How many Business Class seats are on the Palmetto?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrdude

Engineer
We have a group going, at least six traveling from SAV to BAL end of April, and wondered what the total number of seats are in the "normal" biz class seating on the Palmetto. Is it 2-1 seating, with the cafe in the middle of the car?

Thanks!

No, it is the full business class car if I am not mistaken...
That's what I seem to recall when passing by it in Newark, NJ on 190 regularly. If that's the case, then it's 60 seats.

It's almost too bad that the call times are so bad on the Silver Star in Savannah. For only an extra $22 per person (over the Business Class on the Palmetto) you could get three roomettes.

And wouldn't my son LOVE that, since we are bringing his girlfriend down for his Boot Camp graduation from P.I. But you are correct sir, the call times suck like eggs on ice.

Honestly if I were you I wouldn't use business class on that train. It's a sixty seater 2-2 business class coach like Triely said. And that train runs with Amfleet II coaches which have less seats, leg rests, bigger windows, and it's cheeper. And for a long your guaranteed a ride in the Amfleet II. I would go with the Silver Meteor if money is no object and get sleepers. Or the Star even though it has horrible calling times it gets you home sooner, and I find the scenery better in the Carolina's.

Money IS an object in this case, so is the schedule. My son graduates, (God willing) on the morning of April 29th.

The Star roomette is only a bit more than Biz class, but no way am I boarding at O' Dark Thirty.

The Meteor would actually be better, schedule-wise, but we'd HAVE to go sleeper, and that's where $$$ becomes an issue. ($1,776 vs. ~$550 for Biz)

So, it's a day trip, we can travel coach ('er, "Business Class") and we'll just wing it. Prolly a real waste of money on Biz Class, since the AmCans II are 60 seaters, but we'll see. Gee, maybe we'll get to board 1st. Do they have Red Caps at Savannah? hahahahahhaaha

Honestly if I were you I wouldn't use business class on that train. It's a sixty seater 2-2 business class coach like Triely said. And that train runs with Amfleet II coaches which have less seats, leg rests, bigger windows, and it's cheeper. And for a long your guaranteed a ride in the Amfleet II. I would go with the Silver Meteor if money is no object and get sleepers. Or the Star even though it has horrible calling times it gets you home sooner, and I find the scenery better in the Carolina's.
I have to disagree, at least in regards to northbound trips on Saturdays in mid April, which I've done 3 times in the last 4 years. I can't believe the crowds boarding in Charleston, Florence, and Fayetteville. In short, they pack 'em in coach like sardines. On the other hand, my BC car was nice and quiet, and I had both seats to myself all the way to Baltimore.

They do need to stock the cafe car better, but I have found a good Winn Dixie store near my motel In Savannah, so lunch is not a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record, it is car with 60 leather seats, positioned next to the cafe.

The coaches on Palmetto are not all Amfleet II, unless they have replaced the one Amfleet I. If you are not doing a really long sector, you get stuck in the Amfleet I. I learned the hard way, traveling from Sav to Fay. After the first time, I booked Business going up and took coach back. Coming back from Fay, more people getting off than on, so you can sit anywhere. CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back