How do you pack so much?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie_Roz

Train Attendant
Our LD trip will be for 2 weeks and actual onboard Amtrak time is about 5 or 6 of those days. So I did a test packing and manage to get all my clothes into one bag, that will go on the luggage rack on the lower level of the train. It's the carry-on bag that I'll keep over the coach seats that is the concern. After I toss in the blanket, sweater, one change of clothes, toiletry bag, electronics chargers, and odds and ends, there is little precious room for any snacks, bottled water, juice bottles, lysol wipes, etc. Where in the world do you put all the stuff I read on the forum that you are taking along? And I haven't even figured out where any of the electronics and camera gear will go!

Wahhhh, traveling by car is so much easier to plan.

I only carry about half of the items that you list.

I don't bring very much food, no drinls, no lysol, etc. Everything I have charges off of USB, which charges off my laptop.

I do think it is easier for males to travel light than females.

I usually on a two night trip pack:

2. Electronic book
  3. toietries (including a roll of toilet paper)
  4. one pair of jeans
  5. one pair of shorts (warm weather trips)
  6. 4 pairs unmentionables :blush:
  7. 3 pairs socks
  8. sleepwear
  9. sneekers
  10. 3 shirts with a collar
  11. a few other assorted niceties such as not book, suduko etc etc

I must say, learn the art of rolling. I roll all pants together, all shirts together and they fit nicely and usually dont wrinkle too bad.

C'mon Granny, Haven't you ever heard Dora sing "backpack, backpack" :lol:
Sure I have and it is highly likely that the backpack is where all the electronics and camera will go (oh, my aching back!) LOL

Oh, which reminds me....that backpack is destined to never leave my side, for obvious reasons. Is there room under the footrest of the coach seats to store a backpack when I'm sleeping? Between the lower edge of the footrest and the seat in front of me? Or should I just plan to clutch it in my grubby little hands all night long? :)

I must say, learn the art of rolling. I roll all pants together, all shirts together and they fit nicely and usually dont wrinkle too bad.
This part isn't an issue as all the clothing (thanks for the tip about rolling, though) fits nicely into the luggage that will go on the rack and not be accessed until we get to our destination. Primary concern is the carry-on.

My Kit is almost all travel size containers, which take up a lot less room than standard "house size" ones. And tightly rolling your clothes does save a lot of room as well; I actually learned that trick several years ago from an Amtrak brochure.

Sure I have and it is highly likely that the backpack is where all the electronics and camera will go (oh, my aching back!) LOL

Oh, which reminds me....that backpack is destined to never leave my side, for obvious reasons. Is there room under the footrest of the coach seats to store a backpack when I'm sleeping? Between the lower edge of the footrest and the seat in front of me? Or should I just plan to clutch it in my grubby little hands all night long? :)
Egad!

Watch fewer lurid stories on TV and you won't worry so much. If the pack is in the overhead above you, you have little, if anything to fear. Virtually all the people around you are honest and if they see anything happening or if anyone in the car heading to the bathroom sees someone leaning over your seat to steal something, they will let you know.

If you are really worried, put the opening to the wall to make it more difficult to open surreptitiously and put the strap around the overhead bars so someone can't just grab it and pull it away w/o making noise.

In coach, I often put our two bags in the areas at the end of the car even when out of site. Then I face the openings towards each other and lock the straps together with a chain lock designed for guns (shorter than bicycle lock). Do you know what a hassle it is to try and steal something from such a setup, how difficult it is to walk off with it when locked, and how noticeable you would be?

Yes once it is extented there is enough room. If you want to play it really safe take along some 6" zip ties and strap it to the legrest( i think it can be done) just be sure to have some clippers in your pocket to cut it loose with :blink: I always use them on my zippers on the bags I store on the luggage rack. It gives me peace of mind and helps keep people honest unless they just take the whole bag. which I check periodically thru-out our trips

Egad!

Watch fewer lurid stories on TV and you won't worry so much. If the pack is in the overhead above you, you have little, if anything to fear. Virtually all the people around you are honest and if they see anything happening or if anyone in the car heading to the bathroom sees someone leaning over your seat to steal something, they will let you know.

If you are really worried, put the opening to the wall to make it more difficult to open surreptitiously and put the strap around the overhead bars so someone can't just grab it and pull it away w/o making noise.

In coach, I often put our two bags in the areas at the end of the car even when out of site. Then I face the openings towards each other and lock the straps together with a chain lock designed for guns (shorter than bicycle lock). Do you know what a hassle it is to try and steal something from such a setup, how difficult it is to walk off with it when locked, and how noticeable you would be?
Wow, you're paranoid (alternately, I could be overly trusting). I've never bothered to lock anything or take any sort of precuations with my stuff while travelling in coach. I normally just throw what fits down by my seat (laptop, a backpack with books/light food) and stuff the rest above, and just leave it there. I normally even leave my laptop there too, maybe throw a sweater or something over it if I remember. Never had any problems.

On the subject of packing, check out OneBag.com, a site dedicated to the art of traveling light. The site author's thesis is that it's possible to travel essentially anywhere, for any length of time, out of a single carry-on-sized bag, and that doing so will, in fact, improve your vacation substantially.

Remember that you don't need to pack 2 weeks' worth of clothing. The U.S. is amply supplied with self-serve laundromats, and you can even hand-wash your clothing if necessary with relatively little difficulty. No more than 3 changes of clothes should be enough- and do you really need to pack a full change of clothes in your smaller carry-on? The changing rooms are downstairs anyway, so it shouldn't be too difficult to grab a change of clothes from your bag on the luggage rack when going to change.

Egad!

It's a funny thing, this "growing older" business. You have less money and more worries, so losing something seems to mean more than it did when I was younger. Things can't be as easily replaced once you are on a fixed income. So it isn't so much lurid tv shows that are the root cause. :)

On the subject of packing, check out OneBag.com, a site dedicated to the art of traveling light. The site author's thesis is that it's possible to travel essentially anywhere, for any length of time, out of a single carry-on-sized bag, and that doing so will, in fact, improve your vacation substantially.

Remember that you don't need to pack 2 weeks' worth of clothing. The U.S. is amply supplied with self-serve laundromats, and you can even hand-wash your clothing if necessary with relatively little difficulty. No more than 3 changes of clothes should be enough- and do you really need to pack a full change of clothes in your smaller carry-on? The changing rooms are downstairs anyway, so it shouldn't be too difficult to grab a change of clothes from your bag on the luggage rack when going to change.
This is going to be one of those trips where nearly every moment is scheduled and there's only one day where doing laundry could be fit in. Unfortunately, that day is just before we get on the train headed back home. That'll save us on 3 days worth of clothes, anyway.

Yes once it is extented there is enough room. If you want to play it really safe take along some 6" zip ties and strap it to the legrest( i think it can be done) just be sure to have some clippers in your pocket to cut it loose with :blink: I always use them on my zippers on the bags I store on the luggage rack. It gives me peace of mind and helps keep people honest unless they just take the whole bag. which I check periodically thru-out our trips

Zip ties -- now that's a nifty idea. I've got a ton of those around here, so I wouldn't even have to buy any. I'd just have to remember not to store the clippers in one of the bags I zip tie! Ha ha.

Hi,

My son and I are on an extended tour, and are just using airline size carry on roller cases, and an expanding laptop bag each. The roller case is expanded, and the laptop shoulder case is roomy, but we are travelling for about six to eight weeks.

We find Amtrak very relaxed about carry on luggage, and most folk bring extra plasic bags containing food, etc.

It's all down to what you can carry yourself.

Yesterday we sat in Washington waiting for our train to Florida, and there were lots of announcements about "Carry on luggage must be labled... Get your lables at the Amtrak desk..." The guy there had run out and said it didn't matter anyway, no one would be checking.

There is lots of room on the overhead racks, far more than on a plane, we put all our bags up there, and also those plastic ones with the food, etc.

Ed :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The U.S. is amply supplied with self-serve laundromats, and you can even hand-wash your clothing if necessary with relatively little difficulty.
This is going to be one of those trips where nearly every moment is scheduled and there's only one day where doing laundry could be fit in. Unfortunately, that day is just before we get on the train headed back home.
I hand wash my clothes as mentioned above, but I suppose if nearly every single moment of your entire trip is already planned down to each individual breath then I can't really offer much advice that doesn't break the laws of quantum theory, or even Newtonian physics for that matter. :cool:

We find Amtrak very relaxed about carry on luggage, and most folk bring extra plasic bags containing food, etc.

It's all down to what you can carry yourself.

Ed :cool:
Ah, so that's the secret....actual real bags are used to hold the food stuff, not necessarily luggage. Thanks, now I've got a clue. <-- self-deprecating humor is sometimes necessary when cluelessness is globally apparent. :blush:

The U.S. is amply supplied with self-serve laundromats, and you can even hand-wash your clothing if necessary with relatively little difficulty.
This is going to be one of those trips where nearly every moment is scheduled and there's only one day where doing laundry could be fit in. Unfortunately, that day is just before we get on the train headed back home.
I hand wash my clothes as mentioned above, but I suppose if nearly every single moment of your entire trip is already planned down to each individual breath then I can't really offer much advice that doesn't break the laws of quantum theory, or even Newtonian physics for that matter. :cool:
And who am I to alter the time-space continuium (except for the spelling of it, of course)? Besides, individual breaths are quite precious and not something to be wasted on laundry when on vacation. :D

However, if your reply was snarky, rather than humorous, we wasted many keystrokes between us, didn't we. :hi:

This is going to be one of those trips where nearly every moment is scheduled and there's only one day where doing laundry could be fit in. Unfortunately, that day is just before we get on the train headed back home. That'll save us on 3 days worth of clothes, anyway.
Many cities offer Fluff & Fold service, where you can just drop off your laundry and pick it up the next day all clean and folded and ready to go. Hotels offer the same, but at hugely insane prices, so find a local laundrymat or dry cleaners that offers said service.

Two years ago in LA I think my mom and I got ours done for under $20 and that was a weeks worth of clothing each!

I do think it is easier for males to travel light than females.

I usually on a two night trip pack:

[*]toietries (including a roll of toilet paper)

I not sure you should be using regular toilet paper since it can clog up the system since the toilets are not like a regular home toilet....??

Egad!

Wow, you're paranoid (alternately, I could be overly trusting). I've never bothered to lock anything or take any sort of precuations with my stuff while travelling in coach. I normally just throw what fits down by my seat (laptop, a backpack with books/light food) and stuff the rest above, and just leave it there. I normally even leave my laptop there too, maybe throw a sweater or something over it if I remember. Never had any problems.
If the stuff is anywhere within view, I NEVER worry about it even if it has my computer or CPAP in it. The comment was for 'eagle628 who was worried.

Actually, I have never locked bags that are stored out of sight at the ends of cars to the racks or to each other in the US. I have done it in a few of our many trips to Europe. Losing one's bags there is much more of a hassle than here as I can always call a relative or friend for help.

Our LD trip will be for 2 weeks and actual onboard Amtrak time is about 5 or 6 of those days. So I did a test packing and manage to get all my clothes into one bag, that will go on the luggage rack on the lower level of the train. It's the carry-on bag that I'll keep over the coach seats that is the concern. After I toss in the blanket, sweater, one change of clothes, toiletry bag, electronics chargers, and odds and ends, there is little precious room for any snacks, bottled water, juice bottles, lysol wipes, etc. Where in the world do you put all the stuff I read on the forum that you are taking along? And I haven't even figured out where any of the electronics and camera gear will go!

Wahhhh, traveling by car is so much easier to plan.
Grannie... We use the TRAVEL SPACE BAGS...usually you can find these at your local Wal-Mart. Since we ride motorcycles, I found I can pack 2-3 days of clothing for both of us into the space bags and place them in the saddlebags and T-bag on the bike. These bags don't require a vacuum to remove the air...simply pack and ROLL ... I plan to do the same for our upcoming trip in 2 weeks from Fayetteville NC to San Diego CA. Hope that helps. :D

Try those travel space bags. They do work and save a lot of space especially if you're packing things like sweaters and blankets. Won't save you much space on things like jeans though so leave those out. Just make sure you get the ones that are specifically for travel and don't need a vacuum to properly"deflate" them.

As for the locking, I've seen tons of people lock their bags to the rack with a bicycle chain. It's actually not a bad idea if you're worried about theft but I've never really felt the need...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back