How many times are they going to hike the fares on the NEC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
legally extorting
not_sure_if_serious.png

It'd be great if Congress funded Amtrak with boatloads of money and train travel could be cheap.

Or Congress funded Amtrak with boatloads of money so that they could quadruple the amount of rolling stock they have, increasing supply and reducing pricing.

But since those things aren't likely to happen any time soon, good for Amtrak for maximizing their revenue to the extent possible.

I can buy a Megabus ticket for travel tomorrow, leaving Philadelphia at 6 AM and New York at 6:15 PM, for $18.50 round trip. On Amtrak that equivalent roundtrip is $166. What you are paying for Amtrak is reliability and comfort. That Megabus trip leaving New York is scheduled for 2 hours and 35 minutes and doubtless even if Amtrak at 1 hour and 26 minutes is late, it is unlikely that it would be late one full hour.

NJT/SEPTA leaving at 6:03 pm is scheduled for 2 hours 23 minutes outbound from NYC, and the 5:53 am departure from 30th Street Station takes 2 hours 15 minutes inbound to NYC - including the wait at Trenton. Cost roundtrip is $41. So essentially, you are paying $125+ more to save two hours. If Amtrak thinks they can charge this amount, more power to them, but at some point they will alienate riders, especially since there are no free "standby" privileges unlike the airlines have for their prime customers.

There are many options for travel between NYP and PHL. You are not being forced to use Amtrak. If you don't like it, you can drive, take a bus, or take SEPTA/NJT commuter rail.

NJT/SEPTA leaving at 6:03 pm is scheduled for 2 hours 23 minutes outbound from NYC, and the 5:53 am departure from 30th Street Station takes 2 hours 15 minutes inbound to NYC - including the wait at Trenton. Cost roundtrip is $41. So essentially, you are paying $125+ more to save two hours. If Amtrak thinks they can charge this amount, more power to them, but at some point they will alienate riders, especially since there are no free "standby" privileges unlike the airlines have for their prime customers.
Whatever makes you think that Amtrak is seriously interested in capturing the New York - Philadelphia market from Megabus or NJT/SEPTA? Their fare setting policies have made it amply clear that they are more interested in longer distance passengers. They used to have a class of trains called Clockers that exclusively served the NYP - PHL market, which they got rid of as fast as they could convince NJT to take them over and the slots used by them at Penn Station.
They also used to have a boat load of riders from Princeton Jct and New Brunswick, which they have all dumped by simply removing the stops for most trains there, or getting rid of the trains and dumping them on NJT too.

I am sure no one at Amtrak is losing sleep over the possibility of losing New York to Philadelphia riders at present.

That is true, considering that Keystone fares are only $3-$6 more for the additional 105 miles to Harrisburg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody wants to pay more. However, are those trains running full?
That's the right question to ask! And, yes, many of the trains I take (like lennyj I commute NYP-PHL, although I do so 20ish days a month on a monthly pass) are packed - with no ability to add more trains (and maybe no ability to add more cars?), raising prices just makes sense for Amtrak.
I just wonder what's happened to the concept of "for the greater good"? There was the original Federal Highway Act (late 1920s) - because getting the Model Ts out of the mud was for the greater good. And there was the Rural Electrification Act to bring electricity to those for whom it would be prohibitive - again, deemed to be for the greater good. Then we had the Interstate Highway Act (wrapped in DoW goodness) - but again, for the greater good. It seems now the federal government only has money for corporate pork, but the concept of for the greater good has disappeared. The Federal highway funding runs $40b/yr (beyond the HTF) - to build/upgrade what isn't practical for those small locales to do such. Why don't trains, and engendering a FlyAmtrak vs drive your Japanese Iron, not count as for the greater good? What would it really cost short term to fund Amtrak so that it could get the rolling stock that it needs to really run a schedule... I suspect a small subset of what gets spent on highways per year, and a very small fraction that goes into corporate welfare. Maybe if Amtrak was of sufficient size, then it could charge lesser fares simply due to economy of scale... but funding it as now where it is barely staying alive, and basically incapable of growing... not for the greater good.

I'm getting a kick out of all this Cheerleading for "Maximizing-Profits" because its Amtrak. I wonder if the same people champion the Gas Companies, Banks, Airlines (which are NOT public transit) and Insurance companies for what those industries consider "Maximizing Profits", record profits in some cases. I'm sorry but I must call BS if that is an excuse.

Did you know this is the 2nd Fare hike on the NEC in less than a Year the other took place back around NOV - DEC. Also why is it seems like the NEC must get reamed to death while fares on the rest of the Network seems to remain steady over the years. Is this just fact of Amtrak taking advantage of "The only well with any water" so to speak.

I bet we're also in for a hike in AGR tickets as well....Is 5K points soon to be required for NEC travel, which I also think like fares needs to be calculated based on distance... A person going from NYP - PHL shouldn't have to pay the same points as someone going NYP-WAS or NYP-BOS.

What they could do to alleviate "trains running full" at rush hour is allow either NJT to run limited service between PHL - NYP stopping only at 30th Street in PA. Or Allow SEPTA to run service to NYP, running express between TRE and NWK. That will free up a lot of room on Amtrak, but see PHL-NYP one-seat ride commuting is a BIG cash cow for Amtrak (Probably the biggest city pairs in the entire Network) I doubt they would concede that market to Transit.

I don't have a problem with a company maximizing profits. It is when companies bend the laws into their favor or do unethical things to make those huge profits. Some examples of this is shifting profits to overseas companies to avoid US taxes, hiring temp workers so they don't need to pay benefits and avoid the workers unionizing, paying off politicians for political favors, etc.

I don't have a problem with a company maximizing profits. It is when companies bend the laws into their favor or do unethical things to make those huge profits. Some examples of this is shifting profits to overseas companies to avoid US taxes, hiring temp workers so they don't need to pay benefits and avoid the workers unionizing, paying off politicians for political favors, etc.
I agree with your position, but remember that Congress makes the laws impacting taxes, tariffs and foreign practices.

There are Transfer Pricing laws on the books as well as laws that dictate taxes on repatriation of funds. Many states

have laws defining what constitutes a part-time & full-time worker and the voters of some states determine unionization

practices. Of course, paying off politicians (or anyone) for political favors is unacceptable.

Did you know this is the 2nd Fare hike on the NEC in less than a Year the other took place back around NOV - DEC. Also why is it seems like the NEC must get reamed to death while fares on the rest of the Network seems to remain steady over the years. Is this just fact of Amtrak taking advantage of "The only well with any water" so to speak.
This is false. Fares are up systemwide.

do unethical things
but remember that Congress makes the laws impacting taxes, tariffs and foreign practices.
There is a big difference between what is legal and what is ethical. It'd be great if the two were more closely aligned, but as long as the folks with money get to write the laws, that ain't going to happen.

This simply isn't true. The prices on the Empire Builder were increased at the same time. My 2011 $54 low-bucket coach ticket from St. Paul to Minot is now $70. The roomette that was $84 is now somewhere in the nineties. Plus it's now terribly difficult to get anything in the lowest bucket (that's why I don't know how much the roomette costs), so the real price of coach seat is often $91 or $119, and the roomette is pretty much always $144. It's reduced the frequency of my trips to see my aged mother, but that's the way things work. I don't even have the cheap options (Megabus, etc.) you do, so it's difficult for me to muster much sympathy.

ETA: beaten to the punch by Ryan.

Yep - tolls just went up here in Maryland and the complaining about it is pretty epic.
Strangely, people think that roads just spring forth from the magical road fairy and maintain themselves or something.
This is what fuel tax, Federal and State income tax is supposed to cover. Though if those rates are low enough, then I don't disagree with pay-to-use.

Yeah, but you actually provided data. :D Gold star for you.

Yep - tolls just went up here in Maryland and the complaining about it is pretty epic.

Strangely, people think that roads just spring forth from the magical road fairy and maintain themselves or something.
This is what fuel tax, Federal and State income tax is supposed to cover. Though if those rates are low enough, then I don't disagree with pay-to-use.
We just raised the fuel tax for the first time in 20 years or so here too (to the same chorus of complaining). Certainly a mixture of the two is appropriate. The problem boils down to people wanting nice stuff and not wanting to pay for it.

Yeah, but you actually provided data. :D Gold star for you.

We just raised the fuel tax for the first time in 20 years or so here too (to the same chorus of complaining). Certainly a mixture of the two is appropriate. The problem boils down to people wanting nice stuff and not wanting to pay for it.
Or, maybe people feel they're already paying enough, just those monies are being subverted to things they don't want, but are politically convenient for the politicos.... currently 56 cents of every tax dollar taken in (read that carefully - it doesn't say 56% of the budget, and it doesn't say anything about SS or Medicare monies) are going to the bomb builders... wonder how many tax payers really want that? No, I think the correct statement is: the tax payers feel they're paying more than enough, yet they don't see the benefits they'd expect/desire. What would it take - 0.2% of the total federal budget to ENTIRELY fund Amtrak, never mind just making up the differences btwn revenue and costs which is currently done?

Here is the thing - I would rather see more of our tax dollars go towards amtrak, because I agree that a vibrant and well managed rail system (and other forms of public transit) are good for the country. But apparently people in congress don't agree, and thus there is a congressional push to make amtrak more reliant on fares. As long as there is that push in congress, then amtrak is doing what they should be doing, which is raising more money from fares.

So if you don't want to see continued fare increases, vote for congresspeople that support rail funding. We can rant and complain all we want on AU, but it is really kind of pointless.

ETA: Do I like paying higher fares? Of course not. I am lucky in that I can afford to choose to take amtrak even when there are other, more economical options. I realize not everyone has that choice.

Valid point. I'll revise and expand:

The problem is twofold: 1)People want nice things, but don't want to pay for them and 2)People don't want to pay for things that they don't see the value for.

Part 1 is just irrational.

Part two is just a part of living in a society.

Sadly, I don't see either one getting fixed anytime soon.

(personally, I agree - I don't see the need to spend the megabucks that we do on the military. I say that as a former Naval Officer and current Defense contractor)

What they could do to alleviate "trains running full" at rush hour is allow either NJT to run limited service between PHL - NYP stopping only at 30th Street in PA. Or Allow SEPTA to run service to NYP, running express between TRE and NWK. That will free up a lot of room on Amtrak, but see PHL-NYP one-seat ride commuting is a BIG cash cow for Amtrak (Probably the biggest city pairs in the entire Network) I doubt they would concede that market to Transit.
Who is the "they" that you speak of. Amtrak has zero control over what NJT or SEPTA does, and in principle those two are quite free to run whatever service they want provided they pay appropriate trackage charges for them. Amtrak's exclusivity has been removed from the relevant regulations quite a while back.
It is another matter that SEPTA and NJT cannot, or do not want to operate such service. Afterall they already have enough funding problems, and they are generally reluctant to take on additional operating costs that are not fully covered by revenues and other sources. Naturally they will have to negotiate trackage, and Amtrak is no better than UP or CSX when the shoe is on the other foot. In fact in some senses they are worse. A quick study of how NJT trains are treated by Amtrak would make that amply obvious.

So your hypothesis above is not sustainable by the facts as they exist today. Indeed Amtrak very enthusiastically discontinued the Clocker set of trains and handed them over lock stock and barrel to NJT. It turns out that NJT chose to continue service only upto Trenton in the form of the outer zone express service on their NEC line. The Keystone set of trains actually do not replicate much of the Clocker service, except for the NYP - PHL through traffic, and they don't exactly run full all the time in spite of being just 5 Regional car consists. One stands a much better chance of getting a cheaper ticket on a Keystone than on a Regional.

There is a fundamental problem of the huge traffic imbalance that occurs beyond Trenton (indeed beyond Hamilton). It simply does not make sense to run a 10 or 12 car train to Philadelphia every hour, and for some operational reason NJT does not like to split trains en route. OTOH it is important to run as long trains as possible within NJ due to the huge intra-state demand. But this is almost a secondary issue at present given the lack of funding for through service.

Very Interesting topic! Ryan pretty well summed it up, there is No Free Lunch! ;) Yet people want stuff from the Government without paying for it! :blink: Down here in Texas TEMPO sets the Fares and Prices for the Texas Eagle and they have Increased Substantially in the past 2 years due to Increased Demand! (Example, 2 years ago the Coach Rail Fare AUS-CHI was $95/ Low Bucket and now it is $133! Roomettes Low Bucket used to be $122, now they are $164 and go up to $365!!! Southwest Airlines has Flights as low as $99 from Austin to CHI Midway if Booked Early yet the Eagle Ridership continues to Increase and on Many Days, especially the 3 times a Week #421/#422 LAX-CHI , the Rooms are High Bucket or SOLD OUT!!!

Thankfully The Shorter Segments on the Eagle, such as my Point Runs AUS-TAY-AUS, have only gone up a Few Dollars! :)

I save my AGR Points for LD Trips so I can "Afford" to ride in a Sleeper! ;)

It is just that they wish the per passenger mile subsidy for Amtrak to be similar to for other transport modes for the Amtrak the train operating company.
Unfortunately this is also not a realistic goal. While subsidy per pax/mile can be a very useful metric, in this case it's not giving one the full picture. Amtrak actually gets fewer total dollars than highways does, yet it has a higher subsidy per passenger mile because the amount of miles driven is huge. It's like comparing the amount of grains of sand in a sand box in your backyard to the Jersey shore. They're not even in the same ball park.

If Amtrak were moving people as far as cars on what it currently gets, its subsidy per pax mile would be far lower than what drivers are getting.

Oh yeah. I did not mean to say or imply that it is the best measure or anything like that. But knowing how the adversaries are thinking about it may make it easier to come up with a devious plan to get their buy in by trading on some other factor to gain a bit more in permissible subsidy per pasgr-mile. Afterall, there may even be stuff that is currently counted in psgr-mile cost that could be dumped out to the Infrastructure outfit.

Also once there is clear separation between Infra and Operations the alleged insidious USRA legacy cross subsidy built into Amtrak accounting that many complain about will become completely visible and its true magnitude will become eminently clear instead of the current cloak and dagger accounting malarchy, which will make it easier to come to a more amicable agreement. Just IMHO of course.

BTW Alan, I have some additional info on this which I will be happy to share with you privately one of these days when we meet up. Really fascinating stuff, but unfortunately I am sworn to complete secrecy as far as sharing in a public forum is concerned.

Remembering $1 per gallon gasoline? I remember when members of Congress said that increasing the price of gasoline to $1 per gallon would cause a revolution in America and people would simply stop driving. Now they say that about $5 per gallon gasoline.
And I can remember purchasing gasoline for my car at 29.9 CENTS per gallon.
Don't forget they used to give you a free drinking glass with a fill-up from time to time too. :)

Remembering $1 per gallon gasoline? I remember when members of Congress said that increasing the price of gasoline to $1 per gallon would cause a revolution in America and people would simply stop driving. Now they say that about $5 per gallon gasoline.
And I can remember purchasing gasoline for my car at 29.9 CENTS per gallon.
Don't forget they used to give you a free drinking glass with a fill-up from time to time too. :)
And free maps!

Ahhh... the drinking glasses. We had the Muppets set and Captain Caveman. :) I think he was part of a larger Hanna Barbera series. I seem to remember having the Scooby Gang too. Oh! And we had glasses with the "B.C." characters... and Beetle Bailey...

Some of those may have been from Little Caesars and Arby's. Glasses were all the rage when I was a kid. I keep meaning to grab some off eBay.

Here is the thing - I would rather see more of our tax dollars go towards amtrak, because I agree that a vibrant and well managed rail system (and other forms of public transit) are good for the country. But apparently people in congress don't agree, and thus there is a congressional push to make amtrak more reliant on fares. As long as there is that push in congress, then amtrak is doing what they should be doing, which is raising more money from fares.
So if you don't want to see continued fare increases, vote for congresspeople that support rail funding. We can rant and complain all we want on AU, but it is really kind of pointless.

ETA: Do I like paying higher fares? Of course not. I am lucky in that I can afford to choose to take amtrak even when there are other, more economical options. I realize not everyone has that choice.
Or, at least let those that are in office, know what you think and how you feel - short of that, and maybe independent of that, they'll continue to behave as part of the best government money can buy. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back