Hotel Recommendations Needed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I am planning a trip for next summer. It will be from Chico, CA to Seattle to Chicago and then Chicago to Portland to Chico. I will probably stay 1 night in Seattle, 3 nights in Chicago, and no nights in Portland.

I would like recommendations for hotels within walking distance of the stations in Seattle and Chicago. I would prefer under $100 per night.

I'm not sure where the train comes in in Chicago but you might want to do a search on hotels in Chicago. Put in downtown Chicago. I am just guessing that is where it might come in. Then when you click on a hotel, it may say how close it is to the train station. Good luck.

I can't help you with regards to Seattle, but I can with Chicago.

First off, there is nothing that's really within walking distance of Chicago's Union station, unless you consider 8 or more city blocks to be within walking distance. Sadly even then, those hotels probably will not fit the budget you've mentioned.

I would suggest the Cass hotel, however that will require either a cab ride or a subway ride. It's a plain no frills hotel, but typically has rooms for under $100 and often under $80.

On Track On Line just held a fest that spent 1 night in Chicago. So the planner (Superlinerdiner, along with a little help from me) created this webpage with all Chicago hotels that are near a subway stop. The Cass, along with a link to it, is on the above page, along with another dozen or so hotels that may be of interest.

In Seattle, the Best Western Pioneer Square is close to King St. Station.

Depending on which rate plan you choose, a room will run as low as $120. I stayed there last fall; it was an enjoyable stay. The hotel is about 4 tenths of a mile from the station; an easy walk.

Regards,

Mike P

battalion51 said:
I believe there's a Holiday in not too far from CUS, not sure on rates though.
Hmm, you're right B51. One that Kevin and I seem to have missed, either that or the rates were out of the range that we normally list for our fests.

In any event Denmarks, the Holiday Inn claims that they are 1/4 of a mile from Union Station, near the Clinton Ave. stop on the Blue line. You can find more info on that hotel here.

Check out the Hostelling International Chicago, located downtown in the South Loop at 24 East Congress Parkway, less than 3 blocks away from the famous Chicago Art Institute on Michigan Avenue.

I'm a senior traveler from Canada and I've stayed there on three different occasions before rail trips to the western states and have always felt welcome and safe, in this super clean hostel...all for around $30 per night. The clientel are often international travelers. Web site is www.hichicago.org

Also, don't miss the best Chicago breakfast at the famous 'Lou Mitchell's', on the south side of Union Station, at 565 W. Jackson Blvd.

When I was in SEA last month, my traveling party and I stayed at "The Roosevelt" in downtown. It appeared to be a good twelve or fifteen blocks from King St Station, but the cab fare was not that bad in either direction (even in the rush hour time on our way back to the staion to catch #11). Now the room cost ($180 per night) is a different story, however, we wanted to be sure we were within walking distance to everything in downtown. And to my suprise we were able to ride the bus in a large area of downtown free of charge. And as the poster noted, I did notice that "Best Western" there at Pioneer Sqare, too. You may do better ratewise there, if you are definitely wanting to stay within walking distance of the station. OBS...

On Track On Line just held a fest that spent 1 night in Chicago. So the planner (Superlinerdiner, along with a little help from me) created this webpage with all Chicago hotels that are near a subway stop. The Cass, along with a link to it, is on the above page, along with another dozen or so hotels that may be of interest.
Alan - the link in this takes me to an article about GCT in NYC???

In any event Denmarks, the Holiday Inn claims that they are 1/4 of a mile from Union Station, near the Clinton Ave. stop on the Blue line. You can find more info on that hotel here.
This HI is within walking distance, but I wouldn't want to do that after dark, especially with luggage. Not the best part of town. It is near the new Bus Station.
Best rate I could find there was over $200 a night. They Might have some type of van service that would come get you and take you back to CUS.

No place to eat except the hotel.

When staying overnight in Chicago, I always stay in the Inn of Chicago, which is the same place the Amtrak crews overnight. It's part of the Best Western system. It's too far to walk, but a $5.00 cab ride away. I've never paid more than $86 per night, but I have a Best Western card, which gives discounts, free breakfasts, and room upgrades.

The Best Western on Pioneer Square in SEA is very close to the train station, and a very nice hotel with lots of restaurants nearby. It's a re-recently re-finished hotel from the 1920's era.

MrFSS said:
Alan - the link in this takes me to an article about GCT in NYC???
It sure did. :eek: My appologies, it's now fixed, or you can just click here.

Check out Amtrak's hotel reservations page (through hotels.com) at http://www.travelnow.com/index.jsp?cid=55984 and search for hotels near the "Chicago Amtrak Station" and "Seattle Amtrak" under the find hotels near the point of interest option that shows up. It will show you all the hotels in order of closest to furthest from each station and their corresponding prices. Good luck!

JC (currently one station up the line in Redding)

I guess we don't have any Seattle experts on motels. I was kind of looking at that also.

Yes, the Best Western Pioneer Sq. is the closest to the SEA station. Call them direct and ask to speak to the "director of rooms". Ask him (or her) for a discount from their posted rack rates as "your company is pressing you to reduce travel expenses" or some other excuse. I have found if you call the hotel(s) direct you can usually get the best rates. Forget the websites. This is extra work but usually worth the effort. Good Luck...

Wb

Aloha

A few years ago I found a railfan hotel 1/2 block from the Seattle station that had a rate less than the cab ride to the SEATAC Holiday Inn where my Company put me. Considering I arrived around 8:00pm and left around 6:00am wish I had stayed there.

Sorry I dont remember the name.

Try hotels.com for both cities.I got a good rate when i went to Boston and the hotel was close to south station.They let you pick your location when i visited their web site.

There is a nice Hotel in Seattle near the space needle . It call Hoilday Inn Express and it only 5-10 mintue ride in a cab .

Back