how many days do I need spend in Florida for Auto Train to make sense

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToniCounter

Service Attendant
how many days do I need spend in Florida for Auto Train to make financial sense?

The last time I took the Auto Train was the early 1990s. I rented a new Lincon Town Car with 7 miles on the odometer from Hertz at Newark Airport. I was on vacation and I drove to DC. After a few days, I took the Auto Train and went to Orlando. Can't remember how much I paid to have the rental car travel on the Auto Train. I only spent 3 days in Orlando area and even drove to a space shuttle launch.(the first and last time I've ever seen a shuttle launch in person) On the 4th day, I started driving back up north on I-95 to Newark. Yes, I know, I know, it was dumb.(but in all honesty, I enjoyed that trip very much) I was converted all of my old family videos from VHS/Beta/8mm videos to digital videos this month... saw the video of that Auto Train trip and started wondering this question. :)

Fast forward about 25 years.... If I'm in the DC area with my own personal car, how many days do I need to spend in Florida for the Auto Train to make financial sense? (as opposed to taking a regular Amtrak train and renting a car in Orlando)

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough to say definitively. I would say if it's less than a week and you can make the luggage allotment on Amtrak, rent a car down there. A quick search shows it being $380 round-trip for the vehicle, and otherwise relatively standard pricing for the room/seats. Consider that renting a car usually includes unlimited miles as well, so you're only paying for gas cost down there. Driving your own vehicle does have additional expenses (getting closer to the next oil change, tire change, brake change, wear/tear and depreciation, etc.) If the rental vehicle is less than $380, I'd rent a vehicle down there.

I would say a week or less not to bother with the Auto Train. Over two weeks, especially if you nave to transport a lot of items (luggage) in addition to people, I would say Auto Train.

Depends on the vehicle as well. We (wife and one kid) spent a week in FL with some friends (friend and her two kids), and wanted a car that we could all fit in to go places. Choices were 1) My Tahoe on the Auto Train, or 2) Rent a vehicle large enough for 3 adults and 3 kids. For the 5 or 6 day trip, the Auto train came out ahead.

Just have to do the math and see what works. Personally, I'd rather pay a little more and have *my* vehicle than some crappy rental. It's also worth something to be able to not have to deal with bags. Load up at home, unload at the hotel.

What Ryan said. There is a convenience bonus. That said, rental cars in FL, particularly in Miami and Orlando are sometimes very cheap and then the Auto Train seems like a waste. I like to take the Auto Train south, off season, see my friends in FL and drive home. That way the fun gets started right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back