How much of the Amtrak map has one covered?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of The Lake Cities, I'm glad I managed to get the Erie-Lackawanna iteration of that train on its Hoboken-Chicago Dearborn Station run, which ended a year before Amtrak day. It was one of many that I went on a marathon riding binge "while I could", before Amtrak day...wish I could go back in time and get a lot more in that I missed...
That would be a whole other thread....;)

@Steve4031 Well done :)

I did take the Sunset Limited from Miami to LA in 1994 but the Texas Eagle from Chicago to San Antonio is my big miss.
I was scheduled to take the Sunset from Orlando to New Orleans, but due to the Hurricane the train got canceled. So they put me on the Silver from Orlando to DC, and the Cresent from DC to New Orleans and I got a free upgrade from roomette to bedroom.

I have a lot of the map yet to cover and I suspect some of it I will never get to such as Washington to Florida. At some point I hope to do the Empire Builder, the Coast Starlight, the CZ portion west of Grand Junction, and the Sunset Limited.

At least I have 2 former routes that will probably never come back at least not on the previous trackage - the Broadway Limited and the Montrealer. Also the Vermonter when it ran via New London and the New England Central to Palmer.

I have a long way to go to catch up to Nat Read, but I have covered all the LD routes except the Spokane-Everett leg of the Empire Builder. Otherwise, the parts of the current Amtrak map that I haven't ridden: Lynchburg-Roanoke, Richmond-Newport News, Petersburg-Norfolk, Raleigh-Greensboro, Battle Creek-Port Huron, the line up to Grand Rapids, Galesburg-Quincy, St. Louis-KCY, Fort Worth-OK City, Bakersfield-Martinez/Sacramento.

Some Amtrak routes from the past that I did cover: Montrealer via New London and Palmer as well as via Northampton; Broadway Limited via Lima and Fort Wayne as well as via Akron and Garrett; Lake Cities Toledo-Detroit; SW Chief via Streator and Chillicothe and also on the old Santa Fe route into LA via Pomona; National Limited Pittsburgh-Dayton; the Waldo line between Jacksonville and Auburndale in FL; and the old Seaboard route Richmond-Raleigh via Henderson (and edit to add, more times than I can count, Spuyten Duyvil to Grand Central Terminal). Of course, there are lots of others, especially the Pioneer and Desert Wind, that I wish I'd been smart enough to take while they were still running.

Last edited:
All the current long distance routes except the lamentable Eagle.

The Pioneer, Desert Wind, and the Sunset East of the ones that are gone.

Cascades, Surfliner/San Diegan, San Joaquins, Capitol Corridor, Michigan services, Northeast Regionals, Acela, Adirondack and Empire Service in the Corridors.

Missing the Downeaster, Carolinian, Pennsylvanian, Lincoln Service, Vermonter, Ethan Allen Express and Autotrain.

Charlotte - Raleigh on Piedmont.

Charlotte - NYP on Crescent and Greesnboro-NYP on Carolinian

Dade City-Tampa back in the 1990s just for a fun ride while visiting in-laws (which does not exist now on the Amtrak Network)

Tampa-Raleigh on Silver Star with Tampa to Lakeland on a Thruway bus if memory is correct.

I have done the ENTIRE Staten Island railroad from end to end and back again. All in the same day. :)

(I am on the Crescent NYP-GRO as I type this.) Using my phone's hotspot so good internet speed.

I actually keep track of this because my dream is to ride every train in the Amtrak network from end to end before I die. To date I have completed the following routes:
Silver Meteor
Silver Star
Palmetto
Auto Train
Capital Limited
Cardinal
Pennsylvanian (as the Broadway Limited)
Lake Shore Limited (both sections)
Northeast Regional (including the Norfolk and Newport News branches)
Hartford Line
Sunset Limited
California Zephyr

I have ridden portions of the following routes:
Crescent
Coast Starlight
Empire Service

I've done all the current long distance trains endpoint to endpoint except the Cardinal. Also rode the Sunset from Miami, the Broadway Limited and the Montrealer before they were discontinued.

I’m riding the Rocky Mountaineer Vancouver-Kamloops-Banff as we speak, and yesterday rode a seaplane and the SeaBus. Had already rode (some of) the SkyTrain last year after taking the Canadian, and also did the West Coast Express all the way to Mission. The way I managed a sane-day return was using buses - took a few local buses to a mall in Abbotsford, and the 66 Fraser Valley Express to the SkyTrain.

As for Amtrak, it does bug me a bit that I’ve missed the Coast Starlight north of Eugene (though I did Portland-Olympia on a Cascades for the Gathering) and have yet to see Oregon in daylight, the Cascades Seattle-Vancouver (despite being in the area twice), and am also missing the Zephyr between Salt Lake City and Glenwood Springs. Additionally, I’m missing the LSL/CL between CHI and TOL (living in Michigan makes that out of my way) and the eastbound LSL (boarding time in Toledo being the deterrent there). Finally, I also haven’t rode the Florida trains or the Crescent (having to go a bit out of my way to DC + 2 days of flex dining makes those unattractive) and several corridor services…
Thanks for sharing the Wikipedia article stating that it was suspended on March 19, 2011.

I spent a lot of time traveling riding trains in British Columbia in September-October 2011, did a full circle North Vancouver-Whistler-Quesnel-Jasper Bus tour down to Banff-Kamloops-Vancouver Rocky Mountaineer tour with my grandmother, before staying in Vancouver and doing the entire SkyTrain system and West Coast Express (except the leg out Mission because I couldn't figure out how to return to Vancouver that same evening).

I for a long time I've had this feeling of regret that the Malahat was still running in Fall 2011 and it was my own lack of adventure that kept me from going over to Vancouver Island to ride it. It makes me feel good to see that it was already suspended by Fall 2011 and I didn't miss it.

I've done all the current long distance trains endpoint to endpoint except the Cardinal. Also rode the Sunset from Miami, the Broadway Limited and the Montrealer before they were discontinued.
I also rode the Sunset from Miami. Back in 1993 or 1994, I can’t remember which, my dad and I did a trip around the entire country. We took the Sunset from Miami to LA but had to be bussed from Jacksonville to New Orleans due to wildfires somewhere along the gulf coast.

Did ride the last version of the Cape Codder in 1996 - 4 hours from Boston to Hyannis doomed it

View attachment 33248
Interesting that they made it a Boston to Cape Cod train. The original 1986 version was NYC to Cape Cod, as was the original New Haven service.
capecodder july 1986.jpeg

I regrettably never had a chance to ride that train, nor the current MBTA service.

All of the current long distance trains except the Silver Star and the Autotrain; I've ridden a few shorter routes including the Downeaster, Lincoln Service, Pacific Surfliner, Northeast Corridor, and the Cascades.
And the Wolverine, Heartland Flyer, and Vermonter as well. I guess it's a nice problem to have if you can't remember all the trains you've ridden on.🙂

I've done the full routes of Southwest Chief, Lakeshore Ltd, and Coast Starlight. I've done large stretches of the Sunset Ltd, Texas Eagle, CA Zephyr, and Empire Builder. Also the full Downeaster short one station, and most of the Surfliner. I'm planning future trips to include the Crescent, Cardinal, Capitol Ltd, and whichever of the Silvers goes through Charleston SC and Savannah GA. I'd like to ride them all, but it's getting harder to afford the trips, so who knows. Still, my favorite way to see the country.

Strictly Amtrak - Empire Builder PDX end to end and back, Cascades PDX to Van BC, Coast Starlight from K Falls to PDX long ago (and more in SP days long, long ago), Lake Shore South Bend to NYC, NER NYC to DC, consolidated Silvers DC to Orlando and back, Cap Limited DC to Chicago, and some Pre-Amtrak on routes they still use. And some outside the country rail travel too. Hope to add to it on Amtrak and VIA soon.

I have traveled on all the current Amtrak routes including some of them multiple times. I have traveled on many pre-Amtrak routes, some of which no longer have rails. I currently reside in Hot Springs, AR and have traveled to and from Hot Springs on the Missouri Pacific route most of which was abandoned shortly after the passenger service was discontinue on 1/20/64. I have traveled on many trains in Europe as well. I would travel by train if rail passenger service existed. It is amazing that many people don't know trains still exist. Right here in Hot Springs, the freight train only runs once per week on Wednesday, so people never see trains.

Making progress but a lot to go yet. The Xed out part is when the Texas Eagle got canceled and we all got bussed to San Antonio. Will be finishing the Sunset Limited run as the last trip for this year.
Nice progress! Do note that your map is out of date: the Ethan Allen Express now continues north of Rutland, VT to Burlington, VT.

On the current map:
Coast Starlight
San Diegan
San Joaquin route including Sacramento
Empire Builder — both legs
California Zephyr
Southwest Chief
City of New Orleans
Silver Star to JAX
Silver Meteor to Orlando (Champion when I rode)
Carolinian
Newport News and Norfolk branches
Capitol Limited
Pennsylvanian
Lake Shore Limited to NY and Boston
Maple Leaf
Adirondack
Vermonter
Downeaster In Massachusetts
Countless NE corridor trains

Former Routes:
-Montrealer — New London-Willimantic-Amherst-Brattleboro and St.Albans-Montreal
-Broadway Limited PIT-CHI via Canton and Fort Wayne
-Three Rivers CHI-PIT via B&O main line
-Sunset Limited JAX-NOL
-Silver Meteor via original Seaboard Airline Route Richmond-Raleigh and Savanah-Fort Lauderdale.
-some funky detours in Georgia and Illinois

I've ridden the Crescent from end to end. Texas Eagle Chicago to Tucson. Capital Limited end to end. Sunset Tucson to New Orleans. Also done the Rocky Mountaineer from Vancouver to Banff, Vancouver Skytrain and VIA from Montreal to Ottawa. Also did Korail from Seoul to a station that I don't remember-that was over 30 years ago.

Have ridden the following - still a bit to go for me:

End to end:
- Northeast Corridor Mainline Boston - Washington (regional, Acela, others)
- Washington - Richmond corridor (on various)
- Springfield Line Springfield - New Haven (a zillion times - my home service)
- Springfield - Greenfield MA - CT river line (Vermonter and Valley Flyer)
- Silver Star
- Silver Meteor
- Auto Train
- Lake Shore Limited Boston section Boston - Chicago
- California Zephyr
- Southwest Chief

Partials:
- Pennsylvanian (New York - Altoona PA)
- Vermonter (Springfield MA - Essex Jct VT)
- Crescent (New York - Atlanta GA) * will be extending that to Meridian MS this year.
- Coast Starlight (Emeryville - Los Angeles section)

Can't say that we are anywhere close to Nat Read's achievement. Our train trips tend to be LD vacation related and we have been on the Crescent, SWC, EB,and CZ for overnights multiple times. On the Eastern routes we have traveled on the Autotrain, CL, and Cardinal for overnights as well. Add in numerous Acela and NEC trips and thats about it. What we hope to see one day are direct trips to the midwest and to southern states like TX, TN, KY without having to change at CHI.

Back