down mountains.

I haven't heard of an engineer being able to change the pitch of the horn, but I do know on some of the older locos (ones that have a horn lever to sound the horn instead of a button) the engineer can determine how much air is to be force through the diaphram allowing him/her to sound it lightly or loudly. On these new wide body freight locos, I don't see that they can do that. I know the old F40PHs Amtrak had could sound light or loud, too. But I am not totally sure of the Genesis locos, though I believe they may be able to. Shoot I remember in my younger days hearing some of the "old head" engineers blowing the horn as if it was a steam whistle! That sounded cool when they would go by my house doing that.

Had8ley, could you do that on the older units?

formerly OBS........

I have noticed that the pitch of the horns on trains changes with the altitude as trains traverse up and down mountains.

Wow, I thought I was the only one to notice that. I just did so a couple years ago when I rode the "Canadian" through the Rockies.

formerly OBS....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back