Hotel recommendations in St. Albans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all!

I am considering a trip in May in which riding the Vermonter from BWI to St. Albans will be a main feature. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for hotels in St. Albans. I see there is a Hampton Inn practically at the doorstep of the Amtrak station but is not taking reservations until June 2nd. Any help, advice, etc, is greatly appreciated! I've never really been in New England before save for a day in Boston and am looking forward to this trip if I can iron out all the details. Thanks again!!

I believe I stayed at the Econo-Lodge on S. Main St. when I went to St. Albans to ride the Vermonter to its terminus. Arriving into St. Albans it was a bitter cold night and I was the only passenger on the train. There appeared to be precisely one taxi in town and the Amtrak crew were kind enough to let me tag along with them instead of waiting in the cold for the taxi to return after dropping them off. They dropped me off at the hotel and then went off somewhere else. It is less than a mile from the station as I recall. Next morning the same taxi picked me up to take me to the station presumably after taking the crew to the station. I wonder if the guy slept at night. Most likely he did, since the only customers appeared to be related to the train. On the departure from St. Albans there were five additional people other than me.

The place was adequate but nothing to write home about. pickings are very thin when it comes to lodging, in St. Albans.

I stayed at the same Econo Lodge on South Main Street about a year ago and have the same review as jis. The place was very basic but my room was clean, the lady at the front desk was super friendly, and it came with a free (though very limited) breakfast the next morning. I actually walked to this hotel, which is not bad if the weather is decent (took about 30 minutes).

I stayed at the Cadillac Motel, a very cool mom and pop 60s style place. It's within walking distance from the station (maybe a mile?) provided you don't have heavy luggage. I was not even given the option for the cab as it was already reserved for the train crew.

Yeah. Normally the cab would go drop the train crew and then come back for anyone else, or so I was given to understand.

The day I went there the temp was something like 12F so they collectively took pity on me and let me pile in with the crew.

Stayed at LaQuinta inn in St Albans. Bit pricey as it was in leaf peeping season. Train crews at that time stayed there.

Thank you for your replies. As it turns out, May does not work for me to take this trip. i had a conflict with the one week I had planned to go in May that I had overlooked, and the only other week in May that I could have gone is no longer an option. That was the week before Memorial Day and my workplace just recently decreed that no one is to take vacation time the week before a major holiday. So I have postponed the trip until September, at which time the Hampton Inn will be open. It looks to be just a few hundred feet from the Amtrak station. So that settles that. Thank you again. :)

Back