How big is the Cardinal?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dn4192

Service Attendant
In Aug I will be taking the cardinal east to Trenton NJ, catching the train in Indianpolis. I was wondering how many people can this train hold and is there a way to find out how often it is sold out, of on average how full the train is. I will be riding in the basic cheapest ticket out and will be the first time and just wondered how full this train is on average.

The Cardinal usually consists of a baggage car, three (four during peak travel seasons) coaches, a diner/lounge, and a sleeping car. This adds up to a capacity of about 210 (270 during peak travel seasons).

Looking at the report for last August, the Cardinal had 8970 passengers.

Since the train ran 26 times that month, there were 5460 seats available end to end. Obviously, those 8970 passengers didn't ride end to end, but the train runs pretty full and sells out (particularly in rooms) pretty often.

3 Amfleet II coaches (59) for 177 seats.

1 Viewliner I sleeper (30) for 30 berths.

Adds up to 207 capacity. Also shows the dire sleeper shortage.

Back in the days when the Cardinal had Superliner equipment, it was pulled with two locomotives. Now, it is pulled with only one. Due to the mountainous sections of WV/VA, if additional cars were to be added to the Cardinal's consist (i.e. to a level comparable with that of the Lake Shore Limited), another locomotive or two would be needed south/west of DC.

Back in the days when the Cardinal had Superliner equipment, it was pulled with two locomotives. Now, it is pulled with only one. Due to the mountainous sections of WV/VA, if additional cars were to be added to the Cardinal's consist (i.e. to a level comparable with that of the Lake Shore Limited), another locomotive or two would be needed south/west of DC.
I don't think they'll get as much as the big LSL! But something like ten total cars should be able to run with two P42DC or overhauled P40DC locomotives. Amtrak has enough locomotives, not enough railcars.

While 30 is the maximum capacity, it is rare that every room is filled to capacity. Add to that the fact that 4 rooms in the sleeper are given over to the crew right now. That reduces the capacity of the sleeper to 22, assuming that the remaining rooms are filled to capacity.

Coach seemed to be full or nearly full on my last Cardinal trip (May 2011). I gathered from the staff that it has (was) nearly sold out pretty often.

Coach seemed to be full or nearly full on my last Cardinal trip (May 2011). I gathered from the staff that it has (was) nearly sold out pretty often.
With all the reports of the Cardinal enjoying heavy ridership, it surprises me when people speculate that the route may be discontinued. With $5 gasoline coming most likely this summer, Amtrak needs more routes not less. While I dislike high gasoline prices this may be exactly the thing that will help give our nations passenger rail system a boost in ridership that the politicians will not be able to ignore.

I am taking it in Aug for a number of reason. One is to experience it and see what it is like. Second is while time wise longer, it is cheaper then either driving out or flying out to NJ. My trip is in early Aug, I am looking at getting my ticket within the next month and just hopeing it doesn't sell out or we lose another bridge like we did last year foiling my attempt to train out to NJ last year.

is there a way to find out how often it is sold out, of on average how full the train is.
The best tool that I know of to answer this question is Amsnag. It allows you to view fares in all classes of service in 30-day windows, which gives you an idea of how full the train is (prices go up as the train fills up), and how often a given class of service is sold out.

I am taking it in Aug for a number of reason. One is to experience it and see what it is like. Second is while time wise longer, it is cheaper then either driving out or flying out to NJ. My trip is in early Aug, I am looking at getting my ticket within the next month and just hopeing it doesn't sell out or we lose another bridge like we did last year foiling my attempt to train out to NJ last year.
If your dates are somewhat decided, I'd recommend go ahead and purchase the ticket right away instead of waiting a month, just don't have them mailed to you or print them out at the station already. As long as you have not printed the tickets at the station, you can cancel or modify your reservation at no penalty. So instead of worrying whether the train will sell out in a month, just reserve your seats, and then if your plans change, cancel it and get all your money back.

If your dates are somewhat decided, I'd recommend go ahead and purchase the ticket right away instead of waiting a month, just don't have them mailed to you or print them out at the station already. As long as you have not printed the tickets at the station, you can cancel or modify your reservation at no penalty. So instead of worrying whether the train will sell out in a month, just reserve your seats, and then if your plans change, cancel it and get all your money back.
If you buy your ticket on line you just don't print it out like you do with an airline ticket? If not then how do I get the ticket? I saw on line where they would "mail" it to you for $15 but I don't trust the mail. If I go ahead and buy the ticket exactly "how" do you get the ticket?

If you buy your ticket on line you just don't print it out like you do with an airline ticket? If not then how do I get the ticket? I saw on line where they would "mail" it to you for $15 but I don't trust the mail. If I go ahead and buy the ticket exactly "how" do you get the ticket?
Amtrak ticketing, as it stands today, works differently than airline tickets. When you buy your Amtrak ticket, say for example, for the Cardinal of August 1st, you can simply go the website, pay for the journey and reserve your seat/room. At this point you get a receipt which is NOT a ticket. It simply means that the seat is now yours. On the day of travel (or earlier if you want), you go to the station and either at a manned ticket counter or at a QuikTrac machine, you scan your receipt (or swipe the credit card you used to buy the ticket) and that gives you your real paper ticket that lets you board the train. So, if you have paid for your journey online but not printed out the paper ticket yet, you are allowed to cancel your journey and get a 100% refund.

In most cases you can cancel your reservation for a full refund anytime before the train's scheduled departure time, as long as your "boarding passes" haven't been printed yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak ticketing, as it stands today, works differently than airline tickets. When you buy your Amtrak ticket, say for example, for the Cardinal of August 1st, you can simply go the website, pay for the journey and reserve your seat/room. At this point you get a receipt which is NOT a ticket. It simply means that the seat is now yours. On the day of travel (or earlier if you want), you go to the station and either at a manned ticket counter or at a QuikTrac machine, you scan your receipt (or swipe the credit card you used to buy the ticket) and that gives you your real paper ticket that lets you board the train. So, if you have paid for your journey online but not printed out the paper ticket yet, you are allowed to cancel your journey and get a 100% refund.
Interesting, thanks for the info, I will be getting that ticket soon and all this information has really helped...Now I just hope the cardinal improves it's times better then what I have been seeing over the past couple of weeks I have been tracking it...been on average any where from 1.5-2.5 hours late...

When I rode the Cardinal in October, it was very full in coach, and that was with a fourth coach added! I recall being asked to "make sure we have every empty seat available" at least once. As I recall, a large school group from IND and a large amount of Greenbrier guests were the reason for this.

Also, with regards to train length and number of locomotives, the Cardinal did operate with a sole P42 in the Superliner era on occasion (as seen here), and when I rode this route the single P42 had no trouble with our added Amfleet II plus a private car from Huntington to NYP (and it also had no trouble with our consist plus the two Hoosier State coaches on the CHI-IND segment).

Also, with regards to train length and number of locomotives, the Cardinal did operate with a sole P42 in the Superliner era on occasion (as seen here),\
Agreed. I rode the Cardinal during the Superliner era and spent some time at the front window by the Bedroom end of the car looking out over the single engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back