How long does it take to swap engines in WAS?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It can be done in as little as 5. In Israel they use trains, tested here as the Flexliner, that can couple and uncouple in motion.

It can be done in as little as 5. In Israel they use trains, tested here as the Flexliner, that can couple and uncouple in motion.
I think the IC3's are a rare sight these days. As far as I could tell most of the system now uses Bombardier double-deck cars in diesel push-pull sets, soon to be converted to electric push-pulls. There are also some trains that use the Siemens Viaggio Light train sets that they acquired in 2007 or so.
Just got back from there yesterday. At least on the Tel Aviv - Ben Gurion - Modiin, and the Tel Aviv - Lod - Jerusalem main line there were no IC3's to be seen. Six months back when I was there I traveled north and did not see a single IC3 on the Tel Aviv - Haifa - Nahariya. May be they are lurking in the south by Beer Sheba, Dimona or Ashkalon or some such. Maybe they do come occasionally to Tel Aviv and I missed them.

10 minutes is enough time to switch engines safely... if there are enough staff members and they're coordinated. (I'm guessing DC may be pretty heavily staffed for this stuff.) Seriously, we use Janney couplers for a reason. It isn't as if people are dealing with link-and-pin or walking each car to set and unset handbrake wheels.

Dutch, you know damned well nobody is ever fully in compliance. There's a reason the railroad euphemism for a work stoppage is 'working the rule book'.

Based on your times, I'm guessing you were probably on 90, which means just one engine. Knock the HEP down on arrival, pull some cables, whack off the engine, get the switch right for the electric to back on, hook em up, brake test, good to go.

I think the IC3's are a rare sight these days. As far as I could tell most of the system now uses Bombardier double-deck cars in diesel push-pull sets, soon to be converted to electric push-pulls. There are also some trains that use the Siemens Viaggio Light train sets that they acquired in 2007 or so.
Just got back from there yesterday. At least on the Tel Aviv - Ben Gurion - Modiin, and the Tel Aviv - Lod - Jerusalem main line there were no IC3's to be seen. Six months back when I was there I traveled north and did not see a single IC3 on the Tel Aviv - Haifa - Nahariya. May be they are lurking in the south by Beer Sheba, Dimona or Ashkalon or some such. Maybe they do come occasionally to Tel Aviv and I missed them.
Most of the IC3's (if not all of them, I don't know) were phased out by the Israeli railways and were sold back to Denmark, where DSB (the state railways) have been pretty desperately short on capacity (try to google IC4 scandal).

Trains with the "click-on" coupling is not in production any more and will not meet new EU standards for new trains delivered after 2017, as far as I know. Too bad as it's a well working and flexible system. (and Bombardier has recently announced that they are closing the remains of their factory/repair facility in the town of Randers, where the flexliners were produced)

At the same time though, in NHV you can stage power just on the other side of the train. In WAS when you're going south the diesels have to wait for the electric to clear before they can enter the tunnel to back on to the train due to the tunnel. When you're cutting off the diesels northbound the switches are way north of where they stop the train and you've got a complex interlocking to make your way through to get to the station tracks. For doing power changes NHVs design is much more advantageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back