How is tipping done in a cash-less Amtrak world?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever I pay for a meal with the credit card, I always leave cash for a tip (assuming I have the right bills on hand) since that goes immediately to the server without any credit card penalty vigorish taken out. Happy server = superior service next time in.

I tip on credit cards when I can in order to maximize points. I’ve never heard of any servers who give better service to return customers who tip with cash vs. credit card. If a server is that petty than they will most likely be annoyed with me for some other silly reason anyways.

I tip on credit cards when I can in order to maximize points. I’ve never heard of any servers who give better service to return customers who tip with cash vs. credit card. If a server is that petty than they will most likely be annoyed with me for some other silly reason anyways.
Everyone should get the same standard of service, regardless of how or how much they tip.

What you might get, though, is a nice smile and the joy of making someone happy.

Having worked for tips when I was in college, I can fairly safely say, that isn’t how it works. Stiffs (people that tip tip less than 15%) get the base level of care. Known tippers were treated like gold, and servers would tip off their friends when they saw one seated. The hostess usually gave you a heads up when she got hit as well. If there are freebies or comps to be had, the tippers get them more often than not. And we tended to remember their names, and greeted them by name when we saw them. The good ones remembered us by name, too.
Everyone should get the same standard of service, regardless of how or how much they tip.
What you might get, though, is a nice smile and the joy of making someone happy.

Having worked for tips when I was in college, I can fairly safely say, that isn’t how it works. Stiffs (people that tip tip less than 15%) get the base level of care. Known tippers were treated like gold, and servers would tip off their friends when they saw one seated. The hostess usually gave you a heads up when she got hit as well. If there are freebies or comps to be had, the tippers get them more often than not. And we tended to remember their names, and greeted them by name when we saw them. The good ones remembered us by name, too.

But did you provide better or worse service if they tipped cash vs. credit card.

As a waiter cash was cool (though rare) but not that much better than on a credit card, but my restaurants all gave servers full value from credit card tips. Some don't, which may be illegal but I have heard of more than a few that dock the tips.
The card tip removed any temptation to short the busboy, though. LOL!
I only waited tables when the hotel was jammed. I spent more time as a bellman or a doorman, and did so at nicer hotels. I worked at 4 different hotels, each one a bit nicer than the one before. Almost all bell staff tips were cash. And in the real world, that is all pretty much untaxed. Tough to qualify for a mortgage when 75%+ of your income is undeclared, as I found out.
Bottom line is that in all 3 positions we took pride in being good at what we did and we wanted to do a good job for everyone. But we worked harder to excel for people we knew would tip well and we tried to get them freebies when we could.
YMMV.
But did you provide better or worse service if they tipped cash vs. credit card.

Another former waiter here (1999 timeframe), although only short-term. The restaurant (local chain) which I worked in did not deduct the charge fee from credit card tips...BUT, they charged me a commission (2% in training, raised to 3.2% after the first few weeks) on all of my sales! They used this as a "tip pool" so that they didn't have to pay full wages to the busboys and kitchen staff. So, yes, if someone came in and ran up a $50 tab, and didn't leave a tip, it cost me a dollar-sixty out of my own pocket for the privilege of serving that customer. The restaurant was supposed to chip in extra if I didn't earn at least the legal minimum wage, but they never did. I suppose I could have pitched a fit and filed a complaint with the labor board, but I was working my tail off waiting tables (plus doing the extra hour or two of kitchen/back of house labor which the restaurant demanded every day at $2/hr); I didn't have the time to be an unpaid bookkeeper.

Bottom line is that in all 3 positions we took pride in being good at what we did and we wanted to do a good job for everyone. But we worked harder to excel for people we knew would tip well and we tried to get them freebies when we could.

Oh for sure! Amtrak servers certainly remember who tips and who doesn’t.

... I suppose I could have pitched a fit and filed a complaint with the labor board, but I was working my tail off waiting tables (plus doing the extra hour or two of kitchen/back of house labor which the restaurant demanded every day at $2/hr); I didn't have the time to be an unpaid bookkeeper.
Non-tipped labor at 1/4 the minimum wage? I'm certain this is illegal.

Paying any employee below minimum wage should be illegal but here we are.
The legal minimum wage for tipped employees (such as waiters) is much lower than the minimum for non-tipped employees, but this case has a tipped employee doing work for which they could not possibly receive tips but being paid at the tipped rate. I doubt they've discovered a legal, though reprehensible, loophole, and are just simply stealing their employees' earned wages.

I suspect we are going to a cashless economy sooner than later.
The ability to skim up to 5% of standard purchases, 10% of restricted purchases, and 20% of government services as a middleman is just too appealing. If anyone misses a single monthly payment now they owe you loan shark level interest rates on all debt. Merchant account shell games make card related fees invisible to most consumers and even those who know better can be convinced to look the other way with airline and hotel points.

Last edited:
Non-tipped labor at 1/4 the minimum wage? I'm certain this is illegal.
Their position is that we ought to be able to make it up and average minimum wage with the tips we earned when we were waiting tables. So they had us do chores in back such as refilling ketchup bottles, preparing portions of butter, sour cream, etc. for the baked potatoes, receiving deliveries and putting them away in the cooler, and so forth. Also cleaning up after closing time. And it was all done at the tipped employee rate.

Their position is that we ought to be able to make it up and average minimum wage with the tips we earned when we were waiting tables. So they had us do chores in back such as refilling ketchup bottles, preparing portions of butter, sour cream, etc. for the baked potatoes, receiving deliveries and putting them away in the cooler, and so forth. Also cleaning up after closing time. And it was all done at the tipped employee rate.
That's where staff gets screwed by management. Dump the tips and paying a wage is the only solution. IMHO, it wouldn't hurt the restaurants as they can raise their prices to cover the cost, simplify their accounting, and, since everyone would have to do it, not cause them to lose business to competitors.

Edit:
I loved it on the Alaska ferry. At each table was a sign that said staff were government employees and were prohibited from accepting tips.

That's what Amtrak should do. Pay their onboard staff more and prohibit tipping along with requiring AND ENFORCING standards of service. An alternative is the tipping done on cruise ships. Tips are added to the bill (but could be modified) and are shared. If Amtrak chose this method, sharing should be between the specific car attendant (not between all of them) and the dining staff.

Last edited:
That's where staff gets screwed by management. Dump the tips and paying a wage is the only solution.
I much prefer the system in many countries where you pay a fair price for your meal and the server gets paid a fair wage without having to rely on tips. Some of the best service I have had has been in countries with no tipping (I'm looking at you, Japan.)

However, it's often the servers that object to an increase in their minimum wage: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...inimum-wage-restaurant-workers-didnt-want-it/

I haven't been on the train in some time. What is the average tip for each meal in the dining car now? Or for the cabin steward if delivered to my roomette? I know the delivery to roomette will be more work. I want to make sure they get a decent tip, if the service justifies it.

This is slightly off topic. but, the other day while thinking about how long it's been since I've enjoyed the services of anyone for any reason that requires a tip, how much money I have saved. It jumbled my mind when I tried to calculate the amount.

That's what Amtrak should do. Pay their onboard staff more and prohibit tipping

Well Amtrak does 1/2 of that...

I haven't been on the train in some time. What is the average tip for each meal in the dining car now? Or for the cabin steward if delivered to my roomette? I know the delivery to roomette will be more work. I want to make sure they get a decent tip, if the service justifies it.

Same as always. Tip as you like. Everyone is paid well.

I’m not going to tip an LSA for handing me a yogurt from behind a counter.

I tipped my SCA $20 on the Meteor. A single overnight I’d usually tip $10. She took my orders, brought me my dinner etc.

This is slightly off topic. but, the other day while thinking about how long it's been since I've enjoyed the services of anyone for any reason that requires a tip, how much money I have saved. It jumbled my mind when I tried to calculate the amount.

That’s Very true... I’m saving $5 a week on coffee shop tips alone. I’d always tip a $1 at my local coffee shop. Now I’m making my coffee at home... I would tip myself but I can’t stand the attitude :p

Yesterday I made an order from a takeout-only taco shop. My wife and I got four tacos, one margarita, and one side of guacamole. With tax, the order came to $47. My jaw hit the floor. To add insult to injury, the person asked over the phone if I would like to add a tip. I politely declined. I am almost always a generous tipper, but I do not believe in tipping at at counter service restaurants - especially when they are charging those prices.

That’s Very true... I’m saving $5 a week on coffee shop tips alone. I’d always tip a $1 at my local coffee shop. Now I’m making my coffee at home... I would tip myself but I can’t stand the attitude :p
I agree wholeheartedly. I wouldn't tip you either! Your coffee is terrible and when I broke into your place the other day to get a cup, the place was a mess. You want a tip? Unlock your doors; keep your place clean; make better coffee and keep it hot. :)

I generally use the 2-3-5 rule of thumb... $2 for Breakfast, $3 for Lunch and $5 for Dinner. As Bob Dylan here would say YMMV.

I agree wholeheartedly. I wouldn't tip you either! Your coffee is terrible and when I broke into your place the other day to get a cup, the place was a mess. You want a tip? Unlock your doors; keep your place clean; make better coffee and keep it hot. :)

Insult me and my messy house... but insult the quality of my coffee and you have crossed the line!!!!! Haha.

I generally use the 2-3-5 rule of thumb... $2 for Breakfast, $3 for Lunch and $5 for Dinner. As Bob Dylan here would say YMMV.

Thanks, that's a good rule to go by. And I do tip well to the cabin steward for his hard work in the car and my roomette at the end of the trip. I especially will now with covid and if the restrooms will be '' well '' taken care of and sanitized.

An alternative is the tipping done on cruise ships. Tips are added to the bill (but could be modified) and are shared. If Amtrak chose this method, sharing should be between the specific car attendant (not between all of them) and the dining staff.

On cruise ships, if you take the daily gratuity charge on your bill and divide it among those that receive a portion of that gratuity, the amount each receives has to be a very small amount. That's why, if the service warrants it as it usually does, I will give those service staff who deserve it an additional amount on top of the daily service charge.

Back