Hotel recommendation in New Orleans?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Webb

Train Attendant
I know this has been discussed here before, but can anyone recommend a safe, clean, quiet, economical lodging near the station in New Orleans? I will be arriving at 9:40 PM (assuming an OT arrival) on #2 and leaving the next morning on #20.

I found the Quality Inn and Suites on O'Keefe Street to be nice, centrally located and not so expensive. One advantage of staying there: you can't see the ugly facade when you're inside the building.

We have stayed at the Hampton Inn on Carondolet St a couple times. Very nice rooms, great breakfast and you can ride the new streetcar line from the station and up Canal St to within a block of the hotel. :p

Our experience with cabbies is they like to play games in their routes and rip you off :help:

We have also stayed at the Quality Inn & Suites on St Charles St. It is an interesting place with older mansion type buildings along with a newer section. Has more atmosphere than the Hampton and is cheaper. You could walk it during the day but I would not do it at night. Cab ride there was about $10. Could also take the streetcar, but if you have lots of luggage it could be a bit of a hassle.

I know this has been discussed here before, but can anyone recommend a safe, clean, quiet, economical lodging near the station in New Orleans? I will be arriving at 9:40 PM (assuming an OT arrival) on #2 and leaving the next morning on #20.
:hi: I usually recommend Plas D'Armes behind the Cathedral but there are Many Adequate to Great Hotels in Downtown New orleans! Since you are just staying One Night I would Google up the Hotels on a travel site (Kayak or Bookit.com are both reat )and go with one of the Mid-Range Chain Places as others have said! The Closest to the Station is a Holiday inn by the SuperDome (next to Union Station) but youll get more "Flavor" if you hop the Street Car or Cab to the Quarter or Business District/Convention Center Area for your Stay, this will get you Closer to the Great Reesturants and Joints which New orleans is Famous for!(Try Coop's on Decatur in the Quarter,Locals go there and it has the Coldest Beer in Town, Great Food(the Rabbit Jamabla is to Die for!), Working Girls make the Scenery Interesting and there's Gambling in the BackRoom! :eek: :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a room booked at Crown Plaza for December but I am not sure it is the best. I just wanted to get something booked that I can cancel if I found something better. Any suggestion for something near the French Quarter (but maybe not directly in the madness) and near a trolley line?

Check trip advisor for reviews. I like Marriott and hilton. If you can get a good rate at one of those you'll be ok. Near canal is good because you can use street cars to get to your hotel.

I've stayed at the downtown Marriott many times. Not the classiest of Marriotts, but quite good and very well located right by the French Quarter. If you can get a reasonable price there, I would certainly recommend it. (Short ride from the train and the new trolley line will get you there.)

I have a room booked at Crown Plaza for December but I am not sure it is the best. I just wanted to get something booked that I can cancel if I found something better. Any suggestion for something near the French Quarter (but maybe not directly in the madness) and near a trolley line?
If it's the Crowne Plaza that I think it is (right on Canal Street) it looks very very nice and it's right on the Canal Street Streetcar line so you can ride the streetcar directly from the Train Station to your hotel, one seat ride. (The line from Union Station joins up with the Canal Street Line).

I've stayed at several different hotels in New Orleans, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Hampton Inn Convention Center, - wherever I can find a good rate. I've never been 100% happy with a hotel there, the Hampton Inn was perfect as far as the hotel itself, but it was far away from everything except the Convention Center. The other Holiday Inn's (I've not yet stayed at the one closest to the station) have been a bit dated, but they did the job.

If by "near to the station" you mean a place you can walk to, without dealing with streetcars and taxi scams, then I would suggest the Hotel Lafayette. While its Tripadvisor reviews have been "mixed," I had a real good experience there last March [i too arrived on #2 and left, some days later, on #20.] It was an easy 8-minute walk from the station, even with suitcase in tow, along broad, safe-appearing Loyola and Girod Streets. Hotel is older, but mostly renovated; and with its own restaurant and bar; and at the advance-purchase price of less than $100., the spacious, clean, quiet, and tastefully decorated fifth-floor room that I was given represented exceptional value for downtown New Orleans. The St. Charles street location, next to Lafayette Park, has also become much livelier in recent years - a top restaurant is across the street - and it felt safe, even at night.

Last edited by a moderator:
without dealing with... ...taxi scams,
Taxi scams??? :blink: I've not hit a cabbie yet in NOL that has 'scammed' me. I think the flat rate of $10 - last I was there last year - into 'The 1/4' is a great deal. And I've never had a problem with getting a cab, or getting 'scammed' back to the station in time for the ungodly - for NOL - hour #20 leaves. I'd much prefer to stay in Vieux Carre' than either the Warehouse District or the CBD, thank you very much!

I think that charging the same flat rate for a half-mile ride into the CBD as for more distant destinations - four years ago it was $12., and others have reported even higher late-night fares - may fairly be termed a scam, however minor - if you're going to the CBD. Nor is it clear how OP, who asked about a layover of less than ten hours, would benefit by spending that time sleeping amidst the noise and higher prices of the Vieux Carre. But at least we've given him a range of choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back