Houston

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The weather in New Orleans is just as hot and humid as Houston. Plus New Orleans is a crime ridden nasty stinking city compared to Houston. Since Katrina it has really gone down hill. The only plus I can give New Orleans is they still run those 1920's era Perley Thomas streetcars on St. Charles Ave. and the Evans Pralines sold at the 848 Decatur store. Houston has better food and better night life and by far better business environment and more jobs. Plus Houston is in Texas, not a 'foreign country'. ;)
Well, New Orleans is still a world class tourist destination, which Houston somehow isn't.

I don't know how the two cities compare crime-wise, but the ghost-town feel which takes over Houston's downtown outside of business hours isn't exactly inspiring. I much prefer party drunks on the street than nobody at all. And I'm saying this despite haveing been pick-pocketed in New Orleans but always having been okay in Houston, despite having gone into shady areas. New Orleans has lots of architectural gems that are being left to rot away slowly as nobody has the money to fix them. Houston used to have lots of architectural gems and had plenty of money to fix them but preferred to level most of them to make parking lots. Houston's light rail line is cool but doesn't measure with New Orleans' streetcars. New Orleans is easier to get to by train as there are three train routes, two of which are daily. Houston has one train route, and that isn't even daily. I actually believe the food and jazz in New Orleans are overstated as much of it is geared up for undiscerning tourists, whereas Houston music and food scene is mostly frequented by discerning locals. However, that is easily offset by all the history in New Orleans which creates the context and backdrop and is absolutely genuine.

No offense to Henry or any other Houstonian, but One of our Members, saxman, is a Native Texan from the Metro Plex Area! He is an Airline Pilot, which gives him Flexibility as to where he Lives! He Flys out of Houston and yet Chose to Live in New Orleans, instead of the Houston Area, when he moved from the Metro Plex! Just saying! <_<

I Like Houston but Wouldn't want to Live There! I Love New Orleans! :wub: (it Is like "A Whole "Nother Country!")

Last edited by a moderator:
We're taking the same trip next week. We've arranged for Enterprise for a pick up at the station. The little station is functional for the short time that you need to be there. My theory is that the Houston oil and gas barons didn't want to be embarrassed by having a metropolitan train station, let alone train service.

Houston is better than New Orleans in a LOT of ways, but I'd say that nightlife in New Orleans is better. Just can't beat the French Quarter. It so much more vibrant than Houston and has more character.

That being said, Houston has a ton to offer and even though it's hot and humid, it is a great city that is on the rise. There is a ton of development in Houston right now and in 10 years time the city will be transformed.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're taking the same trip next week. We've arranged for Enterprise for a pick up at the station. The little station is functional for the short time that you need to be there. My theory is that the Houston oil and gas barons didn't want to be embarrassed by having a metropolitan train station, let alone train service.
Actually the SP built the station to serve it's one remaining train, the Sunset Limited. Lots of discussions went on about the city buying the SP's Grand Central Station and moving all the passenger traffic there from Union Station in the 1960's, but of course nothing came of it and the SP sold the property to the Post Office. Now there has been talk about buying the Post Office building and turning it into an intermodal facility to serve inter-city and commuter trains as well as Greyhound. The Post Office plans to move out of downtown. Then Metro had plans for an intermodal facility on N. Main next to their light rail line. But that has been shelved also. Houston is not known for preserving it's history. We just tear it down and when the need returns rebuild it again. So I don't see anything happening any time soon. I don't think the Houston oil and gas barons even know we have rail service or care about it in the least.

Anyone know if they have lockers in the station in Houston? I was thinking if we did rent a car we could drop our stuff off at the station (in lockers), see whatever we wanted to see, return the car and take a cab back to the station.

Thanks,

Dan

It's not Clear if you are Riding the train TO Houston but if you are: No Lockers and the Station is Small! Also its located Under a Freeway close to Downtown but with Nothing around it, Definitely not Walkable to Anywhere Especially @ Night! IINM you can't "Day Check" Stuff here either so you would have to consider Checking your Large Luggage TO Houston, then Pick it Up when you Return to the Station and also take your Carry On Stuff with you in the Rent Car! Be Sure and Check-out the Pictures on the Walls of the Station from Houston's Hey-Day as a Major Rail Hub!

Several downtown hotels offer van service for rides near downtown. They took use to and from baseball stadium. You can call to verify and ask them about coming to station. Most downtown hotels offer really good rates for Friday and Saturday nights but raise them Sunday thru Thursday, surf the web to see if this is valid for your time. While station is dated and isolated have never had a problem there.

It's not Clear if you are Riding the train TO Houston but if you are: No Lockers and the Station is Small! Also its located Under a Freeway close to Downtown but with Nothing around it, Definitely not Walkable to Anywhere Especially @ Night! IINM you can't "Day Check" Stuff here either so you would have to consider Checking your Large Luggage TO Houston, then Pick it Up when you Return to the Station and also take your Carry On Stuff with you in the Rent Car! Be Sure and Check-out the Pictures on the Walls of the Station from Houston's Hey-Day as a Major Rail Hub!
It wasn't clear. Sorry. Now that I think about it I wasn't even making sense to me. If we do go by train and rent a car, I can just haul the bags around until we return the car. Bring the bags to the station in the cab. ( I was mixing up renting a car and just staying downtown w/o a car. In that case we wouldn't want to haul bags around all day.) Thanks for the info. Sry.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back