how to save $$$ on sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
I have always been trying to "beat the system" with Amtrak fares. I have found something that will be of intrest to you all. I haven't had time to look into too many trains to see if this works on all of them, but here is just one very good example on how to save a few extra bucks. This was researched on Amtraks web site.

1) get out your "capitol limited" timetable. I punched in any date in march of 04. since I live in the Detroit area of michigan, sometimes I jump on the Capitol Limited in Toledo for an overnight ride. Check a one way fare from Toledo to Washington dc ( tol - was) w/AAA discount for 1 person. Now add a deluxe sleeper. The one way fare (for the date I checked) with the deluxe sleeper was $222.70. This is where your timetable comes in handy, notice the first station west of DC, Rockville MD. replace WAS with Rockville which you will notice is only 17 miles west of DC. The fare drops from $222.70 to $187.70 a $35 savings. I know your saying how do I get to DC ? Easy.. now go back and make a one way ticket from Rockville to DC (AAA adult again) the coach fare is $4.50. A $30.50 savings for traveling in coach for the last 17 miles ...BIG DEAL. And it works exactly the same going westbound too !!

2) If 1 standard sleeper is not big enough for your family or party and the price of a Deluxe is insane, check the price for 2 standard rooms. Departing WAS on Nov 18 on the silver meteor to Kississmee, Fl they wanted $681 for just the Deluxe room (not including the rail fare) I booked 2 standard rooms for $297.00 WHAT A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!! Amtrak is scaring people off with some of these crazy sleeper prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back