Hotel recommendations for Denver Union Station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John McKinney

Hi, all. My wife and I are taking the California Zephyr from Denver to Oakland in August, and want to stay near Union Station. The Crawford Hotel there looks great, but seems way too pricey. Anyone have suggestions on a good hotel near the station?

Many thanks!

Oxford is across the street from the station. It is pricey, but not as much as Crawford. Later this month, I will be staying at the Hampton Inn on Sherman Street in downtown. It is walking distance from the 16th Street trolley. I booked in advance and the rate was reasonable, which later became outrageous and now it is sold out for the day I will be in town.

I always stay at the La Quinta on Park Ave West (303 -458-1222). I'm staying there again in Oct-$95! About a $5 cab ride! Very close! Have Fun

Last edited by a moderator:
The "cheap" hotel in the area is the LaQuinta (LaQuinta Inn Denver Central), if you don't mind walking 1.2 miles on slightly unpleasant roads (or taking a very short cab ride). It's where Amtrak puts up its conductors and engineers... I've stayed there and had no complaints.

The prices stay low because of the somewhat horrible location sandwiched between highways and railyards, but it's only a mile from Union Station and it's basically a straight shot on the road overpass. And if you like watching the freight trains, it's really well-located.

The "cheap" hotel in the area is the LaQuinta (LaQuinta Inn Denver Central), if you don't mind walking 1.2 miles on slightly unpleasant roads (or taking a very short cab ride). It's where Amtrak puts up its conductors and engineers... I've stayed there and had no complaints.

The prices stay low because of the somewhat horrible location sandwiched between highways and railyards, but it's only a mile from Union Station and it's basically a straight shot on the road overpass. And if you like watching the freight trains, it's really well-located.
I think your review is a little unfair! It is convenient, nice rooms, McDonalds on one side & a Restaurant on the other, continental breakfast, wifi, pool. I've even walked over to the Sports Bar across the street!

I think your review is a little unfair! It is convenient, nice rooms, McDonalds on one side & a Restaurant on the other, continental breakfast, wifi, pool. I've even walked over to the Sports Bar across the street!
Hey, I've stayed there repeatedly. I like it!

I can't honestly say that it's a great location, but it's a very comfortable hotel and very reasonably priced. And you may meet your train conductor!

Many thanks for the kind comments. I take it that La Quinta is the answer, just not to expect a lovely view of the Rockies.

I appreciate your help.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back