Hotel in Portland, OR ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

penfrydd

Service Attendant
In another thread, which I can't remember/find, a couple of you highly recommended the Hotel Mediterranean, or something like that, in Portland, OR, saying it was reasonable and pleasant. I can't seem to find it on the web, so I'm assuming I've got the name wrong.

Kindly advise. I recall someone saying it was reasonably close to the station and to the Japanese Garden?

Thanks

Did you try tripadvisor? That website will list all of the hotels. You can look on the map to see which are closest to the station. The Portland transit system runs through downtown and provides options to get to many hotels. I recommend the Portland courtyard by Marriott.

The thread you're remembering meandered off (shocking! that almost never happens on this forum! :p ) from Portland to Seattle, where the Mediterranean is located.

Kindly advise. I recall someone saying it was reasonably close to the station and to the Japanese Garden?

Thanks
you probably mean the chinese garden which is in the old town/chinatown area just a few blocks from union station and well worth a visit. the japanese garden is in wahington park. also well worth visiting. we have had to lodge in portland overnight a couple times due to the lack of connection to the cs with the eb problems. if you want cheap, not fancy but close to the station we have been happy with the econo lodge at the convention center. i say again, cheap and not fancy but just across the broadway bridge from union station. walking distance for us and it is right on the streetcar line

Yarrow makes a key point, Portlands light rail system has a stop a block away from Union Station, this eases access to a wide range of h/motels both downtown and in the convention center area. The Japanese Gardens are accessable by city bus, check www.trimet.org for a trip planner, TriMet has a ticket machine in Union Station.

If you have time Powells Books (a full block bookstore), and Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation locomotive facility (home of SP4449 and SP&S700 steam engines) are worth a visit.

I have stayed in Portland a couple times since I started that original thread. I stay at the Embassy Suites - Downtown Portland. The price is reasonable and includes a breakfast buffet with an oumlet make to order station. The breakfast is great, the beds are wonderful and comfortable. They also have a nightly cocktail reception with free drinks and snacks. It is also within walking distance of lots of great downtown stuff.

There's a brand new Marriott Courtyard that's across the tracks from the station. I don't know how reasonable they are.

Yarrow makes a key point, Portlands light rail system has a stop a block away from Union Station, this eases access to a wide range of h/motels both downtown and in the convention center area. The Japanese Gardens are accessable by city bus, check www.trimet.org for a trip planner, TriMet has a ticket machine in Union Station.

If you have time Powells Books (a full block bookstore), and Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation locomotive facility (home of SP4449 and SP&S700 steam engines) are worth a visit.

Visited old friends in the Portland area last summer. Got to see OMSI, the Portland Zoo, Powell's Books, and an interesting park downtown. Even spent a day knocking about with a pass for the light rail system. I think I could retire to Portland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back