How to get the BEST DEALS in First Class?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tourlink99

Train Attendant
I always travel on "RAIL SALE" specials! As we all know, when you purchase "RAIL SALE" You have to make any upgrades on board. Can any one make suggestions on what is the best appoach to the conductor to get the lowest price. besides the obvious of not traveling during holidays.

I dont think there is really any "wheeling and dealing" prices with sleepers. The charges for all rail fares and sleepers are listed in a book called a tariff. These are set prices by Amtrak on which all charges are based. Personelly, I won't travel overnight without a sleeper, I had a couple bad trips years ago riding coach overnight, so I won't board with out a sleeper ticket, and never bought a ticket on the Rail Sale or E-bay. If a sleeper is that importent to you, you may want to consider buying a traditional ticket that will let you purchase an upgrade on the spot. Also most Conductors don't like playing the role of Ticket Agent, so they are most likely not going to go out of there way to try to save you any money for a sleeper even if they can.

If there are empty sleeper rooms available all the way to your destination, the conductor will be more than happy to let you upgrade on board. The best way to do this is get on and seated with your regular coach ticket and then when the conductor comes around to take tickets, politely ask if there are any sleepers available for upgrades. He may have to finish taking tickets and then go check, so don't hurry them. Also don't ask the coach attendants as they don't have any say in this. The price will depend on how far your trip is and how many meals are included. Quite often conductors will give the sleeper to you for about half of the regular price since half is better than an empty sleeper earning no money. They only accept cash or credit card for onboard upgrades. As you mentioned, travelling during less busy times give you a better chance to upgrade onboard. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back