How do refunds work?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faraz

Train Attendant
Sometimes I am able to cancel my online reservations and get a full refund, other times it says I have to call an agent. Also, if I already have my unused tickets, can I exchange them after the date for a different ticket of equal or lesser value?

Sometimes I am able to cancel my online reservations and get a full refund, other times it says I have to call an agent. Also, if I already have my unused tickets, can I exchange them after the date for a different ticket of equal or lesser value?
I made a reservation and picked up my tickets for a trip, but two weeks later I decided to move the dates back a few days. I called up Amtrak (1-800-USA-RAIL) and was able to switch the dates at no charge. All I did was take the tickets to the train staton and exhanged them for new ones (I even had the same reservation number). It was a very hassle-free experience!

A lot depends on how you booked the tickets in the first place. First, you can only cancel online, if you originally booked online. If you booked via an agent or by phone, then you won't be able to cancel online.

Second, you cannot have used any special discount codes that might not allow refunds.

Third, once you've picked up the tickets, you will no longer be able to cancel online.

As for tickets that you are already holding and the train has already left the station, as it were, here's how things work.

First, of course you must not have used any code that prohibits refunds.

Second, if you had purchased accomodations, then you have lost that money unless you cancelled within the time limits.

Third, the date on the ticket must be within one year of today's date.

Assuming that the above is true, then you have two options. One, a refund minus 10% of the face value. Or two, full value towards another ticket of any price or a voucher good for one year from the date of issue.

Thanks, that makes sense now. The refund policy is very generous, hopefully it doesn't encourage people to abuse it...

Thanks, that makes sense now. The refund policy is very generous, hopefully it doesn't encourage people to abuse it...
It is probably one of the most generous policies, if not the most, out there in the travel industry.

...if you had purchased accomodations, then you have lost that money unless you cancelled within the time limits.
One exception to that rule is for late trains. If the train left your departure station more than two hours late, then you can get a refund of the accommodation charge even if the reservation is cancelled at the last minute.

...if you had purchased accomodations, then you have lost that money unless you cancelled within the time limits.
One exception to that rule is for late trains. If the train left your departure station more than two hours late, then you can get a refund of the accommodation charge even if the reservation is cancelled at the last minute.
It's surprising that the Sunset has anybody in the sleepers on it with a policy like this. Sure is nice to know there are still people who would rather ride the train and worry about when they get where they are going when they finally arrive. We sat on the runway in Atlanta for 2 1/2 hours last week because there were thunderstorms north of the airport. We were going west but they would not let us take off although planes were going south and east all around us. Must have been an ex-UP dispatcher in the control tower...

A couple other refund "nuggets."

During the Spring, a friend and I had planned to fly to Cleveland to watch a Baseball game before taking the 2:15am Capitol (with Roomette) back to Was/Bal. However, the weather in April was anything but springlike. When we called to cancel the day before the trip, I all but expected that the roomette charge would be issued as a voucher. However, since the roomette would be boarded and alighted on the same calendar day, I was able to get a full refund.

Another friend and I had planned to go to DC this Tuesday, and instead of taking MARC, I decided to go AMTK using code V714 (half off companion). However, when I realized I'd be better off going Wednesday, I had no problem cancelling online. Thus, it appears V714 code allows refunds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back