houston accident

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

panamaclipper

From Houston news reports. Guess they are down another loco.

HOUSTON -- An Amtrak train clipped the back of a tanker truck near South Main and Gessner just before noon Friday. Police say the trucker crossed the railroad tracks then came to a stop with the tail end of his truck was still on the tracks. The tanker was pushed down the tracks but it didn't overturn. The train engineer was taken to Southwest Memorial Hospital with minor injuries. No one else was hurt.

The investigation revealed that the truck driver was at fault for stopping on the tracks and he was issued a citation.

Reported P42DC 207 and 116 were involved, ultimately 207 could no longer continue, and 116 operated solo.

I see things like this constantly when driving near RR crossings peple do not take into consideration how long their vehicles are an that a train (or light rail vehicle) are wider than the track gauge and wind up fouling the tracks. Would be nice to see people get ticketed for that stupidity.

More to the point, does Amtrak file financial claims against these trucking firms that cause the accidents? If I hit another car and it's my fault I have to pay. What if I hit a train?

panamaclipper said:
More to the point, does Amtrak file financial claims against these trucking firms that cause the accidents? If I hit another car and it's my fault I have to pay. What if I hit a train?
Well one would think that you would have to pay for the damage. Instead those getting hit typically sue the train company for hitting them. Doesn't seen to matter that they were the idiots. :angry:

There is one exception that I know about in Houston. There they have been collecting from either the driver or the driver's insurance company for all damage done to the light rail vehicle, whenever a driver makes an illegal turn and hits or gets hit by a LRT.

EmpireBuilderFan said:
F40PHR231 said:
Reported P42DC 207 and 116 were involved, ultimately 207 could no longer continue, and 116 operated solo.
Amtrak-P42 will be bummed. His favorite engine was involved. :(
Funny, that was the first thing that ran through my head after I read that post.

After receiving repairs, 207 is now back to regular duty as of a couple days ago. Headed east on the Sunset Limited from Houston.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back