How much do Viewliners weigh?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

F40PHR231

Train Attendant
Buddy of mine emailed me that question. Figured I'd help him... (I know member Viewliner's around here somewhere!) :)

I want to say the majority of the single level cars weigh between 75-80 tons. So that's my best guess.

F40PHR231, I believe our member Viewliner is on vacation. You might check his website for this info. Actually I checked it myself, read through very quickly(am busy at work) and did not see the weight listed. But if you have time to read more slowly you might find it.

I believe our member Viewliner is on vacation.
I would've heard if he were on vacation, I regularly talk to him on Instant Messenger. My money is on overloaded with work at school or he's sick.

battalion51 said:
I would've heard if he were on vacation, I regularly talk to him on Instant Messenger. My money is on overloaded with work at school or he's sick.
He said he was going on vacation in one of his posts a while back. Most schools up here start next week after Labor Day on September 2 through the 5.

Amfleet said:
battalion51 said:
He said he was going on vacation in one of his posts a while back. Most schools up here start next week after Labor Day on September 2 through the 5.
You guys are lucky! We started down here on August 11-25. I started this past monday :(

Starting school the Tuesday after Labor day was a sacred tradition for years---everywhere I am sure. I really feel sorry for you guys who have already started. I see kids already going to school on Marta and I think---what a bummer.

Good ol Hoosac Valley High School starts for me this comming up Wednesday, and that has pretty much ALWAYS been the case for around here in Western Mass, the wednesday after labor day.

Savoy Elementry, the school in the town I live in, started tuesday but they usually get out LATER then us in the summer since they have a TON of snowdays since Savoy always gets hammered by snow in the winter!

Im not ready to go back to school, man Ive been using my off time to work on the layout, and its comming along great! uggh!

Since we're on the subject, does anybody know the weight of:

1) Superliner Diner

2) Superliner Sightseer Lounge

3) Superliner Coach

4) Superliner Sleeper

seajay

120-152 tons is the number stuck in my head for the Superliners, that's probably a pretty good estimate.

Is there any weight difference between Superliner I's and Superliner II's?

seajay said:
Is there any weight difference between Superliner I's and Superliner II's?
Probably not, but I'm guseeing there would be variations in wieght for differest types of Superliners. Just a guess, but Sleeping Cars weight the most and Lounges probably weigth the least.

I'm going to agree with Jon, there is probably a fairly small (relative) weight difference between the two.

Youre kidding right seajay?!

Well even if there was a difference in weights with the paint schemes, it would be so minute compared to the total weight of the car it would be irrelivent.

Actually, sejays question makes perfect sense. When airlines paint their planes it adds a significant amount of wieght to the vehicle, thus driving up fuel costs. That's why American Airlines left their planes unpainted except for the upside down Amtrak Phase III scheme along the window band. With rail cars being much smaller than airplanes and Amtrak not painting the whole car, but just under or on the window band, then there is most likely little or no difference in weight between paint schemes (we're talking pounds difference).

Which paint schemes would make the least and the most weight differences?

seajay said:
Which paint schemes would make the least and the most weight differences?
I think the would all way pretty much the same, but as one covers up the other the weight adds up. On the Superliners I would guess Phases II and III weighed more than Phase IV. Then again there was that silver decal used in Phase IV to cover up to old Phase II and III Paint.

Do they need to upgrade a car's suspension each time they paint it?

Yes I repeat my earlier quote again, like amfleet just said, this is a couple of pounds on something that weighs over a hundred tons!! Im sure a little extra paint isnt going to bottom out the shock absorbers!

Do the different colors of paint used have different weights? For example, is red paint heavier than blue paint or visa versa?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back