How connected are you when you travel long distance?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why this was as it's a UK phone which means that I should be able to get on to any available network with roaming. Other people on the train had no problem getting a signal with certain networks but I just couldn't pick any up! I also went online a bit with the phone when I could get a signal
Your UK phone is likely GSM, which is far more rare here in the states (AT&T and T-Mobile are the only two providers). CDMA is far, far more prevalent here.

Yes it's GSM - didn't realise that the US mostly used a different system, I thought that the world was trying to align all communications stuff so we'd all be compatable! I guess that means that a lot of US people visiting here won't be able to use their phone - or tons of other countries for that matter :S

I too use my PC a lot at work, so when I travel, I travel light: just my cell phone (because Hotel phone service is astronomical) and my camera...but I am a true luddite there, as I use my trusty 35mm camera rather than a digital. Depending upon the trip, and my reading list, some books and/or magazines might also make the journey. ;)

Yes it's GSM - didn't realise that the US mostly used a different system, I thought that the world was trying to align all communications stuff so we'd all be compatable! I guess that means that a lot of US people visiting here won't be able to use their phone - or tons of other countries for that matter :S
You're right, the world is trying to align all communications stuff (to GSM) ... just like the world is trying to align measurement stuff (to metric) and environmental standards (to Kyoto), etc. Note that one large country is a glaring exception to each of these!

You're right, the world is trying to align all communications stuff (to GSM) ... just like the world is trying to align measurement stuff (to metric) and environmental standards (to Kyoto), etc. Note that one large country is a glaring exception to each of these!
In the UK we don't like metric either - and we finally got official permission a few weeks ago from the EU to keep buying our bananas in pounds and our beer in pints. Yay!!!! :D :D

In the UK we don't like metric either - and we finally got official permission a few weeks ago from the EU to keep buying our bananas in pounds and our beer in pints. Yay!!!! :D :D
Good, I agree with that policy 100/100!

Nearly all of my AMTRAK travel is on overnight trains and I book a room whenever possible. I tend to take quite few gadgets along but I'll leave them in my room when I wander down to the diner, lounge, or observation cars. Well, except I always take my digital camera. That being said, here is my list.

Digital Camera which doubles as a Digital Video Camcorder

Laptop with headphones & GPS receiver for music listening, video watching, location tracking and letter writing

Cellular Phone

Scanner

I do, however, tend to spend more time in the observation car than anywhere else.

Back