Hotel for Sacramento Layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kt1i

Train Attendant
I will be arriving in Sacramento on the CZ and leaving southbound on the CS the next day. How is the Vagabond Inn near the station? Any other good options? Looking to keep costs down it's only for one night.

I stayed at the Vagabond Inn last March while in Sacramento and thought it was great. Not too pricey, and for me it worked great. The room came with basic amenities and I'd sure stay there again.

There's also a Holiday Inn, one block over from them the Vagabond Inn, I've stayed there. It's very handy to the mall and restaurants there in. I've stayed in the HI, it was wonderful.

We stayed at the Vagabond last July. It was pretty good, wasn't too expensive & also has a pool. It's directly across from the Amtrak station. There's a Denny's right next to it if you want a basic meal.

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn, which was close to the station, and also at the Sacramento youth hostel (hostels international), which is also within walking distance from the station. Hostel is in a very interesting old mansion, and very good value.

Ed :cool:

Ed, I have a 10 hour layover in Sacramento in September, I'm a member of HI and also donate to HI's campaigns, do you think they would let us hang there for a bit or would that be a no-no?

Ed, I have a 10 hour layover in Sacramento in September, I'm a member of HI and also donate to HI's campaigns, do you think they would let us hang there for a bit or would that be a no-no?
You can always give them a call. My office is on the next block over from the hostel. Was fun to watch when the moved it across the street a few years ago. Their number is (916) 443-1691. I do know it's open during the day as I've seen people sitting on the porch in the summer when I'm out walking at lunch.

I guess it might be awkward to have people on the premises who were just hanging around, without being checked in as guests. Maybe you could make a reservation and check in, but just use the facility to rest up.. Having said that, I did see an odd character lurking around the kitchens at Santa Monica hostel, and people were complaining later that their food had gone missing, so maybe you could sneak in!

Ed :cool:

My wife and I stayed at the Vagabond Inn on our '07 excursion and we liked it so well we have booked it this May for our upcoming Spring excursion. It is directly across "I" street from the Sacramento Amtrak station. Vagabond Inn provided a shuttle back in '07 which was great as we had luggage to lug. (Hoping that they still provide it) Old town and the Train museum is within walking distance. Also the comp breakfast had a nice variety and they kept it well stocked. Mark

My wife and I stayed at the Vagabond Inn on our '07 excursion and we liked it so well we have booked it this May for our upcoming Spring excursion. It is directly across "I" street from the Sacramento Amtrak station. Vagabond Inn provided a shuttle back in '07 which was great as we had luggage to lug. (Hoping that they still provide it) Old town and the Train museum is within walking distance. Also the comp breakfast had a nice variety and they kept it well stocked. Mark

As of last spring, the Vagabond Inn still provided shuttle service. Prompt and courteous, too. And I too enjoyed their complimentary breakfast.

As of last spring, the Vagabond Inn still provided shuttle service. Prompt and courteous, too. And I too enjoyed their complimentary breakfast.
Aloha

Not sure why if it is accross the street a shuttle is necessary. However That seems to be the name I remember of the hotel I stayed at for the OTOL NoCall fest which was a long block away.

If you use google maps of the area, you will notice that you must walk to the end of the Sacramento Station parking lot, cross the street, then walk back down to the Vagabond. We stayed there in July-I wished we had known they had a shuttle! We would have used it! We rolled two not so small carryons over to it!

(I tried to pasted the link in, & it just kept going to the main map page)

If you use google maps of the area, you will notice that you must walk to the end of the Sacramento Station parking lot, cross the street, then walk back down to the Vagabond. We stayed there in July-I wished we had known they had a shuttle! We would have used it! We rolled two not so small carryons over to it! (I tried to pasted the link in, & it just kept going to the main map page)
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...mp;t=h&z=17

might work.

You might have been doing this anyway (if so sorry for telling you what you know already) but there's a "Link" option on the top-right, just above the map; if you use that you can get a link to paste into emails. If you just copy from the address bar you normally only get the main google maps page.

When I stayed in Sacramento last March, the shuttle was definitely needed. I went with my aunt, uncle, and their 12 year old granddaughter. My aunt is wheelchair bound, and we needed all the help we could get with luggage.

If you use google maps of the area, you will notice that you must walk to the end of the Sacramento Station parking lot, cross the street, then walk back down to the Vagabond. We stayed there in July-I wished we had known they had a shuttle! We would have used it! We rolled two not so small carryons over to it! (I tried to pasted the link in, & it just kept going to the main map page)
Yes, to get to the hotel from the station you have to walk to 5th Street (Starbucks/Federal Courthouse side) to cross "I" Street and be able to walk to the Vagabond. Since the freeway on ramp is on the west side of the station there is no way to cross I Street in that location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back